Rant - Nissan Tygervalley 30km

Christie

Hi everyone

Wessel and co did mention at the start that they will be seeding from the next race onwards. This was the first event and because they opted to make it cheaper and do the adin thmselves they did not have access to a seeding system.

In other words - this first event was the seeding event so the next one would not have to battle congestion.

I think we all agree the course was awesome and that if the seeding issue is resolved (which it is after race 1 as stated above) the rest of the series will be worth while attending. I know I will!

I live out near where we raced and I was amazed to find such an incredible route so close to home!

See you all at the Diamond rush!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In other words - this first event was the seeding event so the next one would not have to battle congestion.

You have to be kidding me, how can they use this race as a seeding race given the enormous problems that were apparent ?

So you now have a guy like Jules, who should under normal circumstances be a top 10 finisher, starting at the back/middle of the field because of the massive bottlenecks!

Unfair if you ask me !!

Rather pay the money and seed based on the national database otherwise your turnout for the remainder of the series will be seriously compromised.

The Thug2009-06-22 02:28:50

Hi everyone

?

Wessel and co did mention at the start that they will be seeding from the next race onwards. This was the first event and because they opted to make it cheaper and do the adin thmselves they did not have access to a seeding system.

?

?

I think we all agree the course was awesome and that if the seeding issue is resolved (which it is after race 1 as stated above) the rest of the series will be worth while attending. I know I will!

?

I live out near where we raced and I was amazed to find such an incredible route so close to home!

?

See you all at the Diamond rush!

OK a step in the right direction. BUT...how can you take this race as a seeding one? Lets go back to the 30km and the fastest guys being stuck at the back due to whatever reasons....now all of a sudden they are somewhere way way down the list on the results page and they get a k@k seeding for the next race? Also imagine Phillip Buys or someone of the front guys gets puncture 1st 5km and then fixes it and rejoins the race, gets to sit in a queue and oh no doesn't finish top 10. Will you seed him with us weekend warriors the next race? Maybe expand the seeding events a bit... bored girl2009-06-22 02:44:53

Pity i missed this one' date=' sounds like fun. [/quote']

Nope you didn't miss much, worse race I've ridden ever in terms of organization. Standing next to your bike in the forest section for over an hour due to congestion was not fun. That could have all been sorted if the front faster riders joining the slower riders 6km into the race because of dodgy race markings.

I think a very important point is being missed here. I don't see how you will be able to balance all the factor without the riders taking some responsibility.

1. Be honest and start where you think you belong. Stop with the sorry, sorry, excuse me crap if you are not a real contender.

2. Be considerate to others behind you. We all hit a sh*tty patch sometime but then don't hog the line. I'm not asking you to do something stupid but if you have to walk a 0.0023% incline do so but move of the line.

3. Next time you pass the helper that stand in the wind, sun, rain and snow all day to point you in the right direction say THANK YOU you bloody bastard. No not him, you!

Most of the issues, not all, can be resolved if you consider those around you. We just love to put all our problems at the organizers door don't we.

Generally I enjoyed the race.  I could see that the guys did a lot of effort to find nice single track.Thumbs%20Up  <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

But yes the congestion was a pain especially through the really nice bits of ride-able single track Cry.  It did not help catching the +30km at the end but then again if I don?t want to sit in a queue I need to get fitter so that I can ride faster. 

The seeding system for MTB races will definitively help but then again I will still start in the last batch.  I did mention I need to train more.... Embarrassed

I would like to do the Cullinun race but will have to see if my wife is working that weekend.

PS: What?s up with the ?Goodie? bag.  Mine consisted out of bunch of pamphlets and a scrap of paper stating it is a voucher of some sort.  I could, however, not find where I have to redeem it after the race Wacko.

Ox_Wagon2009-06-22 03:17:42

Also imagine Phillip Buys or someone of the frong guys gets puncture 1st 5km and ...

ianj' date=' look?Wink[/quote']

Holy - you're just showing your ignorance.

Frong is a totally acceptable term being made up of the words "front" and "wrong".

i.e. the front guys who were wrong.

and you write for a living?

Big%20smile

I actually enjoyed the race, and thought the organization was quite good. I really enjoyed the singletrack next to the river and the section through the forest, but yes...i had to race until i could hardly breathe anymore to get into that position in the field. I think those that had to stand in a queue and walk the singletrack got cheated, because it really was sweet...and this needs to be addressed...and i think the best way, like Jules said, is to get the field spread out in the first 10km's on wider more open roads.

The vibe at the finish was cool... lots to eat and drink, another entertaining trails show by Dylan Victor, and a not-very-well attended prize giving and lucky draw where i won a R500 Makro gift card :))

I actually enjoyed the race' date=' and thought the organization was quite good. I really enjoyed the singletrack next to the river and the section through the forest, but yes...i had to race until i could hardly breathe anymore to get into that position in the field. I think those that had to stand in a queue and walk the singletrack got cheated, because it really was sweet...and this needs to be addressed...and i think the best way, like Jules said, is to get the field spread out in the first 10km's on wider more open roads.

The vibe at the finish was cool... lots to eat and drink, another entertaining trails show by Dylan Victor, and a not-very-well attended prize giving and lucky draw where i won a R500 Makro gift card :))[/quote']

Nice one Spaceboy smiley20.gif We left as Jules stood at the food place for about 10min without anyone paying attention and we decided we couldn't really wait as he was attending a workshop at 2

Also imagine Phillip Buys or someone of the frong guys gets puncture 1st 5km and ...

?

?

Frong is a totally acceptable term being made up of the words "front" and "wrong".

?

?

?

Big%20smile

Thanx JL that's exactly what I meant smiley2.gif

Big%20smile

Thanx JL that's exactly what I meant smiley2.gif

ok, my bad?Embarrassedand, jl, just a slight correction?i read for a living?Big%20smile 

A while ago I posted a topic - THINGS I HATE ABOUT SINGLE TRACK.

Number one on my list was:

1. When it happens within the first 5km of a race.

And this was for the exact reason as what happened here at Tygervallei. I could not attend this race, but I will be at Cullinan!

sheeeesh mtbikers can whinge.

if its to wet, to conjested, to many bridges, to many new people, whinge whinge whinge and YES I am whinging Big%20smile

sheeeesh mtbikers can whinge.

if its to wet' date=' to conjested, to many bridges, to many new people, whinge whinge whinge and YES I am whinging Big%20smile
[/quote']

It is what we do