Retro Bicycle Thread

Delgado

Yeah have been in 2 minds as to exactly how I am going to approach the frame. I think I am going along your lines of leaving it as is.

I have original 170 campag pista cranks from a donor bike. The original bars and stem were sold the day before I bought this frame... Wait for it.... For R500. Yip the guy stripped the bike down and sold parts separately...

If anyone has a cinelli pista steel stem(120mm), the one with the screwed on cinelli badge... Please let me know. And also steel cinelli pista bars.

The only strippers that deserve any respect are those lovely girls who remove their clothes slowly!

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My 1968 Cinelli "Special Corsa" Pista

All I need is the original stem, bars and wheels....

Long term project, parts available at a premium and I'm a poor collector :)

Haven't you been sitting on this matching pair for about two years already?

Haven't you been sitting on this matching pair for about two years already?

About 18 months, sold the road frame. Only have the track frame. Been collecting equipment for my colnago master, have it now just need to paint it. Then I will start finding parts for the Cinelli track bike. I'm a poor collector, takes me time to save and then find parts.

One thing I have learned, frames are fairly cheap, it's the period correct equipment that costs a fortune. And 6 year old twin boys at school don't help.... Lol

Edited by quintonb

Hi guys

So this my progress so far on my Look kg96 build. I'm using dura ace 7400 7sp parts. My goal is not to have a 100% perfect restoration / period specific bike, but rather "handed down from my dad" vibe.

I have most of the the parts except the bb, headset and rear hub. Which I'm after so if you have any of it perhaps laying around I would like to take it off you hands.

I'm using Itm bars with 105 levers at the moment. I have dura ace levels but the one hood is cut so looking out for some replacments. My idea is to eventually get a cinelli bar and stem combo with the dura ace levers.

Also I using a miss match wheel set, dura ace front hub with Mavic rim and a 600 rear with a Ambrosia Colnago excellence rims. So hopefully soon I will have a pair of dura ace hubs laced to Mavic or even Wolber rims.

This is my first serious build so I'm still learning, so some input and ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dan

post-44444-0-11339300-1401088121_thumb.jpg

Edited by danthunders

Hi guys

So this my progress so far on my Look kg96 build. I'm using dura ace 7400 7sp parts. My goal is not to have a 100% perfect restoration / period specific bike, but rather "handed down from my dad" vibe.

I have most of the the parts except the bb, headset and rear hub. Which I'm after so if you have any of it perhaps laying around I would like to take it off you hands.

I'm using Itm bars with 105 levers at the moment. I have dura ace levels but the one hood is cut so looking out for some replacments. My idea is to eventually get a cinelli bar and stem combo with the dura ace levers.

Also I using a miss match wheel set, dura ace front hub with Mavic rim and a 600 rear with a Ambrosia Colnago excellence rims. So hopefully soon I will have a pair of dura ace hubs laced to Mavic or even Wolber rims.

This is my first serious build so I'm still learning, so some input and ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dan

Hey Dan

Check with Big Neville at Linden cycles - I managed to get old shimano hoods there.

Regards

Justin

Guest notmyname

Reading through this thread has made me feel my early 80's, Renolds single Butted, hand brazed(the decal is damaged and I cannot read the name of the builder) le turbo is a mere toy bike.

Maybe the hunt should continue for A real gem....

Opinion on whether it's worth restoring would be greatly appreciated. She's not in to bad nik. Needs paint and a good Scrubbing....

Edited by small fry

Reading through this thread has made me feel my early 80's, Renolds single Butted, hand brazed(the decal is damaged and I cannot read the name of the builder) le turbo is a mere toy bike.

Maybe the hunt should continue for A real gem....

Opinion on whether it's worth restoring would be greatly appreciated. She's not in to bad nik. Needs paint and a good Scrubbing....

I would never trade my Reynolds 531 double butted steel bicycle made in 1956 for any of those Carbono (and that Look is very nice) bikes... have respect for what you have! Le Turbo and Alpinas, Hansoms and DHC were very well made bicycles built by men during difficult circumstances and if given a chance will become heritage collectible bicycles.

About 18 months, sold the road frame. Only have the track frame. Been collecting equipment for my colnago master, have it now just need to paint it. Then I will start finding parts for the Cinelli track bike. I'm a poor collector, takes me time to save and then find parts.

