Cycling in Muddy Conditions

gremlin

What techniques does one follow when racing in muddy conditions. I did the last Illovo Eston and all the mud just kept sticking to the tyres that you eventualy cant move forward anymore, you need to clear all the mud before you can get going again. Eventualy at certain spots I was carrying the bike as it was easier that cleaning the mud off all the time.

The pro's still did the race alsmost as if it was dry if one looks at their finish times.

Is it the type of tyres they use in the muddy conditions?

1. Tyres, yes. Tread plays a big part in grip through mud and muck. There are plenty muddy and wet weather tyres available or try something that covers most grounds and seasons like Kenda's Nevegal. They're a bit slow in summer though.

2. Momentum - Make sure you carry enough speed through the worst of it.

3. Even pedal stroke - sudden bursts of pedal power will have you spinning yourself down deeper

4. Pick a line...any line - then stick to it. Making directions changes in mud will lead to disaster.

The Pro's got through there before it got churned up..

If you can just ride through someone else's Rut (requires a bit of skill)

I really dont like very muddy races anymore It has spoiled my latest drivetrain aswell now..oh well..

I still love Downhills In the wet.. Its more like surfing, Once you take off and drop into the pit, theres no way out/ no stopping.

Good luck

spray your tyres well with the old legend "spray and cook"  This makes sure the mud doesn't stick that much.  Works very well.  Also spray your chain!

I did the Illovo, and I could have written gremlin's post, since my experience was exaclty the same. I have Kendas on my GT. The knobs stick out at an angle from the tyre and they are substantial, not little bumps. They perform great on loose stuff- sand, rocks etc, but pick up mud like crazy. There are tyres where the knobs don't lie in an angle along the outside edge of the tyre and would not pick up the mud as easily, or would shed it.

Don't forget also that the pros would have 1. adapted their tyres to mud riding, and 2. they set off before the hordes, so that they would have been riding on unchurned surfaces.

Thanks, just needed some info becaues summer is comming and last year the 50 Miler also had rain and was muddy in the first few km's.

Yes and another trick

Take a piece of nylon gut and put it accros just above the tyre , it "cuts" the mud away as the wheel rolls through.

And the one who send this in to Super Cycling as a tip, the pair of shoes will be passed on to me .popeye2009-09-04 01:16:32

Yes and another trick

Take a piece of nylon gut and put it accros just above the tyre ' date=' it "cuts" the mud away as the wheel rolls through.

And the one who send this in to Super Cycling as a tip, the pair of shoes will be passed on to me .[/quote']

You mean something like a V brake cable just before it clamps onto the arm? V brakes?  yes those things another advantage Wink 

I used to polish my bike with Mr Min, also helps initialy to resist mud sticking to the frame (never tried it on the wheels).

Mud is ok and relatively easy but add some roots and that changes the picture. Still trying to figure out how to ride wet roots. Yes the "try and hit them square" works in theory but someone forgot to tell the roots to grow perpindicular to the track...Angry

you can tie it anywere as long as it is going accross(about 4mm higher than the tire loopvlak)

Dont use wire as some do, you want the string to stretch or brake when something hard is in the tire. You dont want the gut to push that object into the tire and getting a flat.

popeye2009-09-04 03:08:59

Yes and another trick

Take a piece of nylon gut and put it accros just above the tyre ' date=' it "cuts" the mud away as the wheel rolls through.

And the one who send this in to Super Cycling as a tip, the pair of shoes will be passed on to me .[/quote']

You mean something like a V brake cable just before it clamps onto the arm? V brakes?  yes those things another advantage Wink 

I used to polish my bike with Mr Min, also helps initialy to resist mud sticking to the frame (never tried it on the wheels).

Mud is ok and relatively easy but add some roots and that changes the picture. Still trying to figure out how to ride wet roots. Yes the "try and hit them square" works in theory but someone forgot to tell the roots to grow perpindicular to the track...Angry

Done a fair bit of racing in the slop, I find what works is to go faster, as the roots change your direction your momentum tries to keep you going in the same direction at least.

Yes and another trick

Done a fair bit of racing in the slop, I find what works is to go faster, as the roots change your direction your momentum tries to keep you going in the same direction at least.

Provided you overcome the "fear factor"