Cyclists behaving ...... badly!!!!!!

Guest Big H

Here are a few pics of cyclists behaving badly...... and quess where these pics were taken......

Excerpst from the email might give a clue.....

"Meeste fotos is op die Driefontein - Kromdraai pad geneem die pad wat ek na my werk toe to moet ry. 

Die mense het my geskel toe ek begin fotos neem van hulle.

Hierdie is nog net die begin want ek was laat vanoggend sal nog fotos neem later vandag en volgende naweek.

Let ook op die fotos wat op die snelweg geneem is.

Bang om die pad weer te gebruik. Ek hoor fietsryers gooi nou die karre met klippe"

I really hope the highlighted part of the email is only a rumour!!!!!!!

The first pic shows cyclist behaving well........ or so I though...... look to the right and you will see guardrails. This photo was taken on the N14 so they are illegally cycling there and breaking the law.

20090927_021418_behaving_well.jpg

This pic was taken on the Kromdraai road..... solid line on the right ...... enough space on the shoulder, but they chose to ride in the roadway AND insult to motorist!!!!!!

20090927_021854_behaving_badly.jpg

Maybe..... just maybe this is why residents do not like the cyclists!!!!!!

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The three postings above is exactly what I expected. Cyclists deserve the sh*t name they have as well as sh*t that comes their way when motorists retaliate!!!!!!!

Big H2009-09-27 02:50:12

happened on the camps bay road the other day to me. And these guys jsut swerved out into the road and rode abreast when they felt like it.And they dont check for cars when they do it. Had to brake to avoid running one of them down. Personally i think that if you are going to be a roadie, u need a cycling licence.

I agree with the THINKBIKE campaign but cyclists need to be aware and considerate of the motorists as well. Especially considering that in Woodstock the taxis drive on the pavements during peak hour and actually hoot for pedestrains to get out of their way, then i dont fancy my chances as a cyclist on these roads. But then again , it's your choice- An 8 km bicycle and a flimsy helmet versus a couple of tons of speeding death.....

The question is why has the problem gotten so bad over the last 2 years or so? It's almost impossible in enforce rules unless the riders are part of a club ride where you can take a complaint further.

I wished all bike mags and tv shows could do a joint campaign to promote safe cycling. Too many newbies are taking chances on the roads. If another fun rider goes through a red robot again this weekend I'm gonna scream!

Actually that first picture is on a stretch of the N14 that is not a freeway, I used to stay in Ruimsig and travelled the N14 in both directions on a regular basis.

The second photo really isn't a calamity, although I'd hope that those okes had the decency to give way for overtaking traffic.

Have to agree with cap'n slow's comment about taking photos whilst driving. Pretty darn stupid, in fact on the same level as the complaints leveled at cyclists.

Mind you I find the whole argument of 'cylists' vs 'drivers' vs 'taxis' etc etc stupid, as it comes down to a mentality issue of road users in general.danger dassie2009-09-27 03:47:10

Motorists are way too tense.

Rushing to where ever to save 5 - 10 minutes. Arriving there all agro cause some ladies and dudes were having a good ride on their bikes, and Adding to the profits of some coffie shop along the way. Probably enjoying some good conversation.

I have yet to see motorists obeying the speed limit. Normally what happens is that some poor oke is following the speed limit, and then a driver behind gets all agro, cause he is driving too slow, and rides up the okes butt. Chicks in bmw's do this often.

Now picture that driver arriving on some cyclists . The eyes probably flare red and the ears blow out steam.

Such is life.

The motorist is just as guilty as the cyclists as he was driving a motor vehicle and taking pictures!!

I really expected somebody who promotes "safe cycling" to take a different stance on the issue than what you posted above. Does this mean you and your "safe cycling campaign" condone cyclists having badly??????

We all seem to complain about Taxi's, idiot cyclists etc.etc, but have you traveled on the freeways of Gauteng lately?

I travelled from the Comaro on-ramp Bassonia to the Van Buuren off-ramp  in Bedfordview yesterday afternoon. As we all know that just about every Km of these roads have road works. I set my speed control to 80km as this is the speed limit and proceeded on my way in the extreme left lane.

