Q20 for chain lube

Shiny calves

http://www.squirtlube.com/pix/lldl.jpgI use this on my MTB and raod chains. Not a days worth of trouble

How much does it cost?

My last bottle of three that I bought a year or two back cost R55-00 for the bottle above. There has now been many endorsements for Squirt' date=' it works....... use it.

BJ and other "experts" may come up with highly technical reasons that totally flabbergasts us normal cyclists with their mumbo jumbo why Squirt will not work.

It works for me and I will keep on using it.
[/quote']

You can get it for cheap-cheap at Solomons gifts for R45. If you feel like spending a bit more, you can buy the same bottle at FPC for R85...

Would highly recommend it, trick is to apply it to your chain and let it dry (just do what they say on the bottle) since it is a wax based lube and it only goes waxy when dry otherwise it does not really work and gets really dirty - think of candles on a beach party dirty.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

oh my google!

use Q20 if you want to.

use cooking oil if you want to.

use whatever you want to, as long as it lubcricates the chain for use its fine.

The only catch, as with everything is that you must just look after it.

Oh yes, fine bits of sand get glued to everykind of lubrication with time and form a paste. It about how you look after it that will determine its life span.

I hear the Motorex product (wet & dry lube) is also great....will get some and post my verdict.

Dunno what it cost & if Midas etc also sell it....

http://www.squirtlube.com/pix/lldl.jpgI use this on my MTB and raod chains. Not a days worth of trouble

How much does it cost?

You can buy it from Solomons in PTA-North, maybe get a few rands of if you pay cash. Else, I buy from Cycle House in PTA-North. They'll give you a very good price

I find the secret is not how often or what you use to lube your chain but how frequently and well you clean your chain. Keep it clean and lube lightly and you will get good life out of your chain. The problems arise when you lube a dirty chain, you are just wasting money because you are not removing the abrasive particles first

if you do not want to fork out the money for bike specific lube then go and get Spanjaard Liquid grease at Midas or just nick your gran's 3-in-1 naaimasjien oil. The fancy stuff just claim to be cleaner then normal oil. Oil can not attract dust. Dust settles so if the chain with the sticky oil is in its path, it will settle on it.

if you do not want to fork out the money for bike specific lube then go and get Spanjaard Liquid grease at Midas or just nick your gran's 3-in-1 naaimasjien oil. The fancy stuff just claim to be cleaner then normal oil. Oil can not attract dust. Dust settles so if the chain with the sticky oil is in its path' date=' it will settle on it.[/quote']

That's just wrong

I wonder if my video shop has Groundhog Day in stock? I feel an incredible wave of Deja vu coming on.

And...it seems as if Hendrik and I are not on speaking terms again....oh dear.

I used Q20 on my road bike, brilliant.

On my MTB I have only used genuine chain lubes all pickup dirt and sand and form a nice grinding paste, Squirt just forms a harder wax paste. All in all I don't believe in any chain lube.

Used White Lightning Epic and Squirt. I think I need to revisit Q20 on my MTB chain, see how it fairs.

Try Motorex Dry Lube. It's flows just like normal oil and really gets into the rollers. But is dries out on a MTB. Everything is nice and clean but you need to re-apply. It only lasts one ride for me. It does not work well on a road bike. It does not dry out and then just get very dirty. I use Squirt on that.

I wonder if my video shop has Groundhog Day in stock? I feel an incredible wave of Deja vu coming on.

YUP!!!smiley17.gif And huge wave of  "Deja Moo" too

Go Squirt!!!

I find the secret is not how often or what you use to lube your chain but how frequently and well you clean your chain. Keep it clean and lube lightly and you will get good life out of your chain. The problems arise when you lube a dirty chain' date=' you are just wasting money because you are not removing the abrasive particles first[/quote']

ClapClap

keep it clean is something I have learnt while on the hub ----------> however application of said knowledge is another thing

And is it ok to clean your chain with paraffin?

Yes it is, as paraffin will penetrate and clean the chain. You do now however have to get rid of the "fatty" residue left behind. If left behind this will now dillute your new lubricant and reduce viscosity. Wash the chain cleaned in paraffin in hot water with Sunlight Liquid and rinse, hang up to dry. I use an old cycling water bottle to wash the chainto get rid of the paraffin. Close the lid and shake vigorously.

Breaking your chain and fitting new linkage pins will eventually weaken your chain. Get a SRAM link to split the chain easily. I seldom remove my chain nowadays as I use a clamshell type chain washer with Sunlight Liquid. BBB makes a good quality one.

Get a SRAM link to split the chain easily.

Just be careful which link you get. The SRAM 9sp quick links are meant to be reusable. The 10sp link is called a Powerlock is not meant to be opened once it's installed (it's also damn difficult to remove the 10sp link - I had to use water pump pliers).

If you need a 10sp link, try and find a KMC Missing Link. The KMC Shimano link will definitely work on both Campag and Shimano chains. The KMC Campag link definitely works on Campag chains, but I haven'te tried one on a Shimano chain.

I used to use paraffin to clean my chain until I realised I had no easy way to get rid of the dirty paraffin (you can't just pour it down the drain). I now use Kleen Green which is almost as effective and doesn't kill my plants when I pour it out in the garden.