Tandem crash

HowellingWulf

...heard on 702 this morninng that there was a hit & run on cyclists on a tandem on the corner of Witkoppen & Main going torwards Fourways on Saturday (or Sunday) morning at 05h45. The car involved was a white Hyundai. A member of CSA (Giovanni ?) phoned John Robbie and requested that any witnesses should contact him.

I'm a bit sketchy on the details as I was late for work & still trying to figure out where things went wrong on the Down & Dirty race.

I also heard it on the radio yesterday. Funny that it has not gotten any webtime on the Hub.

Nice to see you listen to a decent radio station.....

Apparently they know that the car in a Hyundai because of the headlight that was left behind and also they know it is white because of the paint transfer.

Probably a guy who was comming home in the early hours of the morning (it happened at about 05h30) so he/she was either still plastered from the night's jol or more than half asleep.

I think it is horrible. Hope they catch the f*cker, lock him/her up and through away the key but alas, he/she'll probably get away with it. There is a lot of banged up Hyundais about.

Hey all,

The couple that got knocked off the tandem are membes at my shul. He is a great guy, and an excellent cyclist. Always encouraging me to take up cycling and join a club etc.

As far as their injuries go, they are not so serious ie no serious broken bones and all that kinda stuff. They do however have cosmetic injuries, alot of scratches and scrapes especially on his face.

They will PG make a full recovery!

As for the fool in the hyundai......well circles are round.

Was also wondering about them since I heard about the crash on the news...glad to hear they are OK!

Noche, I hope you will encourage them to become Hubbers (if they aren't already) so they can give as more details of the circumstances surrounding their crash and their recovery...

You would think that Giovanni would use all the avenues available (including this forum) to spread the word looking for witnesses to the crash. Come to think of it...CSA et al, are not as in touch with the cycling grassroots as they could be if they used the Hub! Maybe they don't place much value on the opinions expressed here, perhaps regarding most of us as mere "sh!tstirrers" Disapprove

Do they monitor the Hub in the same way that some of our prominent retailers do?

I doubt that they do monitor the Hub - there was another thread yesterday questioning their commitment to the "Joe Arbitrary" cyclist and it was quite scathing in criticism. Never saw a response.

Damn given? FAIL.

You would think that Giovanni would use all the avenues available (including this forum) to spread the word looking for witnesses to the crash. Come to think of it...CSA et al' date=' are not as in touch with the cycling grassroots as they could be if they used the Hub! Maybe they don't place much value on the opinions expressed here, perhaps regarding most of us as mere "sh!tstirrers" Disapprove

[/quote']

Exactly why I started this thread.

Ricky Bobby2009-09-09 03:13:35

The hub is seen as a curse to all officialdom.CGC has notified radio stations and updated it on their website.

Hope they recover quickly.  Glad there's been no serious injuries. 

Banged up white Hyundai... Good luck with that one...

Glad they were not more seriously hurt.

Karma is a biatch so hope the Hyundai driver gets what is coming to him.

On the morning of Saturday, 5 September 2009 I was driving on my way to the club ride at Broadacres shopping centre.  At approximate 05h50 I turned left off <?: prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />

Main Road
, Bryanston into
Witkoppen Road
.  Approximately 200m from the corner where there is a clear shoulder and double road I saw a cyclist standing on the side of the road, a security response vehicle with his lights flashing and the wheels of a bicycle lying off the road.  As I got closer, I saw 2 cyclists lying motionless approximately 5m off the road in the gutter which was more like a donga at that stage.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I came over to identify my friends Jeff & Cynthia Solomons as the injured cyclists.  Cynthia at that stage was semi-comatosed and lying on her back.  Amazingly however, she opened her eyes and identified me by name.  Her husband Jeff was lying next to her on his side but at that stage not conscious.  I could identify severe facial injuries and the start of a left peri-orbital haematoma.  Fortunately, both of them had a good airway and pulse volume.

The two people present had called for ambulance and police and fortunately within 10 minutes we had 2 response cars, three ambulances followed by a fire truck and a tow truck.  At that stage the paramedics immobilised Cynthia and Jeff on fracture boards with neck braces and they were transported to the Sunninghill Clinic.  I contacted Olly who came and fetched their tandem bicycle which still had its head light on and real tail light flasher but was in several pieces.  I followed the ambulances to Sunnighill Clinic where I handed over to the casualty officer and went back a few hours later.

Jeff & Cynthia were in the Sunninghill Clinic Intensive Care Unit.  They had been seen by Mark Eltringham, Orthopaedic Surgeon and also a club member.  Both of them had multiple spinal fractures, fortunately without paralysis.  Cynthia had a broken right elbow and their level of consciousness had improved although they still had no recollection of the accident.  Except for Cynthia?s case who said that on seeing me there she knew everything would be alright.

The tragedy of this whole event is that Jeff & Cynthia had front and rear lights and Cynthia was wearing a new reflective jacket, similar to those worn by our bike marshals.  Despite this and the fact that they were within the yellow line, they were knocked off their bike with such force that it ended up in 3 pieces and they were thrown at least 5m from the bike.  Brett, the cyclist cycling behind them, noted that the car was a white Hyundai involved in this hit and run incident.  In fact, pieces of the car?s headlight and reflector were present at the scene of the accident but unfortunately no number plate.

All credit goes to Brett the cyclist who stopped and the security guard in the response vehicle who parked his car with flashing lights to block the lane to prevent any further injuries.  Also to the fire department and ambulance services for their rapid response.

In a message to the public out there, if your son or daughter or neighbour has a smashed head light on the white Hyundai that cannot be properly explained, PLEASE contact the relevant authorities.  The same would apply to anybody involved in Hyundai spares or panelbeating.

Signed,

DR PETER SCOTT

CGC has posted it  on all sites, just been put onto hub,been on twitter,since monday on face book in central gauteng group also since monday, in newsletter, so all avenues have been covered