Mountain Unicycling - Tokai 19 Sept

JohnnyReggae

that looks awesome. for interest sake' date=' what does such a unicycle cost?[/quote']

The Uni's in the photos range from R2300 for the Qu-Ax 24" Cross which I use, to R6200 for the Kris Holm 29" which WOFT uses (2nd photo).

I've upgraded some of the parts on my Uni though, cranks, pedals, seat post ... all due to breakage ... new parts are much stronger Smile

give me some quick info regarding these..

Obviously one fixed gear ?- so you can peddle forward and backwards ?

the brake is under the seat ?

how do you get on ?

clipped in ?

is it just balance ?

give me some quick info regarding these..

Obviously one fixed gear ?- so you can peddle forward and backwards ?

the brake is under the seat ?

how do you get on ?

clipped in ?

is it just balance ?

Fixie... yes. All control is in the pedaling, forward, backwards, braking. You can get a Geared Hub designed by Schlumpf. It has 2 gears:

1:1 ratio

1:1.5 ratio

The geared hub will effectively give you the same pedal stroke to distance on a 36" Uni when on a 24" Uni. They are very expensive though and as far as I know there is no one is SA that currently has one. They retail for around R12000, and that's just the hub.

For Uni's fitted with brakes they are fitted under the saddle where they can be used by the hand holding onto the handle on the saddle. Brakes are not required though, and are only there as drag brakes in order to save the knees on long downhills, or to help killing some momentum on some steep descents.

Getting on or freemounting is just like riding.... it takes practise Smile and is not as hard as it first seems, which is the same thing I say about riding a Unicycle in the first place.

Not clipped in. It has been tried before with the obvious consequences Wink If you like face planting then you can try clipping in, although I wouldn't recommend it.

It is all just balance, just like riding a bike. Except with a unicycle you need to balance forwards/backwards as well as side to side. Again it's just some practice, and not as hard as it initially seems.

What line is that at the top?Confused

Is that your own line. I was out riding tokai yesterday. sh*t, Ive been racing my hardtail for the alst 3 weeks, so Im taking a easy week. The santacruise was at hand, man I fell In love all over again..that 70mm stem makes him the BOMB. I went up to the Bridal trail.. Its getting worse and worse, rocks everywere and tutty, I love it..also the landings of the jumps  on DH 1 - styling it up!

Nice pics Johnny

ok thanks. had a look now on oddwheel website. there's quite a choice... 

They do have a good selection depending on what style of riding you prefer to do. For Mountain Uni I would definitely recommend the Qu-Ax 24" MUni (Yellow Hub). 3 of the guys I ride with regularly have this Uni, and it is a beast and will take anything you care to throw at it. My one the Cross (Red Hub) is not bad either and has taken a lot of abuse so far, and has not flinched with the extra weight I carry Wink well ... sort of .... I did end up bending 3 sets of cranks before changing to a different/stronger make of crank. The aluminium  cranks are just rubbish IMO

Is that your own line. I was out riding tokai yesterday. sh*t' date=' Ive been racing my hardtail for the alst 3 weeks, so Im taking a easy week. The santacruise was at hand, man I fell In love all over again..that 70mm stem makes him the BOMB. I went up to the Bridal trail.. Its getting worse and worse, rocks everywere and tutty, I love it..also the landings of the jumps  on DH 1 - styling it up!

Nice pics Johnny
[/quote']

The line in the top 2 photos is on level 3. If you carry on the jeep track past Lizard (Downhill 2), about 200m further on it's on the left. It is the end of a trail that splits off Downhill 1. Where Boulders crosses Downhill 1, there are 3 trails..... left ... Boulders, right-ish ....Dowhill 1 extension which leads straight into Lizard (DH 2), straight (after taking the boulders split for about 20m) .... into this trail. It's not used as frequently as the other 2. It certainly is quite a tough line with only a few guys having attempted it. I haven't had the b@lls to try it yet Smile

Haven't done the Bridal Path for some time, nice trail but not overly technical (well it wasn't the last time I did it), and for me is a mission just to get to due to the distance. I would do it more often if I could get there faster.

Is that your own line. I was out riding tokai yesterday. sh*t' date=' Ive been racing my hardtail for the alst 3 weeks, so Im taking a easy week. The santacruise was at hand, man I fell In love all over again..that 70mm stem makes him the BOMB. I went up to the Bridal trail.. Its getting worse and worse, rocks everywere and tutty, I love it..also the landings of the jumps  on DH 1 - styling it up!

Nice pics Johnny
[/quote']
The line in the top 2 photos is on level 3. If you carry on the jeep track past Lizard (Downhill 2), about 200m further on it's on the left. It is the end of a trail that splits off Downhill 1. Where Boulders crosses Downhill 1, there are 3 trails..... left ... Boulders, right-ish ....Dowhill 1 extension which leads straight into Lizard (DH 2), straight (after taking the boulders split for about 20m) .... into this trail. It's not used as frequently as the other 2. It certainly is quite a tough line with only a few guys having attempted it. I haven't had the b@lls to try it yet Smile

Haven't done the Bridal Path for some time, nice trail but not overly technical (well it wasn't the last time I did it), and for me is a mission just to get to due to the distance. I would do it more often if I could get there faster.
AAh!! I got you.. that first section before the HUGE drop on  the right! man Why didnt I think of that! its like going down a singletrack staircase!whoop, probably the mont difficult trail in tokai(prob also the best Big%20smile) bar perhaps the first section of pofadder.

Tha bridal trail has gotten a bit worse/better. I like tha speed fact, Because lots of the other trails switches back on itself so quickly you cant get going as much, but the bridal has longer switchbacks. and ofcourse its fon flying into some dodgey stuff and having to just improviseBig%20smile