Bitch and moan Roadies!

Regard

Silly argument cause CL members will stick up for their club cause thats what they do

Nope' date=' some of us just refuse to ride with the culprits. And let's be clear it definit

you have to have strong individuals in your club who aren't scared to take aside the wrongdoers and tell them in private to stop doing what they are doing. we repeat before every training ride that when there is no hard shoulder then it is single file.period.no arguments.so far we have had no incidents with motorists.touch wood.
[/quote']

Other than the few CCC Riders that still need to learn what a red robot is for.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest colonel

Silly argument cause CL members will stick up for their club cause thats what they do
Nope' date=' some of us just refuse to ride with the culprits. And let's be clear it definit

?

?

you have to have strong individuals in your club who aren't scared to take aside the wrongdoers and tell them in private to stop doing what they are doing. we repeat before every training ride that when there is no hard shoulder then it is single file.period.no arguments.so far we have had no incidents with motorists.touch wood.
[/quote']

Ive actually seen that on your club rides. Your club-well a group always cross paths with me on a saturday or sunday at the paddock robots. Always wave and say Hi. Decent bunch.

Guest Agteros

Since people do not want specific club names to be mentioned, I'll stick to 'some clubs' and/or 'them' / 'they'

So here goes...

Some clubs and individuals erroneously think that because they get 'marshals on motorbikes' to ride in front and behind their organised group rides, that afford them the same leniency and privilege afforded to organised road races.

The fact of the matter is that any group ride (whether organised by a club or whoever) is subject to ALL the rules of the road ALL the time. That means NOT RIDING NEXT TO EACH OTHER! Not even 2 abreast!

The motorbike riders are there to help control the pack, and to make the pack more visible, not to try an legitimise the illegalities being performed by the herd of cyclists. (Herd being used deliberately as people thing that like the herds of animals migrating across the Serengeti, there is safety in numbers..) Unfortunately only up to a certain point for cyclists...

Yes, we all brake the rules of the road (on and off the bicycle), but just because Paul gets away with it, does not make it right for Peter....

colonel - it IS my problem. i commute (sometimes) and although i generally keep on dirt' date=' there are places where i have to share the road with cars. i need all the goodwill i can get. if the motorist is irritated because of behaviour of one or 2 cyclists, he might take it out on me.

some mountain bikers have ventured on tar, and some roadies have dabbled off road, so its not us against them, we're on the same side! (aren't we?)

[/quote']I used to buy into the goodwill thing but the real problem is all about general road behaviour in South Africa.

I ride in Holland nearly every year with group from all corners of the world. We definitely don't stay on the cycle lanes all the time for whatever reason. The ones that are always shouting "car back" are the South Africans & Americans. The others almost get annoyed with us. But the difference is that the motorists are not so wound up that they get into a hysterical fit within 2 seconds. They give us time to move over & pass WHEN IT IS SAFE without even a comment. On the other hand no-one would ride like this on a busy road - the cyclists use the lanes in those cases.

colonel - it IS my problem. i commute (sometimes) and although i generally keep on dirt' date=' there are places where i have to share the road with cars. i need all the goodwill i can get. if the motorist is irritated because of behaviour of one or 2 cyclists, he might take it out on me.

some mountain bikers have ventured on tar, and some roadies have dabbled off road, so its not us against them, we're on the same side! (aren't we?)
[/quote']I used to buy into the goodwill thing but the real problem is all about general road behaviour in South Africa.

I ride in Holland nearly every year with group from all corners of the world. We definitely don't stay on the cycle lanes all the time for whatever reason. The ones that are always shouting "car back" are the South Africans & Americans. The others almost get annoyed with us. But the difference is that the motorists are not so wound up that they get into a hysterical fit within 2 seconds. They give us time to move over & pass WHEN IT IS SAFE without even a comment. On the other hand no-one would ride like this on a busy road - the cyclists use the lanes in those cases.

True Windbreaker, but in Belgium it's even better because the road law specifically allows for clubs WITH SUPERVISORS to ride in bunches on the road even if cycle lanes are present!  That is something SA can consider doing because it really is a lot more fun to ride in bunches on a training ride.

