Leg problems when cycling, bike fit 100%

ASTANA

I v'e been everywhere (fisio's, bike fits, nereologist, orthopede, and biokenetics). My bike fit is 150% correct.

The problem I have only stops me from cycling. Nothing else not even Running.

The problem :

When I get on the bike - (bike on trainer or MTB or even spinning bike at the gym) everything is good and feels good but :

After a while -15 min or more I get this warm feeling on the side of my left leg - Where the ITB area is - after a while it moves on towards the area of the fibula head (the small bone on your lower leg sticking out on the side) and on the side of the knee also a bit on the back.

The area there then gets sore when I pedal but not as much that I feel the need to stop immpdiatly. There is a bit of loss of power.

After that -  if I continue or not, the area behind the knee and on the side of the knee / upper side calf (from the tibia down) area feel very sore and stiff.

Feels like a nerve type of pain when I straighten my leg after the ride- pain only when I straighten my leg. This normally only for a few hours or less and its back to normal.

not 100% normal - I still notice a differance between the left en the right leg in that area.

Problem is : I've had Xrays done, MRI of the knee done and.. = NOTHING

I have taken 2.5 months off with fisio but still sore as soon as I get back on the bike.

Been doing gym strengthening excercises and this does not seem to work.

The ITB area are not sore when the fisio works this area. Had a few "bumps" in the hamstring reguin , but we sorted that out.

Have also been to a nereologist and we did the testing with the machine to see of any nerves might be intrapped - but there were nothing unusual about this.

He said everything looked fine.

Its not the typical ITB or the front/back knee pain due to too high or too low saddle.

I have not crashed and smashed the knee.

Been cycling for 3 years and this has come along for 10months or so now. Few thousand R further and still no sollution Ouch

Not sure who to call or where to go from here.

Any advice Cape Town / Western Cape - please PM me or post here.

I've been to J. Swart (sport science) and been to B. de witt (fisio).

This issue will not be sorted through another bike fit, only by someone who can think a bit further than old patients!

appriciated

I'm not sure if I had a similar issue. I had an issue on the back of the leg upper calf to below knee, more to the outside of the leg (left leg, so back of leg, but to the left side).

Same as you describe, not impacted by any other activity, I think long drives with my heavy clutch also got it excited. I couldn't do 30 mins riding and it would be in full flight equally resulting in power loss on the left leg.

If this matches up with your complaint, let me know I will then go into the long recovery path.

Daxiet2009-07-22 07:29:07

Not sure if this will help but here goes. Also had knee pain in the right leg and did the following.

Loosened my cleats enough for the cleat to slide around in the pedal and on the shoe. Got on the bike and rode for about 1km so the cleat could settle in its natural position according to my legs and feet.

Stopped the bike and slid my foot out the shoe gently. Tightend the 1 screw on the cleat which can be seen through the pedal. Removed the shoe and tightend the other two screws. Problem solved no more knee pain.

Obvioulsy I did each shoe individually or else getting off the bike could be pretty sporty.

Hope this helps
MuXmAn2009-07-22 07:37:52

Astana - I feel your pain, I have what sounds like the exact same problem with my right leg / knee except I get it from walking.... Can run and cycle with no pain, but just walk for about 10 minutes and then it starts.... the more I walk the worse it gets...

My fibula head(?) the small bone sticking out on the side is very pronounced on my R leg, so I figure that it is the tendon which is rubbing on it when walking and for some reason the tendon does not rub as bad during cycling / running.....thats my diagnosis and far from professional.

Hope you come right and if you do let me us know what the casue was.

Have you tried to stand when you start feeling the warmth starting? he reason I'm asking is that it might be as a result of something you're pinching when you sit. Just a guess but it seems as if you are desperate and will be willing to do a headstand if it will make a difference ;)

I did all of what you have done including artheoscope (sp?). Absolutely nothing helped and cost me about R30 000 (okay the MA). I then went to a chiropractor because I got headaches. She then saw that my lower back was out which in turn put my shoulder out and the opposite leg and this went into my head. A few ruk en pluk sessies and I was good to go. Every now and again I can feel the headaches comming and I know I must not cycle. I make an apointment to see her again and all is okay for a while. In the beginning I saw her twice a week for a month and then every 3 months and I'm now on twice a year.

THANX all you guys for the info provided.Thumbs%20Up

I do have a bad lower back from school (rugby) days, but don't have pain all the time - in my back that is.

Not quite clear why this would only hurt my knee/leg / whatever hurts in that area only when Cycling, and not during running etc.

Makes sense that I'm sitting down and maby something sits in a different place then (nerve or whatever) compared to running, climbing , squash and gym training.

