Bicycle lanes. 99% completed. Will you use the lanes?

Lounge Lizard

Used the lanes today to go to into Cape Town to collect my mail.

The lanes are still not completely open into the CBD - some concrete barriers, but they are easy to bypass.

I think its a very impressive piece of cycle road we have here - I enjoyed riding it and recommend other to try it.

It is such a pleasure to get out of the traffic and onto this cycle path. I came from northern suburbs so only joined near Rietvlei.

It was a bit empty. In fact I only met 2 other bikes - not a single pedestrian (?) but I guess it was the wrong time of day (10am) and wrong time of year.

Felt a bit vulnerable in the last 3 kays or so - in Paarden-Island and the new stretch on the south after crossing the highway.

Well done to the CT city to get this built, lets just hope it does not become full of litter and broken glass like the older cycle lanes in the suburbs.

Good job !

Nic White from Team Medscheme has started a group called Right2Ride and is encouraging cyclists to join and help get awareness going for cyclists.

If you see anything that is newsworthy,both good and bad, please e-mail me at merek@baldasarre.co.za or merek@right2ride.co.za so that we can mention it on our group.

We are really trying to get awareness going, and had an awesome memorial ride last month in memory of all the fallen riders.

See photos on facebook on the group right2ride or on www.right2ride.co.za

Cheers and safe cycling

Merek

I use them everyday, Its a bit of a hassle the last few K's with the guys working on the fences and sprinklers and there is a bit of rubbish all over the path but they almost finished. At night at 11 when I go home I still use the N1 to the milnerton turn off. Feels safer.

:thumbup:

Nic White from Team Medscheme has started a group called Right2Ride and is encouraging cyclists to join and help get awareness going for cyclists.

If you see anything that is newsworthy,both good and bad, please e-mail me at merek@baldasarre.co.za or merek@right2ride.co.za so that we can mention it on our group.

We are really trying to get awareness going, and had an awesome memorial ride last month in memory of all the fallen riders.

See photos on facebook on the group right2ride or on www.right2ride.co.za

Cheers and safe cycling

Merek

For what its worth I travelled the Cyclists/pedestrian lane from Knysna up to the Brenton-on-sea turn off , and it will do for MTB but not a roadbike (Brick paving) ,still a nice ride though.;)

• 4 weeks later...

I try to use the cycling lane close to work, but you have to have insurance to do so. Path is broken and if the fat lady she walks on the path, you can't pass...

proper bicycle lanes should be seperated from the motor vehicle lanes by means of a curb like in Holland or Sweden thats the safest.

A KERB ! :angry:

In Holland and elsewhere the kerb keeps the cyclists out of the traffic. The traffic stays out of the cycle lane because the drivers know how to BEHAVE. :blink:

Have you EVER seen a kerb keep a taxi or Sandton SUV off the pavement ??

The taxis in Durbs even manage to throw themselves over 1.1m high concrete lane seperators! :thumbup:

ALL RIGHT ! WHO SLAGGED OFF ENGINEERS, OR MADE COMMENT ABOUT THEIR (heavenly perfection / long list of defects)?? :angry: :angry: :angry:

You have got BIG H 'going OFF again, and now we are all going to have to go get POPCORN. :cursing:

Damn you! You squeaky BB :devil: you !

• 1 month later...

Saw ADT security guys sitting in their yaris on the bus route this morning. Must be starting to patrol the routes or just keeping an eye out for us :)

Well after using it a few times now it should be awesome for a commute and even as part of a training ride.

I initially thought the lanes were too narrow, but in fact as a general rule most ppl will be going in the same direction at most times. To and from Work, and out in the early am and back in the late AM on weekends.

No reason to get run over now. and the intersections are not such an issue. Less hassle than standing waiting for the lights to change with all the cars buzzing you on takeoff.

But to get our Roadie egos to do the right thing could be an issue. You know the I am a Pro not a commuter.....

I like!!

Where in the CBD does the bike lane start?

It's a bit deurmekaar at the city side, but basically it's behind the big Volvo / Land Rover dealership behind the City Council buildings or, if you prefere, the station. In other words, coming from town, the station will be just on your right. You go past an old train carriage that is now a backpackers, and then you're on your way.

Erm, that's probably not really very explanatory but I don't have a map book here

• 9 months later...

Whats up with the cycle lanes in the city, they have lamp posts, traders and dustbins right in the middle of the cycling lanes :huh: This is not to mention all the broken glass lying about.

Whats up with the cycle lanes in the city, they have lamp posts, traders and dustbins right in the middle of the cycling lanes :huh: This is not to mention all the broken glass lying about.

still better than not having anything at all, I think. And no, they can't make the lanes into the perfect cycle track.

still better than not having anything at all, I think. And no, they can't make the lanes into the perfect cycle track.

This is also very true.