Retro Bicycle Thread

Delgado

Naaaaa, Mavic GP4s, though tubbys, the best wheels I've ever had! On Gipiemme hubs

Quite correct - Mavic GP4's IMHO are the best classic rims - have them on my Vitus 979 with tubbies inflated to 12 bar, rolls so well you have to use your brakes to slow down when coasting uphill!

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone thought of perhaps starting one locally?

Could be done somewhere in the Karro, nice roads, not many cars and small towns that would die to host it. Also, the karoo is in the middle, so not too far from anyone, easy 3/4 hour drive from Cape Town, Jhbg, though a bit further from Durbs.

Could be a fixie and pre 1990 event.

Just thinking.

edit: I misjudged times and distances, more like 8 hours!!!!

Edited by heyyou

Has anyone thought of perhaps starting one locally?

Could be done somewhere in the Karro, nice roads, not many cars and small towns that would die to host it. Also, the karoo is in the middle, so not too far from anyone, easy 3/4 hour drive from Cape Town, Jhbg, though a bit further from Durbs.

Could be a fixie and pre 1990 event.

Just thinking.

What a great idea - I know a whole lot of people who would be keen!

Very nice. Ja not sure is a Mexico. Wish pictures were bigger.

Paint jobs are always so nice on Colnago's.

Tend to agree! The colour scheme looks suspiciously like Rabobank influenced so it would make it way after the Mexico era. My guess its a VIP or MIX equivalent....

What a great idea - I know a whole lot of people who would be keen!

Thats a brilliant idea.

There has to be loads of guys who have pre-90's bikes.

Maybe we should chat about it. I will PM a few of you and we can throw some ideas around.

Thanks for the response guys.

I think we would need to make it somewhere OUT OF THE WAY, I don't really fancy cycling in a big city.

If we do, we'd have to make it exclusive, 200 or so riders, at least to start with.

Perhaps 2 days.

Somewhere with enough tourist infrastructure to bed 4 to 500 people.

Somewhere where spouses and kids would have things to do.

Not too hot and not too cold?

Perhaps around beginning or end of school holidays.

Somewhere where locals would become involved ... In the past I did a lot of running in smaller places, like Wilowmore, Shelly Beach, Steytlerville, Wolwefontein etc. and the locals like to become involved and do spit braais etc, the tru SA experience.

Thoughts please?

Heyyou, Delgado, Quintonb and the gang

This sounds like a great idea and it would be something I would be interested in doing. So much better if we were able to ride some quiet country roads somewhere with a good B&B stopover(s).

Hi. .Here she is all polished up and ready to ride. But unfortunately the size is to big for me.

Anybody interested in this ?

post-36034-0-07580300-1383143722_thumb.jpg

Edited by Blinkp

Hi. .Here she is all polished up and ready to ride. But unfortunately the size is to big for me.

Anybody interested in this ?

What size is she?

And how much, as Morpheus has asked?

thats very nice. How much are you wanting?

Hi

Well I bought it at R 2100 - 00 and paid another R 600 - 00 at Cyclelab to have it stripped completely and rebuilt it with new cables , grease etc.

I also had all the components cleaned and polished nicely. Ultimately I would like to recover the money I spent.

Size I think is between a 58 and 60 cm but will have to measure for you.

post-44986-0-46672700-1382526509_thumb.jpgSorry, here are some photos!post-44986-0-17471900-1382526533_thumb.jpg

Now I'm nitpicking, but please move the levers up on those bars. just doesn't look right like that!

Now I'm nitpicking, but please move the levers up on those bars. just doesn't look right like that!

That's how we rode them back then. They are period correct !

Frame looks more like a 60 to 61cm. (just my size).

Yup the levers are 100% correct. Bars had a very different curve to them.

It's turned out really nice. Well done.

Are the hubs from the original groupset? In other words are they shimano 600 as well?

Hi yes the hubs are the original Shimano 600.