Tubeless - Is it really worth it???

Zula

Depends, Are the rims tubeless? If so then you just need new valves and sealant yes. Else you need strips + valves + sealant

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If there are holes in the rims for the spokes you would need tape to cover the hole and a rim strip. Some has gotten away without the rimstrip and just use the tape and a loose valve.

they talk about setting the tyers with a high presure pump. is this needed?

does the sealent go in through the valve after is has been inflated?

r tubeless ready rims far superior?? Im not keen for ''burpig'' and all the other horror stories ive ready about!

sealent then performs the same function as slim in tubes??

I've seated a non-tubeless tire on a non tubeles rim with a hand pump.

When I tried the second tyre (same tyre, same rim), it took a couple of bombs, and more than 1 trip to the garage to seat & seal.

So it depends...

it would be stupid of me to put tyer liners and tubes with slim in if i have tubeless rims and tyers already , right?

XT rims with tubeless tyres you can blow it up with you mouth !!! DIY you need a big compressor . BTW nothing wrong with doing any one of the getto conversions you will find on the hub . Do it once PROPERLY and you will not have any problems . Stans/joe rim tape is a waste of money .

So in conclusion (for me anyways)

1. XT rims

2. UST tyres (not sure which one so recomensation welcome)

3. Sealant

Thats all I need??

no, put most of the tyre on but leave a 10cm section of one beading off. put your little bit of sealant in there then put the rest of the tyre on.

you can try inflating with a foot pump and works quite often otherwise inflate with a bomb (manufacturer says you shouldn;t cause the sealant doesn't like the CO2, but once i've sealed it this way i let most of the co2 out and footpump the air in - keep the valve at the bottom as the co2 is heavier than air)

otherwise inflate with a compressor or at the petrol station - you'll need an adaptor if you using presta? (thin ones) valves but they are cheap at most bike shops

So in conclusion (for me anyways)

1. XT rims

2. UST tyres (not sure which one so recomensation welcome)

3. Sealant

Thats all I need??

Yip assuming you got a mtb   ,that would also be great .

i wonder how much this is gonna cost me at the LBS.... Unhappy

Donno bout your LBS but I will charge you 6 beers .

Noche if you want those XT wheels are mine we can talk price and Ill give you tyres as well + OKO tyre sealant. all you need to do is put them on your bike