One thing I have learned, frames are fairly cheap, it's the period correct equipment that costs a fortune. And 6 year old twin boys at school don't help.... Lol

Found you a stem:

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/291151631479-0-1/s-l200.jpg

View item:

NOS CINELLI DEMI FOND ADJUSTABLE STEM RARE VINTAGE ! philippe stayer pista track

End time: 30 May 2014 18:41:19 GMT+2

I would never trade my Reynolds 531 double butted steel bicycle made in 1956 for any of those Carbono (and that Look is very nice) bikes... have respect for what you have! Le Turbo and Alpinas, Hansoms and DHC were very well made bicycles built by men during difficult circumstances and if given a chance will become heritage collectible bicycles.

I agree completely with you tracknut, SA made frames are really underrated, I've had an Alpina with Reynolds 753 tubing and a Mcintosh with Columbus TSX tubing the craftsmanship where incredible. That's why to me events like the Tour of Aae is so brilliant http://www.tourofarae.co.za/about/.

Guest notmyname

I agree completely with you tracknut, SA made frames are really underrated, I've had an Alpina with Reynolds 753 tubing and a Mcintosh with Columbus TSX tubing the craftsmanship where incredible. That's why to me events like the Tour of Aae is so brilliant http://www.tourofarae.co.za/about/.

Thanks to both of you for the encouragement. My plan is to have her spik and span for the 94.7. Will post pics as I go.

South African made frames are good, just need to get the word out there. We need to add a page to Classic Rendezvous about SA frame builders. Others will pick it up from there.

A CHALLENGE.

Let's put all our knowledge together and submit to the above, let's add a page on SA frame builders.

I added what I know (I know a little more now) a few pages ago.

But let's do it.

For goodness sake.

I like this, but it's just too difficult for an older man (I speak for myself only).

As I've mentioned before, I'm hoping the Herald Cycle Tour guys will include a VETERANS bike category next year.

The organisors (there was a comment on a thread the other day about spelling the 'old way' ORGANISORS, or the new way ' organisers) have a meeting in August to decide.

I'll send you and email address, if you can LOBBY I think it might help.

Heyyou, I agree with you regarding the age issue. I too would love to do the Tour of Arae but understand the reasons for limited number of entrants because of accommodation, etc.

Great idea about having a source for local builders. Let's LOBBY.

Hi Guys

Given that we are focused on SA frames at the moment please could you fellow hubbers provide me with any information on this frame I picked up a few days ago.

It's a Reynolds 653 steel frame custom designed and hand built by Bill Lange (see the decal on the top tube). It's a 63cm frame as stamped on the BB but measures 61cm c-t-c (65cm c-t-top of extended seat lug). Top tube measures 58cm.

The BB is embossed with Reynolds on both top sides with the following stamped on the bottom of the BB on the left: BL 69 653. Also on the BB is the size 63.

All the lugs and BB are nickel plated although the BB and lower head tube lug are painted over.

The fork is also embossed with Reynolds on both top sides.

The rear brake cable passes through the top tube on the right and exits on the left. This appears to have been a typical de Lange trait and is similar to my Bill Lange "McIntosh"TT frame I have.

The dropouts are Shimano HG. Quite nice with rear dropouts outside of the seat tube triangle.

Ignore the Cinelli decal, it came with the bike and I will try and remove without damaging it or the frame.

Here is the interesting part............ The bike has been coated with a type of plastic paint covering in black with the 80's neon art work. This coating has been stripped or burnt off on the down tube and around the BB and below the front derailleur clamp. Why, I don't know. I have never seen coating like this before. You can see the coating on the head tube.

I learnt that Lange manufactured frames for Robbie McIntosh which Robbie sold through his retail outlet(s). I remember the LBS in Randburg CBD and rode from there a few times in the late 80's.

Took photos this evening so not the best quality and doesn't show the neon colour too well.

I don't have any information on this frame other than stated above.

All info and comments would be appreciated.

Not sure what I will do with the frame as it's too big for me.

post-44986-0-00492600-1401302976_thumb.jpg

post-44986-0-25661700-1401302992_thumb.jpg

post-44986-0-82130100-1401303003_thumb.jpg

post-44986-0-49726900-1401303022_thumb.jpg

post-44986-0-39077300-1401303038_thumb.jpg

post-44986-0-40157900-1401303054_thumb.jpg

post-44986-0-47077000-1401303074_thumb.jpg

post-44986-0-19036500-1401303091_thumb.jpg

post-44986-0-06257700-1401303109_thumb.jpg

post-44986-0-57276500-1401303132_thumb.jpg

post-44986-0-13329400-1401303155_thumb.jpg

post-44986-0-28398600-1401303177_thumb.jpg