Retro Bicycle Thread

Delgado

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would put this frame somewhere near the mid to late '80's.

I think it was '87/88 that Colnago replaced the word "Colnago" stamped in the seat stay and replaced it with the "Clubs" logo.

Some info on the Supers http://www.velo-retro.com/colnagotline.html

I think the frame might be earlier, based on the cable guide on the top tube (generally gone by 85/86) and the single (that I can see) set of water bottle cage screws. Certainly after 83, because of the sloping fork crown.

My guess would be 84/85.

I emailed Colnago pics of frame and details. According to Mauro @ Colnago it is a 86-87 MASTER, not a Mexico. It's a MASTER not a Mexico. YIPPEE!!!

Thanks for all the info guys.

Edited by Cippo

I emailed Colnago pics of frame and details. According to Mauro @ Colnago it is a 86-87 MASTER, not a Mexico. It's a MASTER not a Mexico. YIPPEE!!!Thanks for all the info guys.

Nice. The tube flutes don't look as pronounced on your frame as on other Masters, could be the colour that's throwing me off.

The only Mexico that had fluted tubes were Nuovo Mexico and they were only made for 2 years as far as I know.

Always nice to know exactly what you have, gives you a better idea on what it needs to take it back to original...

Edited by quintonb

I've said it before, but I have to say it again: The amazing knowledge and the free and friendly way in which it is shared here on this thread, is great! :clap:  :thumbup:

Come to think of it, the only other threads that come close are the "Colnago" and "Campagnolo" threads. Coincidence? I don't think so! ;)

It's nice sharing a passion with like minded people. With a lot of these older bikes, dating them if you don't know the history of the bike can at times be tricky. Lots of knowledge here on the hub and collectively the guys figure out quite a lot just from images of bikes. Some good people here.

I emailed Colnago pics of frame and details. According to Mauro @ Colnago it is a 86-87 MASTER, not a Mexico. It's a MASTER not a Mexico. YIPPEE!!!

Thanks for all the info guys.

Congrats, Masters are special machines.

My Eddy Merckx is a mix of old school and new and the Bianchi is all old school. 

Looking good!

My latest project....finally completed

Colnago super with mostly nuovo gran sport groupset

Immaculate ???? fantastic job!

During my wanderings yesterday I found:

Before you ask, no money, going to ride Eroica Britannia and at R18 to £1, I'm flat broke!

Look KG96, 57 c2c, with a mixture of Shim 600 TriColour and 105 components. Frame in fair condition, clear coat coming off a bit, but overall good. 

Probably get it for around R3k. 

De Rosa Merak medium frame, in good condition. Campag Record 10spd carbon in very good nik. Wheels Mavic Ksyerium (Race, I think). Overall nice. 

Guy wants 9K, I suggested R5k, as the frame not collectable. He seemed to accept that only the Groupo and wheels were worth much. So I guess offers around R5k.

If interested I can send a couple of pics I took. Or, send me an email and I'll put you in touch, I don't want to be in the middle.

cdstheboss@yahoo.co.uk

Edited by HeyYou

Does anyone know where I can buy a 1" threaded headset in Joburg to fit a Hansom frame?

Have you tried Whippet Cycling Co?