Riding on the wrong side of the road

Go Slow

I really can't see the sense in riding towards on coming traffic.

Your speed differential is much higher (your speed + car's speed instead of car's speed minus your speed) and if you (or the car) lose control you  are turning sharply into each other's path (this angle is much less so of you are both going in the same direction).

Mountain Lion makes a point about insurance. On a bike you are a legal road user (despite what some driver's may think). As a legal road user I'm pretty sure you need to obey the rules of the road, including travelling in the right direction.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive been narrowly missed too many times and in some quiet places, busy places, all the kinds of places and in the mindset (Im the guy thats gonna get hurt) that wise people would advise.

When all is said and done this is mine and only I am going to look after it with the kind of care it needs Smile so ----- ****em I too wanna see the red of there eyes! 

Do you stop and make use of the pedestrian crossing even when going straight? Must be very frustrating doing this all the time...

Only when there is a lot of traffic and at certian detidicated crossings that I use everyday.

As for the legal side of this, irrespective of which side of the road you are one, it is not about the money for me, I can replace the bike, my life I can?t. For me it is a matter of minimizing the risk of being hit by a car, no matter from which direction.

<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

When I was hit by the ?Blitz Patrolie? back then a lawyer was next to me in her car and the only thing the bitch cared about was making money of the third party insurance, and I was still found to be a fault. So much  for our legal system.

If you cannot depend on the joke authorities to earn their keep I say mitigate your risk as prudently as you possibly can! It's your life you are talking about so worry only about what you think! I have always ridden on the wrong side of the road into the sunrise as I can control the exposure of people not seeing me if I was on the correct side.

i also ride on the wrong side & quite frankly i couldnt be bothered what other cyclists or motorists think of me. Not once have i ever been close to an incident as the people actually see you coming from the front & thus for some unknown reason do pay attention. Ive also driven on more occasions than i care to remember with cyclists coming from the front & let me tell you that you definately do pay more attention when the cyclist is on your side of the road coming toward you.

Motorists just dont give a damn if they hit you from behind & then its sorry sorry sorry I didnt see you but then the damage is done.

I wonder what statistics show WRT accidents in the past. Been hit from the front or behind. I would think the latter. Soooo im sorry to say my life is a lot more valuable than a replaceable car.

I will continue to ride on the wrong side regardless of what anyone says & that includes the law because at the end of the day they dont give a damn about you either. You will just be another statistic lying in hospital all screwed up

Alhough i have to also say that i ride a MTB so it is rare that im on the road but after my outride there are some tar section to get home & you guessed it i ride on the wrong side of the road. If a copper has a problem with it, come lock me up then if that will make your mundane no good job any better & give you some thrill of sorts

what pisses me off with you oaks riding on the wrong side of the road, is that you expect me to move into back into the lane, while you should be the one doing that, you are the one on the wrong side!

If I am cycling on the left hand side while you pass me on my right, that would be better, but you idots want to pass me on my left and push me back into traffic!

Coming around corners having to dodge oncoming cyclist is not cool!

Please keep on the leagal side where you belong

what pisses me off with you oaks riding on the wrong side of the road' date=' is that you expect me to move into back into the lane, while you should be the one doing that, you are the one on the wrong side!

If I am cycling on the left hand side while you pass me on my right, that would be better, but you idots want to pass me on my left and push me back into traffic!

Coming around corners having to dodge oncoming cyclist is not cool!

Please keep on the leagal side where you belong
[/quote']

you can be as angry as you like with my previous post. Ive been cycling for going on close to 14 years & not once has there been a problem with a car hooting me out the way as they have on other occasions when ive been following the "legal way" or cars for that matter straddling the yellow lane that im in.

so be pissed off then, you not going to come visit me in hospital when im in traction or god forbid anything worse & i cant even remember who i am or how to go to the loo. Im going to stick to my statement as many other posts i generally agree with when it comes to cycling & doing the correct things but this is just the way i do things whether you going to like it or not

jees bru, dont take it so personal!  I am talking about all you idiots that thinks only about themself.  I didnt even read your post, but yea you are one of those idiots.

You will pass me on the wrong side of the road, push me into the traffic, endanger me and feel nothing for it because you are safe?

Is this a new thing?  I can only remember once meeting an idiot riding on the wrong side of the road in Cape Town and that was on Tiekiedraai.  A guy and his girlfriend/wife/stukkie coming down at speed and nearly taking me out and looking bewildered when I complained!  I honestly could not believe that they could do something stupid like that and I honestly can't believe there are people here on the Hub doing something similar.  Cars and trucks ride in the yellow lines and approaching them around a corner at speed just seems suicidal.

For once I agre with Linnega on the helmet issue here.  Head on you have no chance if you get hit.  If you travel at 30km/h that car is going to hit you with 60km/h MORE speed.   As if watchng out for dab motorists and erratic pedestrians isn't enough, we now have to look out for kamakazi cyclists too.  I don't even wnat to think what motorists are going to feel when they see cyclists disobeying the law once again.  It can only increase the animosity

good on you. I tell you what Cry on the left here is a noddy badge for being such brave boy with name calling.

Where in your life have you come up with such nonsense that cyclists push you into oncoming traffic. You might have well been passing them on your left with his back facing you with which meaning you would still have have to move over for the daft cyclist like me

Nevermind for what ive said above, In hind sight thinking CT roads are narrower which i never gave any thought about. My route has very wide shoulders hence i can do that kind of thing.
BumpNgrind2009-07-15 00:58:48

good on you. I tell you what Cry on the left here is a noddy badge for being such brave boy with name calling.

Where in your life have you come up with such nonsense that cyclists push you into oncoming traffic. You might have well been passing them on your left with his back facing you with which meaning you would still have have to move over for the daft cyclist like me

so sorry for hurting you feelings!  Idot is not name calling, it is a badge you can stick on your forehead next time you are on the wrong side.

Since you are a bit slow ill draw you a picture..

20090715_011429_capture1.jpg

20090715_011505_capture2.jpg

Tankman, why do you swerve out to the right? Let the idiot do it to his/her left. It is known on MTB trails that you always keep left and you avoid oncoming traffic by swerving left.

Its against the law.. If a car hit you on this side while driving in the wrong direction:

1) Your insurance will reject your claim

2) You will be held responsible for damages to the drivers car that follow the Road Traffic act

3) If you are dead meat, your life insurance policy claim will be reject

The bottom line is, that if you do something that is against the law... YOU HAVE NO CLAIM against anyone and anything

yes & you clearly did not read my blanked out message (narrow cycling spaces in the cape)I can do that type of thing on my route & there is still space even for two opposite cyclists,

oh & look you drew me some pictures. How kind/clever or whatever of you!!, did you study graphic design perhaps ?

im done with this discussion. Ive actually got some work to do