Retro Bicycle Thread

Delgado

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/11/6592e42382bb58fe711e6a654796d293.jpgmy Reynolds 531 1980 LeJeune. I am trying to collect the full house of SA bikes. Have Hansom, LJ, Alpina, LeTurbo, Zini by now. Very excited to see there are others enthusiastic about vintage SA steelframes. Lekker weekend all!

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This morning took my brand new 30 year old Petini for its first ride up Groenkloof ridge - lovely! Thank you to Eppie for arranging the delivery of the bike - all packaged well and even putting a new set of tyres on for me. I look forward to doing some epic vintage rides on my new beauty! 

I guess this bike hails form the late 1980s and most likely constructed from Reynolds tubing (unfortunately the sticker naming the tubing is gone). All paintwork is original as well as the decals. Will make a trip to Linden Cycle next week to show to them. Amazing how well the bike rides - dropping down the ridge at 70 kph it felt stable and smooth, soaking up the road bumps. Very responsive when climbing. Love it!

Hey Anton, glad you are enjoying the Petini.

Hi Guys,

Looking for some help and advice, I am keen on restoring this lovely Zini classic but I am worried of a few things and 1 of them mainly is losing the original decals (pics attached), should I strip the bike down and restore and is there somebody who can replicate these decals? I would like to put them back after repaint etc.

Secondly should I go single speed or fixed gear or leave as a geared bike and restore ?

Thanks guys.

attachicon.gifIMG_3140.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3143.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3144.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3148.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3190.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3192.JPG

I try and keep all my bikes original. Only my DHC has been resprayed but only because the previous owner left it outside and the paint work was completely shot. IMHO all this frame needs is a good wash and some Cobra polish.

Hi All

I'm looking for a campy triple bottom bracket 68-SS-120 x3 or 68-SSx3 to complete an Olmo tourer. Your help will be GREATLY appreciated :)

Cheers

Latest addition to the stable! Currently has a Lejeune 650 fork. Looking for a 650 Battaglin fork if anyone has one lying about, otherwise I'll drill the current one and have it chromed. Also looking for a tricolour Shimano 600 groupset with DT shifters and a 650 front wheel. Please PM me if you do  :)

post-64130-0-04462600-1449938272_thumb.jpg

post-64130-0-93629600-1449938298_thumb.jpg

I'm still looking for a CONCORDE fork, if anyone has noticed a spare one in their cupboard.

For a steel or alu frame?

Guest notmyname

Original Reynolds tubing decals are available from a company in the UK, called Lloyd something or other. Google is your friend.

A couple of guys are doing decals locally including Tyrone on the hub. Tyrone should have the templates for the SA built Zini's.

Agreed with above posts, please don't cut off rear derailleur hangers, grind off cable housing guides or downtime shifter mounts.

If you will use the bike as a SS or fixie then build it up as such but keep the other bits so you can restore it later if you want.

Jip, this is great advice.

HEN'S TEETH!!!!!

On eBay you'll pay anything from $50 to $150 :eek:

But contact Olffie1, he's looking into having some 3D printed and the more the cheaper, I suppose.

I suppose that goes for anyone else also.

Hi All,

I have these old style cleats, bit dirty, but unused.

Any offers?  I work in Observatory, Cape Town.  Prefer face to face deal.

Apologies in advance for slow responses, I only have intermittent internet access.

Note the unusual bolt pattern.  I’ve also attached picture of the sole of the shoe they came with.

post-55031-0-45526200-1450092877_thumb.jpg

Greetings cyclists,

I have an Alpina, from the 80's, mostly original, with Mavic ally rims, EX 300 jockey and "exage" components. It's my training/racing bike, I've had it for 20 years now, it's a real beauty, and easy to ride. But the trouble with regularly using a classic bike is replacing the wear parts - the guy at my bike shop laughed when I showed him the old chainrings. I need a 5 point chain ring set, and a set of down-tube shifters.. where do other classic bikers get their wear parts? Any advice / suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks 

Edited by Garamundege Mugabe

I need $ to complete my 50th Anniversary groupo.

So anyone interested?

Make me a realistic offer!!!!