Wake up call - Always wear a helmet!!

Putty

Bicycle helmets are overpriced for what you get. If you compare to motorbike helmets, which is more material etc. The bicycle helmet market should be quality at much lower prices; I believe the suppliers of these helmets are ripping the consumer?

Agreed KK. Very overpriced, but we dont really have a choice. Kids helmets worry me - how good are they? They always seem to be much cheaper?

Bicycle helmets are overpriced for what you get. If you compare to motorbike helmets' date=' which is more material etc. The bicycle helmet market should be quality at much lower prices; I believe the suppliers of these helmets are ripping the consumer?[/quote']

Yah, interesting point, I recently bought a new motorbike helmet as the old ones interior had started to fray. Went to one of the big stores here and found that good quality helmets are from around R3k up to around R5K.

You can get cheaper ones for around 1.5K but from my understanding there are "grades" of helmets as well, the cheaper ones are made of a polycarbonate material (not carbon fibre) and meant more for the scooter and snowmobile market, although obviously, lots of superbike riders buy them as well due to cost.

........but if one looks at the technology in these top of the range units, full carbon fibre shells, plush interiors, fog free visors, ventilation, great artwork (if you want) and some even have a rider to rider bluetooth system as standard, there is little comparison.

Bicycle helmets are overpriced for what you get. If you compare to motorbike helmets' date=' which is more material etc. The bicycle helmet market should be quality at much lower prices; I believe the suppliers of these helmets are ripping the consumer?[/quote']

How many motorbike helmets compaired to bicycle helmets get sold every year?

Both my bicycle and MX helmets are the best I could afford.

Was speaking to my brother in law who is a senior engineer at Eskom about helmets: bicycle vs motorbike.

He is an avid motorbiker and gave me some more insight from an engineering point of view. It just comes down to different designs, different materials and different manufactoring processes.

But he did throw some production costings into the conversation that showed that prices are exponential and not costs.

Yo Boet' date=' How is G doing today?

Tell him there are easier and less painfull ways to get a new bike. Wink

[/quote']

He's all good this morning boet. He managed to go for a swim to loosen up so great news but very very lucky. Cant believe I can can fly through the air like that and come off unscathed.

Bugger the new bike he was just trying to get outta the ride this morning HAHA!!!

Martin don't think so. One big hit and it needs replacing. Also 5 years out of fashion. Wink Gnarly2009-09-14 06:51:05