maxxis, stan's ammonia sealant and the evil bubble

mokganjetsi

The Ammonia found in Stan's is dissolved ammonia in water, called Ammonium Hydroxide.

I took the following from Wiki:

Household ammonia is dilute ammonium hydroxide, which is also an ingredient of numerous other cleaning agents.[Lefty Adds: its used in these products due to it's oxidising nature

Prepare paintwork for newly painting an already painted surface by cleaning the painted surface with household ammonia or ammonium hydroxide.

In industry, ammonium hydroxide is used as a precursor to some alkyl amines, although anhydrous ammonia is usually preferred. Hexamethylenetetramine forms readily from aqueous ammonia and formaldehyde. Ethylenediamine forms from 1,2-dichloroethane and aqueous ammonia.[2]

Ammonium hydroxide is used in the meat packing industry. Some companies add ammonium hydroxide to their beef.

The issue with this stuff is that in saturated solutions, when the temperature rises, the Ammonia disassociates form the water releasing ammonia gas. This can cause the bursting bubble effect in the tyre if the ammonium hydroxide solution has been transported into the tyre casing with the sealant.

Mtb Tyres do get warm, not F1 tyre warm but warm enough to disassociate Ammonia from the solution.

Yes Ammonium hydroxide is a preservative. Ammonia on the other hand is a refrigerant and highly corrosive (oxidising reactions). Since tyres have numerous materials as filler for the rubber, there are reactions taking place with the ammonia that also result in bubbles and failure.

Even the rubber seals on tubeless valve stems are not immune to the effects of ammonium hydroxide.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ammonium hydroxide is used in the meat packing industry. Some companies add ammonium hydroxide to their beef.

No comment necessary.

The issue with this stuff is that in saturated solutions' date=' when the temperature rises, the Ammonia disassociates form the water releasing ammonia gas. This can cause the bursting bubble effect in the tyre if the ammonium hydroxide solution has been transported into the tyre casing with the sealant.

Mtb Tyres do get warm, not F1 tyre warm but warm enough to disassociate Ammonia from the solution.

[/quote']

Yes, but at pressures slightly above atmospheric the ammonia gas would not be released.  I'll also argue that the entry point from the inside of the tyre will remain open so that any gas that does disassociate, goes back into the tyre. But, it is such a soup of uncertainties in there that I won't put my head on a block for that one.

well we must remember that the disassociation contributong factors are temperature and pressure. Inside a tyre the pressure is 2 atmospheres which adds temperature.

This would have to be measured hence I won;t be placing my pecker anywhere either. Just wanted to highlight that there is enough energy around to create chemical reactions that would not normally happen at STP.

Clearly there is a common thread here - maxxis tyres and stans, they just dont go?? I have used stans for at least 4 years on Hutchinson, Panaracer and Kenda and have yet to experience this problem. Stans is good value for money relative to other products on the market market and holds up well. Any comment from stans or dont they want to enter the fray?

Also Kenda but this is a manufacturing fault....

I dare not mention the Sealant lol....

Oh this was on its 1st ride out so not the Sealant!!!!

20091104_071620_P1020841.jpg

Still confused and head spinning......I have used Stans with MAXXIS CROSSMARK LUST for more than a year...absolutely no problems..... smiley29.gif

Still confused and head spinning......I have used Stans with MAXXIS CROSSMARK LUST for more than a year...absolutely no problems..... smiley29.gif

JA but try inflate it with CO2 then ....

?

JA but try inflate it with CO2 then?....

?

?

?

?

Oh, is that then why I've had no problemmo....me and my hand pump...lucky me!! smiley36.gif smiley36.gif smiley36.gif smiley2.gif smiley2.gif. And I do ride with a CO2 bomb thingie, but I have never had use for it smiley9.gif smiley9.gif Gerhardc2009-11-04 07:41:30

Look what came out of my front tyre... i was just topping up with Stan's and then this happened??20091104_073657_rubber.jpg

That is not that strange...my mate explained that it is the latex that's hardening inside the tyre over time....jeesh you rode quite a while before topping up for it to become soooooo big!!!! smiley4.gif smiley36.gif smiley36.gif

Now you see what happens after 3 months its drys up and forms balls....

Hence USE OKO boys....

I think i have "over killed" topping it up.... but i had a bad expierance with the back tire , got a cut on the tread and the Stan's just just sprayed all over the place.... even when fitting the tube i had to scoop out the remaining Stan's in the tire... got home put new Stan's in and it sealed the tire perfect Confused 

you should see what happens to Stans when you use a CO2 bomb

Please advise what happens to Stan with CO2 Bomb' date=' been trying to figure this out since i saw the warning on the Stans packaging.

So far my Stans / CO2 combo sems to be working fine, allthough I have not had a hole in the tire yet, but it sealed the bead area just fine?

[/quote']

It's not that drastic, but if you expose Stans (for example) to a CO2 atmosphere, you get a gradual change of pH as the CO2 is absorbed by the water.  So, over time, the rubber coagulates and the latex is no longer.  So it stops working, and you have to refill.  This will not affect the tyre, just the life of the sealant inside the tyre.  So if you are out riding, and get a puncture, and use a CO2 bomb to re-inflate, you are probably shortening the lifetime of the Stans.  I can't give exact numbers, but in the screening experiments we did it looks like about a 50% reduction when we compare CO2 to "normal" air.

i did not use CO2 bombs on the front tire , but in the back tire when i got the cut , because i was lazy..... but it had an immediate effect it seems to me??

Rad what is this OKO ?