Fox F32 RL or Rox Shock Reba Team?

Foxx

Which one of the two would anyone suggest? Is it a problem that the Rox Shocks can still compress a little while locked as opposed to the Fox that is more rigid? Thanx...

i have never had the problem of my rock shock compressing with lockout on

i have seen one or two cheaper rock shocks compressing with lockout on but that was because they were coil sprung forks not air

Love my Fox (F100 RLC), lock out is soild as a rock based on feel, however if you really watch the stanchions you will see some movement.

I played with a new Merida on Saturday with a Rockshox SID Race and the lock out did not have nearly as solid a feel to it. That said sometimes a fork needs to be compressed a couple times before the lockout operates at optimal performance - applies to both Fox and Rockshox at least.

On the Coil Sprung vs. Air sprung resulting is different lockout quality, I don't agree. The air spring on the Fox is on the left (no bearing on lockout mech.) the Rebound,compression and lockout are on the right. These features all make use of oil. Hence no bearing on air or coil spring. The same applies to Rockshox, left leg air, right leg rebound, compression and lockout. Both legs have oil.

Cut cut cut

On the Coil Sprung vs. Air sprung resulting is different lockout quality' date=' I don't agree. The air spring on the Fox is on the left (no bearing on lockout mech.) the Rebound,compression and lockout are on the right. These features all make use of oil. Hence no bearing on air or coil spring. The same applies to Rockshox, left leg air, right leg rebound, compression and lockout. Both legs have oil.
[/quote']

You are absolutely right. No fork that I know of makes use of a mechanical lock-out on the spring. It's all done with hydraulics.

Have a look at the pictures I posted in the adjacent post on Reba Poplock problems. There a hydraulic lockout is illustrated, by turning the "poplock", the valve at the other end of the damper is closed and oil can't flow into the red damper labyrinth.

Some forks offer better lockout with certain damper settings - full damping usually gives better, or more firmer lockout.

Ou RS REBA Team's compression adjusts from fully open to full compression damping or "lock Out.

If the Rock Shox lock out is not rigid then check the floodgate setting.

It may be that you have the Floodgate seting too lose and therefore there is still a little bleed past the valve.

The other reason for the soft Lock is that you oil could be due for replacement.

Last reason is that the valve is not being closed correctly so either there is dirt in the valve or a shim is bent. Both of these problems will require diassembly of the compression stack to repair.

Cut ut cut cut

The other reason for the soft Lock is that you oil could be due for replacement.

Lefty, I agree with all your possible scenarios but find this one difficult to comprehend. Even if there is water in there, lock is lock. All valves are closed and nothing can come past. Bad oil, good oil, all stays out and the fork remains hard.

Correct Lock is lock when the viscosity is within the range of that required to prevent flow.

What can happen with old oil is that on either side of the piston or valve there will be a short but sharp movement and the oil cavitates, creating a gas bubble and then there is a movement before the fork locks out.

In the case of the fork in question however, it is more likely that a mechanical problem is present.

old contaminated oil would also have dirt present which could cause a blockage preventing the valve from closing properly.

RS still has about 5mm to 10mm "bounce" when locked. fox is locked sollid. the "bounce" is to protect the internals when you hit a bump. I've ridden both so DONT ARGUEWink

Thanx guys for all the technical detail. I think these two brands would cost roughly the same. Is there any preference between the two or would the one be just as good as the other one?

Both are really good forks, I lean towards the RS because their service cycle is less frequent and the home base is local, here in Cpt, so if it needs to go away, I am only without a fork for a day or two.

Also SRAM has really been pushing the price range and you can now get a RS fork in a better class than a Fox in same price range.

I have always been a die hard Fox fan purely because of the name and the hype of the brand. The Fox I would say does have better small bump compression on the 100mm side, but who really wants a completely smooth ride anyway?

I have a F100RL on my Trance and Anthem and a Reba Race on my Santa Cruz, the Fox is more comfortable (adn I like the fact that the air 'talks' to you while riding), but I tend to be faster through the single track on the RockShox.

In the end I think it boils down to the same argument as SRAM vs Shimano, both really really good, each guy will probably vouch for the one he rides at that point.Wernervdmerwe2009-06-26 09:51:52