maxxis, stan's ammonia sealant and the evil bubble

mokganjetsi

I have been using OKO for a couple of months. I have the Bonti Tubeless rims and strips, but use std tyres not UST.

I found the OKO to be of too thick a consistancy to properly get the side walls airtight (By sealing the tiny air leaching holes in the std tyre sidewalls) ... I used Stans sealant before and found this to work better as an overall product. It also seemed to last much longer thatn the OKO.

I would like to give OKO another chance ... just not yet. I will need to buy some Stans in the new week to get my tyres sealed up properly.

What the OKO does do well though is seal up largish holes.

Hairy

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not convinced that delaminating is caused by amonia, latex or liquid sealants.

I counted the other day. I've had 39 tyres the last 3 years alone. I've been riding my own diy tubeless with tape since 2005... I've used anything from pure patex to stans to water based sealants.

I've never had a delamination problem. 

I still have about 20 of those tyres in my garage... some were only used for a few races...

Excellent posts these!!!Clap

Makes for great reading...

OKO - great stuff!! I dilute with a (very) little bit of water, just to make it go round the entire inside surface

CO2 bombs - useful on the trail!!  Why not, when back home deflate your repaired tube and re-inflate with normal floor pump...then CO2's effect will be neutralised!

The rapid freezing of the Stans when used with CO2 bomb....not much can be done about that - it's physics....try to get the sealant at the bottom of the wheel and inflate with valve at the top.

CO2 is also acid when dissolved in water..therefore maybe neatralising the Ammonia in Stans - resulting in added coagulation and rubber ball formation of the latex inside tube...

I'm voting for the delamination being a result of bad manufacturing...especially on Maxxi's Crossmarks. Pity because they seem to be quite lekka tyres...

I found the OKO to be of too thick a consistancy to properly get the side walls airtight (By sealing the tiny air leaching holes in the std tyre sidewalls) ... I used Stans sealant before and found this to work better as an overall product. It also seemed to last much longer thatn the OKO. 

Hairy

Found the same on Mountain Kings side walls(non UST), hence the move to a mix of OKO and Stans/Joe's.  OKO for the bigger holes and the rest for the thorns.  100% success rate to date.

There lies the problem you guys are running NON UST tyres hence the leaking air....

Im yet to not be able to seal a tyre with OKO maybe Im just more patient with letting the thicker liquid move around slower I dont know....

I've never managed to seal a non ust tyre with oko. Its too viscous.

Joes or Stan's and Bontrager seem to perform this function best

I've never managed to seal a non ust tyre with oko. Its too viscous.

Joes or Stan's and Bontrager seem to perform this function best

Ok next person who is trying a Ghetto Conversion speak to me lets play....

There lies the problem you guys are running NON UST tyres hence the leaking air....

Im yet to not be able to seal a tyre with OKO maybe Im just more patient with letting the thicker liquid move around slower I dont know....

Never had leaking issues with STD tyres and Stans before. And thankfully I have also never had the dreaded tyre blister either ... I have tried a decent cross range of tyres.

H

well well well - on a day like this i'm so thankful nobody has my real name......

after wasting yet another tyre this weekend due to the dreaded bubble, i realised i must have been misinformed as to the cause of it (by a far more experienced bike technician in my defense). i discovered that mounting my bike on my thule tow-bar-fitted bike rack causes the front wheel to hang directly in line with the exhaust outlet....... and with exhaust gasses being very hot - the blistered tyre results. talk about school fees!

anyways, feeling like a poepol for implicating stan's and maxxis in this misfurtune

btw, if i mount my bike with the rear tyre on the exhaust side, the shape of the frame causes the rear tyre to be above and out-of-line with the exhaust and hence no problems.

i discovered that mounting my bike on my thule tow-bar-fitted bike rack causes the front wheel to hang directly in line with the exhaust outlet....... and with exhaust gasses being very hot

I actually can't say anything without it sounding cruel. smiley36.gif

I doubt you are the first and I am sure there will be many more......

Count me in that group - just the once though smiley9.gif

well well well - on a day like this i'm so thankful nobody has my real name......

after wasting yet another tyre this weekend due to the dreaded bubble' date=' i realised i must have been misinformed as to the cause of it (by a far more experienced bike technician in my defense). i discovered that mounting my bike on my thule tow-bar-fitted bike rack causes the front wheel to hang directly in line with the exhaust outlet....... and with exhaust gasses being very hot - the blistered tyre results. talk about school fees!

anyways, feeling like a poepol for implicating stan's and maxxis in this misfurtune

btw, if i mount my bike with the rear tyre on the exhaust side, the shape of the frame causes the rear tyre to be above and out-of-line with the exhaust and hence no problems.
[/quote']

Well i figured that thiswould be the first hing you  would have checked....

next time I make no assumptions and will start at the very beginning LOLLOL

after wasting yet another tyre this weekend due to the dreaded bubble' date=' i realised i must have been misinformed as to the cause of it (by a far more experienced bike technician in my defense). i discovered that mounting my bike on my thule tow-bar-fitted bike rack causes the front wheel to hang directly in line with the exhaust outlet....... and with exhaust gasses being very hot - the blistered tyre results. talk about school fees!

[/quote']

Well tickle me pink and slap me silly!!!

Can U believe that? Thanks for coming clean.... It can happen in the best of familiesWink

lesson learned...