Retro Bicycle Thread

Delgado

Anybody know anything about the Japanese frame Sakae Litage. I think it is from around 1990.

post-36242-0-50113000-1372169572_thumb.jpg

Nice bike, I had forgotten about those.

If I recall they ran production until the early '90's.

A more cost effective frame than the Vitus of the day.

I am under correction, but I think the tubes in the Litage were threaded as well as bonded, Unlike the Vitus and Alan's.

That one looks in good shape. Not sure if they worth anything, apart from it being a nice bike. They had really "cool" looking seat stays.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

Sakae Ringyo refers to the SR before the Suntour name.

Suntour gave it a good go as a component manufacturer before being engulfed by Shimano in the late 80s.

One still occasionally sees the name Sakae on bars/stems etc on older bikes.

The modern Suntour is Taiwanese-owned.

Your frame is Japanese, and probably dates from the late 80s - but there are sure to be more educated answers coming your way - at least more so than mine.

Check out the Sheldon Brown website for tons of info.

Bike looks great BTW.

100% correct. They came out with Suntour GXP Groupsets.

Its a very interesting bike from back then.

They had almost perfected the Lugged Alu frame, but by then guys like Cannondale had perfected the welded Alu frame. So the Lugged Alu frames died a slow death.

Nice bike, I had forgotten about those.

If I recall they ran production until the early '90's.

A more cost effective frame than the Vitus of the day.

I am under correction, but I think the tubes in the Litage were threaded as well as bonded, Unlike the Vitus and Alan's.

That one looks in good shape. Not sure if they worth anything, apart from it being a nice bike. They had really "cool" looking seat stays.

Sorry if it is a stupid question, but will paint stripper do something to the bonding?

Guest Latent Blue
And mounted appropriately, can transform a room ...

:drool:

That last photo, with the blue and yellow Colnago forces the question ... are you selling and if so, what's the frame size?

Anybody know why a San Marco Rolls saddle won't fit on a new seatpost clamp? I've tried it on various clamps and it seems too narrow. Anyone else have this problem and what was solution? Does it only fit on a retro post?

Edited by Cippo

Anybody know why a San Marco Rolls saddle won't fit on a new seatpost clamp? I've tried it on various clamps and it seems too narrow. Anyone else have this problem and what was solution? Does it only fit on a retro post?

Nope - I have one mounted on a Thompson Masterpiece (not retro) ... as you say, the rails don't line up exactly, but "gentle persuasion" as you tighten the clamp bolt has had no adverse effect :-)

Nope - I have one mounted on a Thompson Masterpiece (not retro) ... as you say, the rails don't line up exactly, but "gentle persuasion" as you tighten the clamp bolt has had no adverse effect :-)

Thanks boss. It's NOS that I want to use while I wait for a new saddle ordered online.

My San Marco Rolls fits a new seatpost. Rails are a touch narrower but they open up a mm or 2 when tightening the clamp.

I actually own that specific Yellow/Orange Colnago Master now :)

Edited by quintonb

Sorry if it is a stupid question, but will paint stripper do something to the bonding?

Not stupid at all, I would say probably no it wont effect the bonded lugs.

But then there is always that slim chance it may.

Are you planning on taking the clear coat off?

Ok, Rolls mounted on a FSA post for now. Tightened slowly but surely. Will remove post and saddle as soon as new saddle arrives. I have a Ritchey post waiting patiently for it. It's not for a retro build though.. Rolls will go back in storage for something special one day.