Here in Holland my my club rides are usually done two abreast in a group of about 50 people.  Cars don't stress.  Just wait and pass when it's safe.  You are right, it's the SA me-myself-I attitude that gets everyone all wound up!

What I want to understand' date=' and ask..... "Regard"is :? was your life being put into any danger, by said cyclist....if not....then why don't you shut up and go ride in the mud...

Us roadies moan about the cars...as a matter of fact.. I have a car and pay a license..if I am not using my car on the road I might as well ride my bike and use the SAME space as my car....I paid for it anyway.....[/quote']

You said it buddy......!!!

If you swim with sharks you might get eaten.

Big yawn.................................

Guys cycling clubs are way overated. You pay to ride with someones logos all over your body..............Go buy a plain black bib shorts and a white cycling jersey. I like the Assos payoff line........."sponsor yourself" You bought your bike, you ride it when you and where you want to ride it, provided you respect other on and off road users.

Just find a mate or two who is entertaining, I have Pantini.

Guest colonel

Big yawn.................................

?

Guys cycling clubs are way overated. You pay to ride with someones logos all over your body..............Go buy a plain black bib shorts and a white cycling jersey. I like the Assos payoff line........."sponsor yourself" You bought your bike' date=' you ride it when you and where you want to ride it, provided you respect other?on and?off road users.

?

Just find a mate or two who is entertaining, I have Pantini.
[/quote']

POST OF THE YEAR.

Well done Bud.

What I want to understand' date=' and ask..... "Regard"is :? was your life being put into any danger, by said cyclist....if not....then why don't you shut up and go ride in the mud... Us roadies moan about the cars...as a matter of fact.. I have a car and pay a license..if I am not using my car on the road I might as well ride my bike and use the SAME space as my car....I paid for it anyway.....[/quote']

?

?

Your point being???

What I want to understand' date=' and ask..... "Regard"is :? was your life being put into any danger, by said cyclist....if not....then why don't you shut up and go ride in the mud...

Us roadies moan about the cars...as a matter of fact.. I have a car and pay a license..if I am not using my car on the road I might as well ride my bike and use the SAME space as my car....I paid for it anyway.....[/quote']

Difference being that you don't drive in the middle of the road obstructing traffic at 30 kays an hour.

It's your life, do what you want, best you hope you don't get mowed down by a taxi or a redneck in a truck.

5 page thread and this has gone exactly nowhere.

If there is no space for a car to pass then he simply has to wait, and they do that without making a scene They pass when its save (Atleast most of them). Every now and then you get this crazy idiot with his city golf that deserves the middle finger.

If they want to ride in the middle of the road then who cares? Its their lives not yours.

When riding in France I felt so safe, they overtake when its safe and on the other side of the road, cars and trucks alike

What I want to understand' date=' and ask..... "Regard"is :? was your life being put into any danger, by said cyclist....if not....then why don't you shut up and go ride in the mud... Us roadies moan about the cars...as a matter of fact.. I have a car and pay a license..if I am not using my car on the road I might as well ride my bike and use the SAME space as my car....I paid for it anyway.....[/quote']

?

?

Difference being that you don't drive in the middle of the road obstructing traffic at 30 kays an hour.It's your life, do what you want, best you hope you don't get mowed down by a taxi or a redneck in a truck.

I have seen plenty old people driving at 30-40 kays an hour, so it they can do it in a car I can on my bike....

5 page thread and this has gone exactly nowhere.

If there is no space for a car to pass then he simply has to wait' date=' and they do that without making a scene They pass when its save (Atleast most of them). Every now and then you get this crazy idiot with his city golf that deserves the middle finger.

If they want to ride in the middle of the road then who cares? Its their lives not yours.[/quote']

Hey dude, we should ride together as we have the same outlook!!! smiley32.gif smiley32.gif smiley32.gif smiley32.gif

Guest Agteros

Yes' date=' we all brake break the rules of

the road (on and off the bicycle), but just because Paul gets away with

it, does not make it right for Peter....

[/quote']

I have seen plenty old people driving at 30-40 kays an hour' date=' so it they can do it in a car I can on my bike....[/quote']

So, you see somebody commit a murder, and that is yor ticket to murder another?

Get a grip man!