Boot Racks

mtbN00b

Hi all. I need some advice - i am looking at the possibility of buying a boot rack (hope that is what it is called) for my bike. i do not like the idea of taking off the wheels and put it on the back seat of the car. Any suggestions on which one to buy ...

Thule have a nice range of 'clip on' racks which you just clip onto your towbar. I have the 2-bike one and I'm happy with it

I have a Trapizium I used to use before my Thule Prorides, not a bad towbar mount rack, still use it for my road bike, but not my MTB (It's too important to scratch in transit LOL). I think if you want something very bike friendly, go for Thule, they aren't the cheapest but they're less likely to do damage to your bikes paint work and their build quality is excellent.

Daxiet2009-07-16 13:35:03

Saris also make one' date=' think its called Bones.

[/quote']

Yeah - and very pretty! Towbar mount as well.

*Shameless Plug*

Mate of mine is selling his 3 bike rack that mounts on the hatch of the hatchback for R400 neg

*Shameless Plug*

Thule is the way to go. Its expensive, but a tried and trusted product with great backup in SA. Go have a look at their showrrom in Woodmead (assuming you're in JHB).

Thule ride on. Needs a towbar and costs a bomb, but you'll never look back, loads a bike in under 30 seconds with both wheels on.

I agree, the ride-on is the way to go.

They were a bit pricey for me, so I got a four bike one from CRC which was about R4500 (twinny I think it is called)

Thule Clup on works like a dream, I know the Saris looks really pretty, but imo the Clip on is still the best bet for this type of thing.

you know what, i got a boot strap clip on made by holdfast & cost not even a 3rd of thules price. Both my wheels also stay on the bike & uses almost the same clips to fasten the bike to the top tube as Thules. IMO this is a much better option for the price i paid.

thule does make nice racks - im not even gonna lie but they are highway robbery with their prices

If you want photies, ill have to take tommorrow as couple of friends & myself will be out for a ride at groenkloof perhaps

you know what' date=' i got a boot strap clip on made by holdfast & cost not even a 3rd of thules price. Both my wheels also stay on the bike & uses almost the same clips to fasten the bike to the top tube as Thules. IMO this is a much better option for the price i paid.

thule does make nice racks - im not even gonna lie but they are highway robbery with their prices

If you want photies, ill have to take tommorrow as couple of friends & myself will be out for a ride at groenkloof perhaps
[/quote']

Well I got a quote from Thule Stellenbosch for clip on carriers and their pricing is very good. While I can get a el-chepo from CRC (R750 - Hollywood brand) I would rather pay R1300 and be only 20minutes drive from my supplier.

as far as im aware in my scenario holdfast is a south african product & i think they are manufactured in cape town. Just check their website if you might be interested. like i said i cant complain about my bike rack but on the other hand i think if i had the extra money back then i probaly would also have gone for thule - I still maintain they are ripping the public off though but hey thats just me

as far as im aware in my scenario holdfast is a south african product & i think they are manufactured in cape town. Just check their website if you might be interested. like i said i cant complain about my bike rack but on the other hand i think if i had the extra money back then i probaly would also have gone for thule - I still maintain they are ripping the public off though but hey thats just me

Thanks, forgot about them. A quick google does bring up their price to only a few rands less than Thule. I'm tempted to rather go Thule as it seems to have a better resale value.

Will first confirm the price on the Holdfast before I dish out some dosh Thumbs%20Up

Just came back from my LBS who stocks Holdfast - the hatchback carrier is only R150 less than THULE. Even he did not mind me commenting that I'll rather go with THULE.

Did see a 2nd hand Holdfast for R500 on GUMTREE but guess I'll be too late for that deal

Have been using a Thule 3 bike carrier for 18 months and it works very well (had to have a tow hitch fitted first however it has been worth it).

Bought a lock for it recently and although the costs are a bit on the steep side, I believe the quality is good being manufactured in Sweden (Have been transporting 3 bikes to many of the KZN races without any problems).