CamelBack

mtbN00b

Can you please tell me what to look for when buying a camel back... I saw prices from R180 - R1500 but do not know what to look for. I am still new in this mtb thing Embarrassed

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1st look at SportsDirects website - half the retail price and cheaper than CRC !!!! most important

2nd Get a 3L bladder, you don't have to fill it up but at least at this volume it will not be bulgy if you only want to put in 2L.

3rd make sure its a 2009 model. Big improvement on old ones.

4th Size dose count: Get the biggest one you can afford. HAWG is really awesome.

Nice to have: A lot of the newer ones come with built in rain covers. Makes a big difference. I have one (Scudo) and use it a lot.

Camelbak? is a brand and you pay for that name because they've got a life time guarantee on some of the stuff. Other hydration systems like Dunlop or Raleigh can be bought from Makro or Game at a 10th of the price but is crap. Buy a good name like Camelbak?, Hydrapak? or Deuter?.

Make sure it sits nicely on your back.  I've found some fit me really well and others are uncomfortable.

Make sure you get one that fits the stuff you need with you on a ride.  I don't do very long rides so mine is the smaller one, fits a tube, bomb etc but not much else and has a 1.5l bladder.  I always take a water bottle with as this is not enough for me for even a 2 hour ride.  If you are going to do long rides / stage races I think the bigger ones are the better option.

I've had mine now for more than 3 years and its still in good condition so IMO worth spending the money for the one you want as its going to last you a while.

Just cycle without one till you identify the need to have one (more fluid capacity, packing space etc.), then you'll know what your own personal requirements are and perhaps more importantly you'll appreciate or value it more.

I've been in races where guys cycle without one and manage fine, whereas I'd be lost.. 

Camelbak? is a brand and you pay for that name because they've got a life time guarantee on some of the stuff. Other hydration systems like Dunlop or Raleigh can be bought from Makro or Game at a 10th of the price but is crap. Buy a good name like Camelbak?' date=' Hydrapak? or Deuter?.[/quote']

Yeah I bought a Maxed one at Mr Price sport (due to budget reasons Embarrassed )- it is handy for now but I seriously need to get something better, by the time I get something out of the bladder I am to tired to do any riding LOL

This one is a 1L bladder but it is just-just enough for when I do Groenkloof

Saw a nice Camelbak today for R550 about..small and neat ... but i guess it is also going to be to small ?

If you are asking this question I think it is premature for you to spend bucks on one unless you dont mind changing in the near future.

It all depends on what you ride and what you take with you. Bladder, spares, chow, phone, keys, cash, ipod, whatever. Maybe lay whatever you think you will need out and decide on how much space to use. I do not think bigger is better.

Take your time. Nothing worse than having a pack that is too small that you have to stuff pockets or too big that you feel like a student backpacking Europe.

There are other things to consider such as cleaning, bitevalves, bladder durability etc.

Definetly if you go this route, go for Camelbak. Excellent quality, I use a the Camelbak Rogue on long training rides, I don't get too attached to its storage spaces as this is weight your shoulders will be carrying. The Rogue is a 2L and is as big as I would ever go. If you need more fluid use a single water bottle.

I had a look at one that is similar to the rogue... and at this stage it looks like the one that i may buy if I listen to all your criteria... 

I have a K-Way 12 liter hydro bag, bought a seperate 2l bladder, works great and you can exchange the bladder with different sizes. Cape Union Mart

I have a K-Way 12 liter hydro bag' date=' bought a seperate 2l bladder, works great and you can exchange the bladder with different sizes. Cape Union Mart[/quote']

isn't the bag a bit to big?

I have a K-Way 12 liter hydro bag' date=' bought a seperate 2l bladder, works great and you can exchange the bladder with different sizes. Cape Union Mart[/quote']

isn't the bag a bit to big?

Not if you're going away for the weekend Wink