Well, let me tell you, I did not see any taxi's as this is not a Taxi route, but I did see X5's, ML', other Fancy Mercs & BMW's and the odd boy racer coming past me at speeds that I am sure was faster than the national average of 120km's per hour. This all from so called 'educated' people.

It just sickens me to think what our society has become. We are quick to moan and point out 'others' lack of respect yet we are the ones just as guilty of breaking the law.

To me, it is simple! What is the difference between a Taxi riding on a pavemet to get to his destination quicker or someone driving with a cell phone, either stuck to their ear or texting? NO DIFFEReNCE!! THEY BOTH BREAKING THE LAW!!!

We need to start by making a difference! If we all start respecting the rules and laws of this country and obeying them and STOP worrying what the next person is doing, then maybe, just maybe we will have a chance of making this country a better place not just for us, but for our children, grand children & great grand children.

I am not wanting to start a debate but merely stating my point of view.

May GOD Bless you all as you travel on our roads whether by Bicycle, Car, Bus, Taxi etc.

Actually that first picture is on a stretch of the N14 that is not a freeway' date=' I used to stay in Ruimsig and travelled the N14 in both directions on a regular basis.
The second photo really isn't a calamity, although I'd hope that those okes had the decency to give way for overtaking traffic.

Have to agree with cap'n slow's comment about taking photos whilst driving. Pretty darn stupid, in fact on the same level as the complaints leveled at cyclists.
Mind you I find the whole argument of 'cylists' vs 'drivers' vs 'taxis' etc etc stupid, as it comes down to a mentality issue of road users in general.[/quote']

Danger Dassie, that section of the N14 is between the onramp at Mulderdrift and the robot at Hans Strydom where the N14 turn towards the west. The section where they are cycling is indeed an expressway where cyclists may cycle........ but their ride started where the N14 is still a highwyay. THAT is illegal.

The motorist is just as guilty as the cyclists as he was driving a motor vehicle and taking pictures!!

I really expected somebody who promotes "safe cycling" to take a different stance on the issue than what you posted above. Does this mean you and your "safe cycling campaign" condone cyclists having badly??????

BigH, I am sure you do know the meaning of Guilty!!

Read my post and I quote, " just as guilty as the cyclists!!!"

2 wrongs don't make a right!!

Captain Slow2009-09-27 04:04:35

We all seem to complain about Taxi's' date=' idiot cyclists etc.etc, but have you traveled on the freeways of Gauteng lately?

I travelled from the Comaro on-ramp Bassonia to the Van Buuren off-ramp  in Bedfordview yesterday afternoon. As we all know that just about every Km of these roads have road works. I set my speed control to 80km as this is the speed limit and proceeded on my way in the extreme left lane.

Well, let me tell you, I did not see any taxi's as this is not a Taxi route, but I did see X5's, ML', other Fancy Mercs & BMW's and the odd boy racer coming past me at speeds that I am sure was faster than the national average of 120km's per hour. This all from so called 'educated' people.

It just sickens me to think what our society has become. We are quick to moan and point out 'others' lack of respect yet we are the ones just as guilty of breaking the law.

To me, it is simple! What is the difference between a Taxi riding on a pavemet to get to his destination quicker or someone driving with a cell phone, either stuck to their ear or texting? NO DIFFEReNCE!! THEY BOTH BREAKING THE LAW!!!

We need to start by making a difference! If we all start respecting the rules and laws of this country and obeying them and STOP worrying what the next person is doing, then maybe, just maybe we will have a chance of making this country a better place not just for us, but for our children, grand children & great grand children.

I am not wanting to start a debate but merely stating my point of view.

May GOD Bless you all as you travel on our roads whether by Bicycle, Car, Bus, Taxi etc.
[/quote']

The horrible vision of trying to take the toothpick out of somebody's eye whilst the telephone pole is firmly embedded in the cyclists brain comes to mind!!!!!!!!!!