Don't you guys think a MRI or CT scan can solve this - or at least show something ? The Orthopedic surgeon (who is only following my thoughts) said that that would be the last resort, if we want to see if anything is out of order... but I got scared off when he said that if we do find something rest will probably solve it - but rest doesn't !

did 3 months of rest last year - 2.5 odd now and still nothing different. 

Will see if I can visit a chiropractor. The last one I went to was `n bit weird, maybe not that good or something..

Thanx again.

Keep posting if you guys can still add anyting.

I did all of what you have done including artheoscope (sp?). Absolutely nothing helped and cost me about R30 000 (okay the MA). I then went to a chiropractor because I got headaches. She then saw that my lower back was out which in turn put my shoulder out and the opposite leg and this went into my head. A few ruk en pluk sessies and I was good to go. Every now and again I can feel the headaches comming and I know I must not cycle. I make an apointment to see her again and all is okay for a while. In the beginning I saw her twice a week for a month and then every 3 months and I'm now on twice a year.

Hey mampara - did you have the same problem I have or did the chiro only sort out your head ache ?

Know that problems in the back can give lots of problems elsewhere .

Will see what the chiro can do

Thanx 

To give you an idea, I could barely walk from shinsplints I got 2 wks before the Knysna Marathon.  

I was sceptical about chiro's, but went on the advice of some of my training partners and he found the problem to be in my pelvis...wierd hey... 

Two days after seeing him I could walk perfectly, there was absolutely no pain, and I completed the Marathon without a hitch... Smile

Give it a try, if nothing else it is really interesting to find out how interconnected everything is in one's body.

as far as I know. A Chiropractor only adjust your body - so it will only last a few days or so ? then the natuaral way will come back again. The spine pulls out of place because of muscles pulling on it or not keeping them in place because they are too weak.

Will give it a shot though.

Thanx again

Astana - I feel your pain' date=' I have what sounds like the exact same problem with my right leg / knee except I get it from walking.... Can run and cycle with no pain, but just walk for about 10 minutes and then it starts.... the more I walk the worse it gets...

My fibula head(?) the small bone sticking out on the side is very pronounced on my R leg, so I figure that it is the tendon which is rubbing on it when walking and for some reason the tendon does not rub as bad during cycling / running.....thats my diagnosis and far from professional.

I have the exact problem - pronounced Fibula head which makes the ITB rub excessively. I've been having this problem Since the 24th of April 2008 and am nowhere near recovered. I have had two coritsone injections into the ITB and bursa which is sore as hell! Have started Pilates in an attempt the strengthern what the physio and biokinetic think is weak glutes and over correcting quads and strong lower back.

"Revovery" before cortisone included 3 months of doing absolutely nothing - no walking on the beach over December holidays was torture!

I'm moving forward in recovery I think, at least I hope!

Will let you know if Pilates helps, interested in trying the chiro as well!

[/quote']

Astana - I feel your pain' date=' I have what sounds like the exact same problem with my right leg / knee except I get it from walking.... Can run and cycle with no pain, but just walk for about 10 minutes and then it starts.... the more I walk the worse it gets...

<travis>

I have the exact problem - pronounced Fibula head which makes the ITB rub excessively. I've been having this problem Since the 24th of April 2008 and am nowhere near recovered. I have had two coritsone injections into the ITB and bursa which is sore as hell! Have started Pilates in an attempt the strengthern what the physio and biokinetic think is weak glutes and over correcting quads and strong lower back.

"Revovery" before cortisone included 3 months of doing absolutely nothing - no walking on the beach over December holidays was torture!

I'm moving forward in recovery I think, at least I hope!

Will let you know if Pilates helps, interested in trying the chiro as well!

[/quote']

I don't think my fibula head is any different to any other person and the xrays show nothing abnormal. mri also clean.

It only started 8 months ago. before that I use to ride often and ran quite alot. Rugby the works - not a single problem.

Been cycling for a long time before that, not as hard or competitive.

Don't know. Chiro can help. Will give it a shot. Rest for that long doing nothing does not sound like a cure.

Have to do active rest or else I will end up in the front page of the Raport hanging from a bridge somewhereShocked

LOL - fisio and strengthening must be the way to go also to keep everything well stretched to prevent any tension in the glutes etc

NOOO WAAAYY!! golf is the most dangerous game in the world. Played it once in my life, never again. halfway trough the back 9 rain and thunder, lots of people got sick from that. Once chap still has a scar when somebody klapped him on the backswing with a club.

No thanks, I will rather doge taxis in rush hour traffic.