wrong travel shock

mrbaker

Good morning

I need a bit of advice from the technical guru's...

I sent my recently aquired second hand hardtail in for a service and the technician said that the shock that is currently on my bike is wrong for the bike.

It's a 130mm travel fork (REBA RECON) - where it should be 100mm.

They said that it will eventually cause problems & possibly break.

The bike did feel a bit difficult to handle when I first rode it, but I thought that was just me getting used to it.

The frame is :  GT Avalanche Pro Triple triangle design 6061 superlite butted hardtailframe with hydroformed tubeset : Size M

My questions are:

1.  Do I let them modify the shock down to 100mm travel - cost +/- R500

2.  Do I sell the shock I have now & add money in for a new shock.

3.  Do I carry on riding the bike as is.

Your words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated...

Interesting question.

The Recon is a cool fork, bit heavy for the weight guys, but still a nice fork.

Nothing wrong with changing the travel, it is just adding spacers internally, so no real biggy - depends on your budget really.

Get it done. R500 to adjust travel might sound steep, but that should include a service too. Also cheaper than ripping the head tube off your frame (with associated doctor's bills...)

Also, if you upgrade to a trail bike at some stage you can just get the travel changed back again and you won't need a new fork.

Well I think the Reba and Recon both have U-Turn which is exactly for changing the amount of travel of the fork, have a look on the crown of the fork for a "U-Turn" knob and adjust that, if im not mistaken the Reba and the Recon can be adjusted from 130mm to 100mm

And just btw, Recon and Reba are two different forks, and depending on which reba and which Recon you have, you might be able to adjust the travel you self via the U-Turn knob.

PM me if you want any further helpSmile

Hi Mr Baker

According to what I can see the travel on the Recon that you have can be adjusted between 85 - 130mm without modifying the shock (i.e. cutting the fork as the techi told you). R 500.00 sounds steep maybe get another quote.

On the other hand CRC are running some awsome deals on forks at the moment (especially with rand being strong against the pound). I.e 100mm 2010 Rock Shox Recon for R 2154 incl VAT or a Reba Race, same as mine for R3202 incl VAT.

And while you ordering from them you can get a new XT 32t middle chainring for R250 compared to the quote of R800 from your LBSOuch

SteveS2009-09-09 03:19:15

Interesting question.

The Recon is a cool fork' date=' bit heavy for the weight guys, but still a nice fork.

Nothing wrong with changing the travel, it is just adding spacers internally, so no real biggy - depends on your budget really.[/quote']

Recon Race's are pretty light for the money at about 1.8kg.

If you want to ride downhill, then keep it at 130mm, if you planning on riding more XC kinda stuff, then dropping the travel will make it more controllable on technical trails, and will make the bike easier to ride uphill.

parabola2009-09-09 03:13:06

@ jrussell - not all have u-turn, only the u-turn models. If it's just the regular guy, you've got to rearrange spacers inside the fork to adjust travel.

@ SteveS - see above, + that R500 will most likely include a service too (@ mrbaker, check this with the LBS)

@ parabola - the issue is with the frame, not the fork. If it's designed for 100mm travel, the extra leverage on the head tube caused by the slacker head angle and the temptation to launch off bigger and bigger things cos the travel is available can lead to the stresses at the head tube junction getting out of hand and ripping the head tube off - not pretty.

But you're right about the geometry.droo2009-09-09 03:55:03

droo 

"And just btw, Recon and Reba are two different forks, and depending on which reba and which Recon you have, you might be able to adjust the travel you self via the U-Turn knob."

Smile

Interesting question.

The Recon is a cool fork' date=' bit heavy for the weight guys, but still a nice fork.

Nothing wrong with changing the travel, it is just adding spacers internally, so no real biggy - depends on your budget really.[/quote']

I agree, Just had a look on the net and it seems that the expert and the pro does come with an adjustable fork on some models and it is 100mm to 130 so I do not think that it is going to break your bike.

Post a pic of the shock so we can check if it is a U-turn then all your problems are solved...for free

:-)

@ parabola - the issue is with the frame' date=' not the fork. If it's designed for 100mm travel, the extra leverage on the head tube caused by the slacker head angle and the temptation to launch off bigger and bigger things cos the travel is available can lead to the stresses at the head tube junction getting out of hand and ripping the head tube off - not pretty.

But you're right about the geometry.[/quote']

I see your point, it wont end too well for the rider LOL especially considering its 33% extra travel, not exactly negligible.

parabola2009-09-09 04:04:49

Interesting question.
I agree, Just had a look on the net and it seems that the expert and the pro does come with an adjustable fork on some models and it is 100mm to 130 so I do not think that it is going to break your bike.

Post a pic of the shock so we can check if it is a U-turn then all your problems are solved...for free
:-)

If It was a U-turn fork the Bikeshop wouldnt have wanted to Charge R500 bucks to have the travel adjusted.

If Its just the spacer then have that done, the U-turns are heavy (In the recon model cause they are not air) If this Is not a U-turn then Its probably a air fork- not to heavy- stick with it, good fork.

Reba Uturns Arle like henns teeth- sure It wont be one.

Wow - thanks so much for all the advice...smiley1.gif

I will get the bike back tonight & take it for a second opinion.

It's definitly going to be more costly if I wipe out and do a face plant-so I must do something...

I'll try upload a picture in the morning & also double check which model it is.

The other problem I've had since I've been riding this bike is that everytime I jump something I seem to be taking off at an angle- which isn't too bad until I have to land...Much to the delight of my fellow riders...I have had one nasty fall because of this.

Could this be related to the fork, as it never used to happen with my last bike, or must I just brush up on my basics?

<?: prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /> <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Could be technique, but try slowing the rebound on the fork down a bit and see if it helps.

Most forks have adjustable travel. You simply insert a rubber spacer on the compression rod. Many forks have the spacer sitting inside in a neutral space, ready to be moved up or down according to the customer's requirement.

If you just want a simply re-spacing, it could be done for about R100 and the cost of some oil, which you really shouldn't attempt to re-use. If you want to have it serviced at the same time, worst case scenario would be R500 since that would include all the seals. If your fork doesn't leak or loses air, it wont need the seals.

No No Mr Baker you cannot fix your landings. Who is going to entertain us on our rides down the Spruit. You are supposed to improve on your record of 4 wipeouts in one session LOL.