Creaking Seatpost

Zula

Nah, no spare saddle to try out. So I will just bite the bullet until it fall apart and I will get another one. I dont mind the odd strip and clean every now and then. Cleaning my bike is ritual and therapuetic! 

My seat creaked like crazy until I found the problem. Think its call seat creep. The seat would slow creep back which resulted in too much weight at the back. Have not figured out how to prevent it but have considered lock tight.Begin 93kg also makes it worse

So how did you fix it???? I weigh 90kg's so im roughly the same. Do i need to go on a diet??? hahaha

Oops, see I never gave you my solution - my medication is doing strange things to me this morning.

OK, my solution was to reset the seat every week. Its a pain. I suspect that the seat clamp has not enough grip on the seat bars (please correct my lack of terminology here someone). Because there are no notches on either one there is little grip which results in the seat creep.

Take it apart COMPLETELY, clean out all the dirt, silicone spray on everything, wipe off the excess. Also clean the seat rails.

You also need to put some of that copper grease (your lbs has it) in the seatube, and retighten the quickrelease.

If this doesnt work replace the seatpost, those single bolt X Mission ones are a bit k@k I managed to break mine within a week. Get a good quality two bolt post like an Easton EA50 and it will treat you well.

Thanks parabola. I did exactly what u recomended without even seeing ur post first!!

Stripped and cleaned out the whole thing. Never had silicone spray but used Q20 which should do the job. I have a double bolt x mission and its not much better, maybe i should get something better??

Anyways rode around the garden and its all gone!!! Now i must just pay extra attention to that area when cleaning after riding!!!

I have the same problem but never took it much thought except tightening it every now and then.

This is my idea:

The problem is related to the "torquing" of the seatpost but more importantly, that the two competing forces(front and back) are increased at the same time etc etc

So get the seat seated and balanced first , then turn a full turn on the screw in front , followed by a full turn at the back etc etc until they have met the torque settings.

You could have the correct torque front and back but that doesnt mean the seat is resting correctly on the front and back resulting in a squeek when you put some weight on it.

The rear part of the rail might be  touching but not really resting which causes the saddle to "hinge" from the front and this causes the squeek.

See my advanced graphics:

It might be touching and torqued, but not resting.

20090903_080711_Seat.JPG