The Downhill Thread

DownhillingKing

hahha! rider is taking it out tomorrow... thought it needed a pic before/incase it gets damaged, hahaha!

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

any of the XCers on the forum ride the track between the fire roads on Signal Hill recently? just wanted your thoughts on the first bit of the rock garden? For the DHers' date=' it's a minor bump in the road as it were, but for the riders who go a bit slower, it may be a bit more bumpy. Reason i'm asking is, that's only the first few meters. it's gonna get a lot longer.

The step down hasn't come to fruition yet, but keep an eye for construction. Will provide a path around the work area, which will also serve as the chicken run once the step down is done.

I've already eyeballed a new drop in point to join up with the track i'm referring to above.

As a point of reference, there are two fire roads along the track in question on Signal Hill. I think i will refer to the sections with an SH prefix,followed by teh section number starting right at the top of SH.

So, SH1 will be from the tar road leading up to the top of Signal Hill, ending at the first fire road. SH2 will be from the first fire road down to the second fire road. SH 2 exists (see pics elsewhere in this thread), and has the beginnings of a rockgarden, with step down and other fun stuff to come, all of course to prevent the slope from washing away (btw: if anyone didnt believe me about that straight line that someone made by dragging their brakes all the way down, being an erosion hazard, go look at SH2 after the past few days of heavy runs. IT'S WASHED OUT! making for some gnarly riding).

SH3 starts where SH2 exists onto the 2nd fire road, and follows a trail that's been there for some time now. Someone cobbled together a micro-berm.I think it was part of the old Urban Assault course. but I'm not sure. At the end of SH, you can go either left or right, with right leading to even more options,mostly single track. It also ties in wth the lower portion of last year's Urban Assault track (turn right, hook a left, roll/jump over some logs, do that little jump, down that rocky slope, left, follow twisty track down to near Vista high school).

So in a nutshell. SH 3 exists, SH2 exists and is a WiP (work in progress). SH1 is just a figment of my imagination. Thoughts on what to do with SH2 and SH1, please let me know. [img']https://assets.bikehub.co.za/legacy_images/smilies/smiley1.gif[/img]

Damn ... it would be easier if you could meet up with my commuting buddie and I to take us down this route and he can capture the route on GPS for you ... we can do a stop at all the points so that it will be properly marked on the GPS layouts.

Hey Hairy. I wont mind hooking up with y'all weekends if possible. Let me know when y'all normally ride, and I'll see if i can make it. smiley1.gif Also, bring some slave labour, and a masseuse (jap, german or spanish ladies). I could do with both smiley17.gif

step down construction started today. Didn't get very far, but yay for getting the ball rolling smiley1.gif

20100618_115130_SH2_-_step_down.jpg

Looking up the trail, this is the spot i chose for the step down, nicely between 2 trees. 1 is the spot for the step down, 2 the chicken run route.

20100618_115316_SH2_-_step_down.jpg

?

This the view looking down the trail (SH2). 1 is step down spot, 2 the chicken run as before. I'll put up little boards with arrows indicating the step down so you know what's coming. Those trees are proving very convenient.

Capricorn2010-06-18 12:36:05

20100618_115552_SH2_-_step_down.jpg

?

This pic just gives an indication of the slope steepness in the area of the proposed step down. It's not that bad, but the rocks make it abit more interesting, especially when wet. if you take the high line (RHS of the track), it's a bit smoother, but the moss actually makes for sketchy riding. Was a bit surprised the moss would be that slippery, but yeah. Fun nonetheless.

The preceived steepness however, definitely explains why I see indications of brake-dragging just about the whole way down.?

Suggestion that those persons: let go of the brakes, njoi an awesome run down. But, if you bail in certain areas, it's gonna hurt. A lot.?smiley2.gif

Capricorn2010-06-18 12:17:30

So the reason I chose that spot was because of the two trees in such close proximity (about 3m apart) coverin a nice width of the track in that area. 3m turned out to be quite long, as much dead logs in the area werent even close to 2m, much less the require 3. So me and Mr Saw went ot work on near dead trees, and trees lying way over, apparently uprooted in some storm. That top log dont look like much, but i swear it weighs about 50 - 60kg. Definitely at least as heavy as a sack of cement.

20100618_120102_SH2_-_step_down.jpg

That branch gave me some indication of level, and indicated the point to which I have to fill the area in front of the logs for a proper platform.

20100618_120230_SH2_-_step_down.jpg

?

A nice side view, ground level shot showing what I was describing above, and another indication of the slope in that area. No transition needed for landing as the slope is more than sufficient. Good, cos it's a crap load of work trying to move earth. As i said earlier. slave labour and a nice womins for a massage is a near necessity?smiley17.gif

?

The rocks i've collected at the base of the step down is for drainage (and filler). I dont want the water to collect on the deck, or at the lip, so i reckon some drainage should keep the whole step down servicable even in wet weather. I cut drain channels to divert water away from the landing area toward the sides. I think, i need to recut that channel so that it goes nicely into the chicken run area., Slow, smooth, but slippery. yeah. that should do it nicely?smiley17.gif

Last two pics just before calling it quits for the day (only had an hour to burn this time). But had enough time to cut out a decent chicken run for the less adventurous.?smiley2.gif

?

Looking down the track:

20100618_120716_SH2_-_step_down.jpg

?

Looking up the track (shovel used as a height reference. I think one more log height will be perfect, maybe two, if I can find another few uprooted trees):

20100618_120812_SH2_-_step_down.jpg

Capricorn2010-06-18 12:13:29

A couple of pics of the rockgarden i've started building (i think i've got the gnar in teh wrong spot given the preferred line most take outta the slight corner just upstream of the rock garden.. hmmm)

20100618_122824_SH2_-_rockgarde.jpg

20100618_122849_SH2_-_rockgarde.jpg

Doesnt look like much, but firstly,it's covered by soil. the plan was to cover it with soil, and have rain, riders and time have the soil wash over into the areas between the rocks. Should reveal the gnar underneath in about two winters or so.

2nd reason is the lack of big ass rocks near the site. It's an aweful mission hauling very large stones from other areas. oi...

this is the bit of track after the rock garden. Nice and free flowing. just stay off the brakes until the little drop off into the fire road which signifies the end of the SH2.

20100618_123156_SH2_-_after_roc.jpg

end of SH 2:

20100618_123223_SH2_-_end_of_SH.jpg

I might put a board up indicating the section. Should be easier for others to find it in future.

guys: the Signal Hill track is very very nice to ride. Not too technical, not too smooth either. Just nice. hard on the arms and legs, but u can get good speed. very good speed :)

SH2 is not yet complete, but there routes around all WiPs (Works in progress). Today, i sessioned from the top of SH2, down thru SH3, and the last bit of last year's Urban Assault course for a very very nice bit of shredding.

I had a bit of a walk around for SH1 (bit between the top tar road and the first fire road where SH2 starts), and it's even steeper than SH3, but it's gonna take a massive massive amount of work to make it a worthwhile ride. Can't have another straight zip down like SH2. Need to mix it up abit. But that i will leave for way way later. SH2 already takes a huge amount of grunt to get the littlest thing done. :) But njoi and let me know if anyone wants to session with me.

what beautiful rock gardens you have planted! Soon they will sprout and bring joy to many!