Q20 for chain lube

Shiny calves

Guys

Is it ok to lube my chain with Q20? Cause I've been to my LBS for some chain lubricator and they quite expensive. So I can only afford a can of Q20 at the moment.Smile

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guy at my LBS told me that Q20 when mixed with sand gathered, forms sort of a grinding paste that can damage your chain. Did you look for SQUIRT DRY LUBE. It's wax based and not that expensive

The only difference between using Q20 and a proper lube is that your going to have to replace your chain sooner - much sooner. Considering that cheapest chain costs as much as a good quality lube (R100 randts) I would rather get some proper lube.

But I understand your situation. I was in a pickle and ended up buying the cheapest lube from my LBS - much to their protests. On my next visit I actually apologised to them for being a know-it-all and bought proper lube.

Oh, is this for road or MTB????

Would you oil your chain with Kerosene? Probably not.

I have more experience with motorcycle chains and based on the cost of a broken chain I use the best lube (and fairly expensive) I can find. 

Q20 has it's uses, but I cerainly dont think of it as a chain lube. I would rather use new motor oil - like the left over's after an oil change.

Motor oil actually worked the best (for me) from a wear point of view (m/c chain). Remove the chain and clean it VERY well. Then leave the chain to soak in oil. Then take it out, let the excess oil drip away and wipe away any excess. Unfortunatly this is a major pain in the ass - Thats why they invented chain lube LOL

The only difference between using Q20 and a proper lube is that your going to have to replace your chain sooner - much sooner. Considering that cheapest chain costs as much as a good quality lube (R100 randts) I would rather get some proper lube.

But I understand your situation. I was in a pickle and ended up buying the cheapest lube from my LBS - much to their protests. On my next visit I actually apologised to them for being a know-it-all and bought proper lube.

Oh' date=' is this for road or MTB????
[/quote']

It's for road.

Would you oil your chain with Kerosene? Probably not.

I have more experience with motorcycle chains and based on the cost of a broken chain I use the best lube (and fairly expensive) I can find. 

Q20 has it's uses' date=' but I cerainly dont think of it as a chain lube. I would rather use new motor oil - like the left over's after an oil change.

Motor oil actually worked the best (for me) from a wear point of view (m/c chain). Remove the chain and clean it VERY well. Then leave the chain to soak in oil. Then take it out, let the excess oil drip away and wipe away any excess. Unfortunatly this is a major pain in the ass - Thats why they invented chain lube LOL

[/quote']

Yah, back in the days I rode M/C's without driveshafts Wink like today, I was told to do the same by the local bike mechanic, he actually told me to go one step further and warm the oil slightly, which I always did and I never broke a chain, ever.! Always ran smooth and silent.

Actually used to do the same with all the cables as well, remove them, hang them up and drop oil down between the sleeve and the cable until it dripped out the other end, allowed it to drain and refitted them - fantastic.!

Personally I would agree with you and say lubing a bike chain this way is the best option if you have the time and patience, sadly I dont have either anymore so drive M/C's with a drivshaft and buy lube for my bike chain.Confused

a simpler solution is to ride with your mates and blag a squirt of lube off them, that way you get to experiment with different brands at no cost at all

Another bump for squirt - got introduced to it at last years Baviaans when each entrant got a little bottle.  Not that great for mtb in the wet though, then I use Finish line dry!  For the road Squirt should be fine.

I would not use Q20 - not designed for chains

I can say that cooking oil is not an effective chain lube - OK, so I grew up poor and had to lube my racers chain to get to school and all we had was cooking oil LOL

Cooking oil only lasted 30km (that was a days trip -15km to school and 15km back)

Cooking oil? I wonder if pig fat would have been better?

What about castor oil? Little 2 strokes rev up to 25k rpm using castor oil. Smells good too!

Gansbay, I have used squirt on my mtb in the wettest conditions possible and it just preformed. The trick with it is to put it on your bike then get your stuff and go, to give it a chance to dry properly.

Gansbay' date=' I have used squirt on my mtb in the wettest conditions possible and it just preformed. The trick with it is to put it on your bike then get your stuff and go, to give it a chance to dry properly.[/quote']

Thanks for the tip - will try it that way.  My usual routine is get bike, lube chain and ride!

http://www.squirtlube.com/pix/lldl.jpgI use this on my MTB and raod chains. Not a days worth of trouble

How much does it cost?

Guy at my LBS told me that Q20 when mixed with sand gathered' date=' forms sort of a grinding paste that can damage your chain. Did you look for SQUIRT DRY LUBE. It's wax based and not that expensive[/quote']

So that's why my chain's looking a bit hammered already.. Squirt here I come

http://www.squirtlube.com/pix/lldl.jpgI use this on my MTB and raod chains. Not a days worth of trouble

How much does it cost?

My last bottle of three that I bought a year or two back cost R55-00 for the bottle above. There has now been many endorsements for Squirt, it works....... use it.

BJ and other "experts" may come up with highly technical reasons that totally flabbergasts us normal cyclists with their mumbo jumbo why Squirt will not work.

It works for me and I will keep on using it.