WHEEL OPINIONS SPINERGY VS AMERICAN CLASSIC

Jeepdude

OK SO I NEED SOME WHEEL OPINIONS NOT COSMETIC ONES.

WOULD LIKE TO KNOW OF EXPERIENCES WITH THE BELOW WHEELSETS

THE SPINERGY LOOKS NICE HAS FUNKY SPOKES BUT TO BE HONEST NOT REALLY A "LIGHT WHEELSET" WHY BOTHER CONSIDERING THESE?

20091017_054218_Wiel.jpg

THE AMERICAN CLASSICS LOOK NICE AND THEY ARE ALMOST 300 GRAMS LIGHTER..... I KNOW DIRTY TWIN HAS JUST BOUGHT SOME WITH HIS IBIS.. ANYBODY ELSE OUT THERE? BTW THE SPINERY WHEELS ARE MORE EXPENSIVE

20091017_054529_977_4_mtb_mtb26.jpg
bertusvanzyl2009-10-17 05:46:04

I have no experience with the Cyclone wheels but do ride AM's. Very good wheels and I have had no problems with them at all.

20091017_054719_DSCF8561.JPG

hmmmmm it seems the classics then? will wait for some more opinions... lucky to test ride the spinergy set though

The AC are value for money if you want a light set of wheels. The rims are a little bit soft - can easily bend if you hit a rock -  happened to my son not to long ago. The bearings are very smooth.

Somebody told me that the Spinergy wheels flex to much

Konaman2009-10-17 14:03:35

thanks things i need to hear.... i am not one of the lightest racers out there.. 82kg chasing down other fast okes over rough stuff....hmmm need tuff rims..... but light fast rolling bertusvanzyl2009-10-17 14:06:38

I know a few guys who have to service their AM classics very often. A am not convinced that the AMC's are the best option for the heavier rider that rides often. You know the old saying of light, cheap,strong. Choose any two. Have you considered XT wheels? Icycling has advertized them somewhere on the hub for R 3500 I think. 

You have chosen to insert yourself between a rock and a hard place. There are more comfortable places to be.

Some things to consider.

1) Proprietary parts such as nipples and spokes.

2) Hub flange width

3) Bearing size.

4) Rim weight (heavier is actually better in this case).

5) Quality of build.

Both these wheels require spokes and/or nipples that can only be obtained from the agent.

The ACs at least, have narry hub flange spacing making for a flexible wheel. I don't remember ever taking notice of the flange spacing on the Spinergies.

The bearings on the AC are too small for the job and require frequent replacement. A new cartridge bearing of that type is about R80 or more. The rear wheel has four, the front 2. That's not a trivial maintenance expense.

The ACs have rims that are light. Unfortunately light means less material and less material makes for softer rims that are in my opinion just too soft for XC.  Road maybe, XC not. Thinner walls also makes for less durability. Their longevity will be approximately proportional to their weight relative to another rim.

The Spinergies require spokes from one, and one source only. The ACs use a proprietary aluminium nipple that cannot be replaced by a standard nipple unless you also replace the spoke. This is an insidious feature that could have  been avoided by the designers.

The large, parallel flanges on the ACs are not condjucive to good building. The spokes just about always exit the hub with a visible gap, which equates to offset and thus fatigue and broken spokes. Fortunately the rim go first and you'll probably get a rebuild with new spokes before the others have time to break.

The Spinergies are a bitch to clean. That filligree flange is over complicated and a trap for dirt. Replacing a spoke is also not trivial, you need a special tool and some fancy footwork to replace just one spoke. The nylon coating on those spoke quickly picks up nicks and cuts and look and feel ugly. Then again, stroking spokes is not something you should do all day.

Get real wheels with big bearings, steel spokes and beefy rims that anybody can repair with standard tools and spares.

dankie JOHAn.... dis nou 'n mondvol maar PRESIES wat ek nodig gehad het om te hoor.... na die Raad def nie die AC's nie... ek is duidelik te swaar en onvergeeflik op wiele...