Retro Bicycle Thread

Delgado

I'm not so sure its a Shamal hey - I had a set which i bought with my first Bianchi and they had 12 spokes - I think the Zonda had 16.  Unless there were two versions of Shamal maybe?

The first Shamal's were 12hole but Campagnolo was forced to increase the spoke count to 16 after the UCI banned the 12hole wheels from competition. If my information is correct the Shamal's were released with Record (often called C Record) and  early Chorus/Veloce hubs.

The HPW12's have become collectors items.

Zonda's and Vento were later models. 

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The first Shamal's were 12hole but Campagnolo was forced to increase the spoke count to 16 after the UCI banned the 12hole wheels from competition. If my information is correct the Shamal's were released with Record (often called C Record) and  early Chorus/Veloce hubs.

The HPW12's have become collectors items.

Zonda's and Vento were later models. 

Aha - well that explains it then.  I had them replaced under warranty after both the front and rear rims cracked and then the rear again. In the end I did a replacement deal for a set of later 2002 black Shamals.  I think they were only too glad to get me out of their hair!

The AX series groupset has always fascinated me and is probably my favourite retro groupset!

This is my latest project. It's a Shimano Aero branded frame. Tubing is Champion Tange #2, comparable to Columbus SL. No aero tubing on this one, and judging by the eyelets on the fork and rear dropouts, closer to a touring, "everyday" steed. This probably came out with the Adamas AX group, although I believe these frames also came equipped with 600 AX.

I'll be building my DA AX group onto it. Not ideal, but the frames compatible with these groupsets are so difficult to come by - Mainly owing to the fact that they were only produced around '81-'83. 

I'm looking for:

- Downtube shifters and a front derailleur, can be DA AX or 600 AX

- Hoods for DA AX brake levers

- Cinelli Criterium bars (or Nitto bars with similar bend) [i will trade my Cinelli Exa Hexagonal bars]

- Araya rims (32h, I think!)

post-64130-0-83336600-1519649834_thumb.jpeg

The AX series groupset has always fascinated me and is probably my favourite retro groupset!

This is my latest project. It's a Shimano Aero branded frame. Tubing is Champion Tange #2, comparable to Columbus SL. No aero tubing on this one, and judging by the eyelets on the fork and rear dropouts, closer to a touring, "everyday" steed. This probably came out with the Adamas AX group, although I believe these frames also came equipped with 600 AX.

I'll be building my DA AX group onto it. Not ideal, but the frames compatible with these groupsets are so difficult to come by - Mainly owing to the fact that they were only produced around '81-'83. 

I'm looking for:

- Downtube shifters and a front derailleur, can be DA AX or 600 AX

- Hoods for DA AX brake levers

- Cinelli Criterium bars (or Nitto bars with similar bend) [i will trade my Cinelli Exa Hexagonal bars]

- Araya rims (32h, I think!)

I may have a Nitto bar and stem for you. Will send you PM later.

Hoping for more images of the blue frame used in the AX brochure above.

Anybody know what frame that is?

Shot in the dark, but could very well be the Miyata on the left. Colour and fork seem to match.

Is your Aero Miyata still kicking about?

post-64130-0-34979300-1519839921_thumb.jpg

Shot in the dark, but could very well be the Miyata on the left. Colour and fork seem to match.

Yes, you correct.

Bought an old Super on The Hub a couple of weeks ago which needed some love. Gave her the same treatment as the Battagln a while ago and she turned out quite nice.attachicon.gifsuper12.jpgattachicon.gifsuper11.jpg

total hijack!

never mind the bike .....

those wooden floors are incredible !

That's a pretty good match. I've been trying to ID a frame but never even considered it'd be from Miyata. Feeling very surprised actually.

I sourced 2 sets of those Shimano aero decals for the build and now I'm caught off guard.

Desperately in search of a kashimax aero saddle for this project. Still!

Here are some pics of the bike I've been wanting to ID ... Looks like the aero Miyata, doesn't it?

Would need some more pics to ID  :drool:

It was my privalage today to see the copper Battaglin today at the cradle. It is beautifull machine! Nicework EvanB. (Daccordi 95)