Retro Bicycle Thread

Delgado

Looking at these pics and the earlier ones, looks a helluva lot like a MEXICO.

Same tubes and lugs, but why no Mexico decals????

Doesn't look repainted.

Flummoxed!

From the stamp on rear brake bridge I would think a Mexico as well. I have been searching for pics on the internet amd reading similiar forums on identifying Colnagos. Lots of guys out there buying Mexicos and Supers trying to date them. The bike has been neglected which is why no decals beside Colnago,not even a tubing type. Definitely original paint and Colnago decals. Im only interested in the frame and fork and the bike will be stripped by owner.

Edited by Cippo

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From the stamp on rear brake bridge I would think a Mexico as well. I have been searching for pics on the internet amd reading similiar forums on identifying Colnagos. Lots of guys out there buying Mexicos and Supers trying to date them. The bike has been neglected which is why no decals beside Colnago,not even a tubing type. Definitely original paint and Colnago decals. Im only interested in the frame and fork and the bike will be stripped by owner.

Yes, one of the features I looked at.

My Mexico has been repainted, so I can't compare anything other than tube shape, lugs, brake bridge stamp and cable guides along the top tube and 1 water bottle holder.

But looks very, very much like mine!

If it is a MEXICO, barking lucky find!

off topic, but I'd give my left BB for some really fast internet!!

Edited by HeyYou

What is that? That top tube >>>>>>>

Alan continue(d) to build very nice cyclocross bikes. Not big in SA but very popular in Europe.

The downtube is 30x30mm and it is shapes like a 4 leaf clover. The top tube is oval straight on sides and rounded on top and bottom 23x27mm

Thanks Cippo, the down tube: Does it get fatter at the bottom near the BB compared to the top near the down tube shifters? If so it may be a SC rather an Mexico.

Either way it's a great find and will be a super project restoration.

Don't forget to post before and after pics on the Colnago thread on the hub. Trust you have seen it?

Thanks Cippo, the down tube: Does it get fatter at the bottom near the BB compared to the top near the down tube shifters? If so it may be a SC rather an Mexico.

Either way it's a great find and will be a super project restoration.

Don't forget to post before and after pics on the Colnago thread on the hub. Trust you have seen it?

Once I get my grubby paws on it I will post better pics. Waiting for owner of shop to accept my offer so he can strip bike. Im trying not to seem to eager to buy frame as he is driving a hard bargain. I will take my time however to restore it back to an acceptable condition. Its a shame to see a Colnago having been abused like that.

Edited by Cippo

post-61970-0-02737500-1408566098_thumb.jpgpost-61970-0-47594700-1408566100_thumb.jpgpost-61970-0-93057500-1408566102_thumb.jpgpost-61970-0-36858300-1408566105_thumb.jpgpost-61970-0-70426000-1408566107_thumb.jpgpost-61970-0-61101500-1408566109_thumb.jpgpost-61970-0-04880900-1408566112_thumb.jpgpost-61970-0-20449900-1408566114_thumb.jpgpost-61970-0-20449900-1408566114_thumb.jpg ROMA 19voetsak... My passion now turned addiction of hunting old bicycles has lead me to this beauty. I hope its alright to post a vintage here. It is going to go on the classifieds but I was wondering if this would generate any interest here. Thanks.

. It is going to go on the classifieds but I was wondering if this would generate any interest here. Thanks.

Brad, How much are you thinking of asking and how did you get to the price ?

Edited by eddy

Hi Bradley

Finding missing parts for the Roma must be hard given the smaller market. Have you restored bikes like this before?

Brad, How much are you thinking of asking and how did you get to the price ?

Eddy hello, Look it was on sale for a price I believed was fair given the age and what I thought. would be heritage and legacy. ITS A GORGEOUS BIKE. I would love to have it on my wall or as a Sunday runner. But been on the road looking for bikes and other collectables does not allow me time to research everything. that is why I appreciate the opinions I get here on this forum. But sometimes I do impulse buyimng because I might loose the bike or not be in that part of the woods agin for a while. So I apply filters like what I personally feel its worth based on how hard to find old bikes, then some history and heritage, if I get it in time and then my purchase price. But I loose at times... big time... BUT SINCE FOUND OUT THE BIKE MIKE BE A INDIAN PIECE OF JUNK. Yet that does not detract from the age and beauty. And as some guys on this forum said to me a bike is worth what a person is willing to pay for it. I brought htis issue up as to keep my name clean.

BUT HELL... I JUST GOT LAMBASTED BY SOME DUDE SAYING IM RIPPING PEOPLE OFF WITH THIS INDIAN JUNK. So later im going to have to stop the hunt and get on line. But tell me what you think, please.

Thank You

Brad.

Just got ripped apart for advertising this for sale at a price i thought was fair with margin to negotiate. I applied my filters and logic and really honestly gav e the bike a price.

But maybe I was a bit over eager BUT to find complete old bikes in this condition is getting harder and harder.

Only to be told its a piece of indian junk. Been on the road I did not have time to research and felt it was a good price to pay for it as a resale. Im too embaressed now to mention the price I had it up for.

Look, you get different types of buyer Bradley. I personally have no idea how much that bike is worth, and if for some reason I saw it and felt it I had to have it I may pay whatever I can afford for it, regardless of its worth.

With bikes from the 80's onwards, I'm more clued up and start thinking like a true collector, only paying what in my opinion is the fair market price. Don't take what other people say personally, at the end of the day, the bike either sells, or it doesn't.

Just got ripped apart for advertising this for sale at a price i thought was fair with margin to negotiate. I applied my filters and logic and really honestly gav e the bike a price.

But maybe I was a bit over eager BUT to find complete old bikes in this condition is getting harder and harder.

Only to be told its a piece of indian junk. Been on the road I did not have time to research and felt it was a good price to pay for it as a resale. Im too embaressed now to mention the price I had it up for.

Hey Brad

Don't take the comments so seriously. We've all been there, paid way too much for a bike we wanted and then realised is was worth less than we paid.

Happens in all facets of life, called school fees.

I think she's lovely, but just not what I'm interested in.

Keep on keeping on, you'll find something that everyone wants.