Road rage at Sun City

Cruzer

I did the Sun City 103 km today, I am licensed 30 - 40 and was seeded in VA but chose  to ride in B with a mate of mine.

We got off superbly and the main bunch settled in nicely. I was doing my thing, occasionaly moving up the side of the bunch getting to the front and drifting back after a short pull and repeating the process which was not easy as our bunch was HUGE.

Suddenly after a few pulls I hear a voice from behind " I have your number!! I am going to report you!!" Beside myself I glance back and see a guy in Super Cycling Kit GLARING at me. I asked him what the problem was and he said I had been crossing the white line.... I thought he was kidding, this made him more angry and eventualy we were having a good ol argument and he was quite clearly losing his temper.

Fisticuffs and hand bag slinging aside- Did I really do something that endangers others by occasionaly crossing the line? hell our bunch was huge and there were many riders crossing at any given time mostly to avoid braking when the bunch slowed and when overtaking other slower riders/bunches.

I recon this bloke, who as someone else pointed out had NO number owes me an apology, but at the end of the day could I be disqualified? and if so do you agree?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest colonel

Ask him if he rides single file and stops at red robots like the rest of his CL buddies in a post not to long ago.

Big bunches vs small roads is always going to be a problem. a BIG THANK you to our Marshal on the big orange HONDA. He had his hands full all the way and did a remarkable JOBsmiley32.gif

Probably going to have a lot of people saying you are evil to cross the white line. Truth be told in a huge bunch it is often unavoidable to cross into the other lane as long as you don't do it as a force of habit, I see no problem. Road Bella Bella and was part of a huge bunch VB (dropped off VA and joined up with VB). These guys spent plenty time in the other lane, mainly because the bunch was massive.

Today I tried to stick as close to the left as possible, I was at the front of my batch and for the most part we could stay in single file occasionally 2 by 2.

Anyway you seemed to encounter a classic "Klas Kaptein" mentality individual. They do tend to detract from your race, best ignore it and put it behind you.

What was he doing in the bunch without a race number?

Doing the race without paying or what?

Probably going to have a lot of people saying you are evil to cross the white line. Truth be told in a huge bunch it is often unavoidable to cross into the other lane as long as you don't do it as a force of habit' date=' I see no problem. Road Bella Bella and was part of a huge bunch VB (dropped off VA and joined up with VB). These guys spent plenty time in the other lane, mainly because the bunch was massive.

Today I tried to stick as close to the left as possible, I was at the front of my batch and for the most part we could stay in single file occasionally 2 by 2.

Anyway you seemed to encounter a classic "Klas Kaptein" mentality individual. They do tend to detract from your race, best ignore it and put it behind you.

[/quote']

Good advice.

Its behind me unless I discover I have been disqualified which I wont take lying down!

have we not had threads where folk loose their marbles cause other riders drop gu wrappers?

have we not had threads about riders crossing the white line and putting the bunch in danger?

If you crossed the white line, you were wrong. Finished and kla. (and I said IF ...)

Complaining about a guy shouting at you for crossing the line - thats almost like a guy saying he got shouted at for dropping a wrapper. Its whining. Many people on this forum say take it up with the rider when they do something wrong, and crossing the white line is something that comes up often. It was taken up with you (If and I say if you crossed the line).

Of course we can all assume you did not retaliate with anger or swear and just ignored the bloke - or maybe apologised (if and I say IF you crossed the line).

Daxiet .. you are banned from any further participation in this thread. Common sense and blanced views are not allowed. Clown

I crossed the line, a few times, so did the majority of us at some time or other.

I understand the dangers.

How then do cyclists race on our roads with these massive bunches? A genuine humble question.

Going up on the left is an option I suppose. Or maybe we ride the entire race in one spot wherever we find ourselves in the pack at the start?

What should we do when the bunch sudddenly slows or stops....all pile in? Or swerve out - cross the line and get hit by a car...

I was driving back from Stegmann Hospital near Sun City after an all-night shift at around 9 this morning. There certainly were cyclists crossing the white line regularly and I was forced onto the gravel by oncoming cyclists in my lane on two occasions. Not cool and it could have been ugly.

But hey, I'm a montain-biker, what the hell do I know about white lines?

Colonel that has gotta be the best chirp I have heard for a long long time.  Well done there.  Thanks man that made me huckle big time!!!

Btw also did the race and had a great race!

Just ignore the threat.

How can he get you disqualified? Idiot if u you ask me.

A shame it has to be someone from CL, but hey we cant all be nice heyWink

If what you say is true, he should also be disqualified for not wearing his number.

He obviuosly never crosses the line, cause he doesnt do a thing in the bunch.

They cannot dq, and not all the other 1000's who did the same today. I reckon in the bunch I was riding in, everyone at some stage crossed the line, so commissaire nightmare then!!

the race organizers need to start pulling up their socks

rolling road closure is dangerous. its not practical to say "dont cross the white line". Everyone knows it happens, and its just a matter of time before someone is taken out by an oncoming car.

Either they must strictly enforce white line transgressions or get proper road closure for the races.

The organizers make a packet out of the races, but are just too damn stingy to pay for road closure.