Garmin Edge 305 SUCKS!

Tankman

I am also on my 3rd unit now. The first 2 also just died, after having been charged. They were replaced without any haggle under warranty, so on that score I have no problems. The problem was my lost info that could not be recovered. The present unit is now 10 months old and is working well. Hold thumbs.

smiley1.gif

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if the guarantee works the way you explained it' date=' only the first one was still under guarantee.

But why would a replacement unit not receive a new 1 year guarantee, it is brand new? Exactly the same as if I would have went and bought it new in a shop?

Again, not the guarantee that is the issue here, the product is! It is not the guarantee causing the unit to switch off.
[/quote']

The reason the guarantee dosnt work on an extension basis is because then you could (theoretically) keep extending your warranty indefinately, and the supplier would remain liable indefinately. There has to be a definate start and a definate end to any warranty.

If you pay for a new unit, thats differant, but your contract comes into force on day of first purchase and runs 12 months, irrespective of how many units you may get replaced in the 12 month term. 

This is common with 99% of guarantees, something to just keep in mind for next time,- small print and all that stuff.!

On the guarantee / Avnic and the known product fault issue, its really 6 of one and half a dozen of the other, you claim Avnic has been helpfull, but in respect you are still without a unit because Avnic is apparently not acknowledging the issue you claim is well known - the two issues are intertwined, if you were sorted out you wold have been happy with the product and Avnic, not so?, - but now you are irritable because the unit fails and you feel you are out of pocket and badly serviced.!

I hear your issue, all I am just saying, is that, even if this is a known fault to Avnic (and I dont know if it is) they are not under any obligation to repair or replace any unit out of warranty, - just because Garmin do's so in the USA, it must not be assumed its an international practise.

The reason the guarantee dosnt work on an extension basis is because then you could (theoretically) keep extending your warranty indefinately, and the supplier would remain liable indefinately. There has to be a definate start and a definate end to any warranty.

Ok I see your point.

But the warranty should not last indefinitely if the unit could last longer than year. If a manufacturer is not willing to extend the warranty on a new replacement unit, what does that say about their confidence in the product? Are they expecting it to pack up again?

If Avnic or Garmin or whoever is under no obligation to replace the unit out of warranty, I would have had to buy an additional two units by now.

Irritable would not have been the word....Tankman2009-10-07 00:54:42

Ok I see your point.
But the warranty should not last indefinitely if the unit could last longer than year. If a manufacturer is not willing to extend the warranty on a new replacement unit' date=' what does that say about their confidence in the product? Are they expecting it to pack up again?

If Avnic or Garmin or whoever is under no obligation to replace the unit out of warranty, I would have had to buy an additional two units by now.

Irritable would not have been the word....[/quote']

Yah,.... look,....I hear you, I am just explaining the rationale behind the issue.

All I can suggest, is to talk to them in person,throw yourself on their mercy and explain the whole shebang, suggest you are a tad unhappy and its not what you had expected, but always leave them an escape route, a way they can feel good about helping you.

Of course if they dont,....................feel free to shout.!Big%20smile

cool, I have posted a link to this thread on the garmap forum on monday, so they are aware about my little rave here!

• 1 month later...

I bought one of the first 305's circa 2006.  It was sent in for repair on a few occassions (for the unit switching off and other issues).  Two months ago it finally gave up the ghost.  I had to pay in a R1k and Avnic replaced it.  Would have liked to pay in on a 705, but, Avnic wanted nothing of that.  So far so good - no problems.  I still think the 305 is a great unit when it works

Well, I am quite disgusted, I have a 705 and recently did the firmware upgrade, my unit is not calculating altitude any more and the gradient is very inaccurate, I have called Avnic's technical department numerous times, I never get the correct dude on the phone, after a long wait I normally leave my number and ask if someone could call me, this has now been going on for around 3 weeks.

Poor, poor service.

My remedy has been to bust send it in via Speed Services, wait two weeks and it should be done!  Check the Avnic website for details. 

Polar service = great.

Avnic service = very average to poor.

both products do have issues. 305 is great when it works. hoping mine doesn't start going dead again after it gets charged.

my 305 worked 4 times (3 weeks).

Died Sun morning @ 94.7 start.

Avnic people lost - Garmin and all. Bunch of idiots.

my 305 worked 4 times (3 weeks).

Died Sun morning @ 94.7 start.

Avnic people lost - Garmin and all. Bunch of idiots.

Nou wat nou? Praat met my.

Mu first 305 that i got 2nd hand died and Avnic gave good service. My 2nd new unit is still fine.  Smile

Mu first 305 that i got 2nd hand died and Avnic gave good service. My 2nd new unit is still fine.? Smile

See, Zoo Cookie! Talk!

I was going to buy the 305 in Jan, but now dont know whether its such a good idea. From what I've read, the 305 has more nigles than good points. What Polar product would compare with the 305 and also with the 705?

My 305 was changed 3 times, no problems. I sold my last replacement unit still unopened. I believe the problem lies with the unit shorting out because the holder gives it no cushioning, just my opinion.

I loved my Garmin, and found the after-sales service top notch, unfortunately though the 305 is a lemon with serious issues.