Retro Bicycle Thread

Delgado

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I acquired this Daccordi and am trying to find out about it, I did a web search and found the one article that is everywhere but no other details so far.

I am trying to find out what year it is and what the original group set would have been.

Any info or pointers to sites much appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by Barry_W

I acquired this Daccordi and am trying to find out about it, I did a web search and found the one article that is everywhere but no other details so far.

I am trying to find out what year it is and what the original group set would have been.

Any info or pointers to sites much appreciated.

Thanks

Very, very nice bike Barry_W

Judging by the paintwork it's an early 90s Dacc. My guess is that the original groupo was Shimano DA 7400/7402. Why yours has 6400 Tri-colour callipers and shifters I don't know.

Could be these were imported as frame sets only and it was cheaper (probably almost as good) to use 600 callipers and shifters.

I have one almost exactly same paint pattern, different colour, mine has Campag CDA on it.

post-25781-0-46311000-1450520114_thumb.jpg

Edited by HeyYou

I called the retailers but they said they were out of stock but would take my number and call me immediately they received stock.

I'd prefer a refund :drool:

Bicycle: The History by David V Herlihy 

Angeline Allen, the bold dress reformer from Newark, as portrayed on the cover of the

National Police Gazette of 28 October 1893. "She Wore Trousers," blared the caption, while the article branded her "eccentric" and recounted how her costume had shocked the good people of society.

post-25781-0-56201300-1450534090_thumb.jpg

Bicycle: The History by David V Herlihy 

Orville and Wilbur Wright, in particular, were experienced bicycle mechanics

who built the first successful airplane using the metal- and wood-working skills they had developed in the cycle trade—as well as familiar bicycle tools and parts like chains, ball bearings, and wire wheels. From the start, they realized that any practical aircraft, like the bicycle itself, would require precision manufacturing as well as a skillful pilot who had acquired an intuitive feel for the machine and its motion. 

In December 1892, exactly eleven years before their first flights at Kitty Hawk, the brothers opened a modest shop in Dayton, Ohio, where they sold and repaired bicycles. Three years later, as their business began to suffer from heightened local competition, they began to handcraft their own bicycles for a wider market, acquiring in the process an intimate knowledge of bicycle construction and technology. They even made their own hubs, which they claimed needed oiling only once every two years. Their modest profits from this activity enabled them to pursue another passion on the sideline:
the quest for a powered airplane.

Starting in 1899, the brothers traveled regularly to the windswept dunes of North Carolina's Outer Banks, where they tested their specially designed kites and gliders. These devices failed, however, to fly as high or as far as the brothers had anticipated based on their calculations. In 1901, they turned to the bicycle to develop more accurate mathematical models defining the principles of flight. They attached a miniature wing and drag plate to the front wheel of a bicycle, then raced the vehicle through a wind tunnel, carefully measuring the lift and drag. These extensive tests yielded data unprecedented
in scope and detail, which guided the brothers as they designed the wings and propellers for the Wright Flyer. With the help of an assistant, they built the craft itself, including the motor, in their own bicycle workshop.

Very, very nice bike Barry_W

Judging by the paintwork it's an early 90s Dacc. My guess is that the original groupo was Shimano DA 7400/7402. Why yours has 6400 Tri-colour callipers and shifters I don't know.

Could be these were imported as frame sets only and it was cheaper (probably almost as good) to use 600 callipers and shifters.

I have one almost exactly same paint pattern, different colour, mine has Campag CDA on it.

Hi HeyYou,

Thanks for the reply, your bike is really nice.

Early 90's makes sense with the components.

I think you are right about the group set, its only Dura-ace shifters, crank, cassette,

RD and FD everything else is 600, hubs headset etc.

Thanks for your help.

Barry

Edited by Barry_W

Nice example but IMHO the Delta's look totally out of place.

Hey, watcha mean? Deltas are NEVER wrong......even with Dura Ace.......unless of course you need something to STOP the bike! ;)  :D

Hello....

I would like a few opinions on the following problem at hand. I have stripped and built some bikes but this bike is a little more special. I have acquired a 1940's Carlton track from its original owner and started cleaning the old guy up but there are some areas of the restoration I am undecided on.

The first area being the wheels... They are very rusty on the spokes, the original tyres still look good (keeping those) and the cute simplex hubs also look a little rusty. Should I rebuild the wheels?

The next big question is the frame. It has been hammered quite a bit. lots of missing paint and a small dent... I think a clear coat or redo paint work? The only thing is that it has some really nice hand painted decals and I don't want to lose its originality...

I have however cleaned and polished all the parts and they are looking amazing.

If anyone can help me with some ideas on how to best restore this old machine without losing too much of its value, feel free.

Rozanne