Cramps?

Slipstream Sean

So I've been getting a few niggle cramps towards the end of races, usually resulting in me having to turn off the pace a bit. I'm not a fan of taking anti-cramping supplements, as I'm a big believer in training and allowing your body to make the adaptions by itself, but im aware that there are many reasons why one cramps like lack of water, mg, k, na, lactic buildup etc. and the cramping supplements give them a boost so I've decided to try them.

I bought some usn cramp block. It says you should take 2 tablets before a race and then 1 every hour into the race...now to me that is just overkill! Does anyone else follow these dosage recomendations. I'm not pulling up with any cramp unil at least 3hrs into a race. I would only take one after 2hrs. What do you guys do?

Just like when you're hungry in a race its already too late to eat, i think the same goes for these cramp pills. I dont use these, because I've heard from some people some actually give you cramps!

Guest Agteros

Sean I did a fair bit of reading on this, as I used to suffer at 60km. Even went for blood tests, tried all the over priced products. Nothing helped, until someone said "Train harder, more often" Even articles I found at the time by Tim Noakes, stated that there was no proof that any supplements helped. The only common factor seemed to be muscle fatigue, unless new research has come up in the last three years. I'm no Sports Physiologist, but I did see one at the time, and she said " Try regularly to simulate racing conditions in your training, as a lot of people race harder than they train and then fatigue sets in".

My 2cw

Sean I did a fair bit of reading on this' date=' as I used to suffer at 60km. Even went for blood tests, tried all the over priced products. Nothing helped, until someone said "Train harder, more often" Even articles I found at the time by Tim Noakes, stated that there was no proof that any supplements helped. The only common factor seemed to be muscle fatigue, unless new research has come up in the last three years. I'm no Sports Physiologist, but I did see one at the time, and she said " Try regularly to simulate racing conditions in your training, as a lot of people race harder than they train and then fatigue sets in".

My 2cw
[/quote']

100%correct was also told to increase training hours and to simulate race pace.

I randomly stumbled on the blog of a pro-rider training for the Epic. He was using a power tap to train and he described what he called lactic acid dumping training: He would do a couple of minutes balls to the wall to generate lots of lactic acid, and then sit at an semi-intensive pace for a while and repeat. Basically interval training to simulate attacks in the lead bunch. So in short, to add to what has been said before, an aspect of training is to simulate racing conditions. <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Also spoke to a doctor at the DIY maintenance course that confirmed what has been hinted at already: You brain is the ultimate controller of your "perceived" fatigue.

Sean I did a fair bit of reading on this' date=' as I used to suffer at 60km. Even went for blood tests, tried all the over priced products. Nothing helped, until someone said "Train harder, more often" Even articles I found at the time by Tim Noakes, stated that there was no proof that any supplements helped. The only common factor seemed to be muscle fatigue, unless new research has come up in the last three years. I'm no Sports Physiologist, but I did see one at the time, and she said " Try regularly to simulate racing conditions in your training, as a lot of people race harder than they train and then fatigue sets in".

My 2cw
[/quote']

Yeah I agree totally...I hate the thought of taking these supplements to perform my best, as I said i'm a big believer in the training side of things...i.e. if u cramp ur not fit enuf. I've only done 2 races this year, and the 2nd was the 1 tonner so I guess I'm being being a bit impatient so early in the season.

Thanks for the feedback guys

If you believe USN crampblock gonna work then it WIll , It works for me and I easily take 6 during a race .

Guest Agteros

niggle cramps

I read Nipple Clamps smiley36.gif

I do not think any tablet (even if they call it CLAMP block) will deal with that kind of pain! CryCry LOLLOLLOLLOL

My 2cw
[/quote']

Confusing, but will try it??

Ok I tell you what...I'll be the crash test dummy(hopefully not literally). this weekend I'm doin the west coast express and I'll take the usn cramp block as recommended and turn myself inside out over the 80km...and if I get cramp I'll never take it again. I've bought it so I may as well experiment with it hey. Hate having to remember to take tablets on the bike tho. Between drinking and eatin I've got enuf to remember...us cyclists just wanna cycle!

I also have cramp problems lately, someone actually recommended putting some Glutamine in my energy drink.  I use it for weight training afterwards in a protein shake.  Anybody tried this?

What it can do

With an increase in levels of glutamine, muscle catabolism is slowed down during periods of intense physical activity or stress

Glutamine can possibly aid in building a damaged or lowered immune system

What it cannot do

Glutamine has no effect on exercise performance or body composition during periods of physical exercise

Glutamine does not build muscle mass

The only additional dimension to this discussion can be over training. I never experienced any cramps in the last 6 years and take magnesium pills everyday. But in May I cramped so bad that I had to get off the bike. Realised later I was suffering from over training and muscle fatigue.

Maybe an additional evaluation criteria can be the amount that you sweat and racing conditions i.e. do you cramp during any ride or predominantly during races with high day time temperatures. Perhaps also how does the time periods (time of day) of your training differ from your race time?

Our cricketers are best example of under conditioning.