what energy drink do you use?

Zula

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Noche' date=' I've posted about this before, and in doing so I'm trying to save you some money. Personally, for training Game will sort you. Its about R40 a tin and for most of your training needs will do the job, same as its done for thousands and thousands of runners for years and years. The other stuff is too expensive to use on your ordinary training ride, unless its shortish ride and you use water.

Post ride- longish ones- I use FiT chocolate Duratrain, with an extra helping of Milo, half water half milk, slightly chilled to the point of ice forming. Now this stuff is so delicious it makes the pain worthwhile!

Then FiT for the occasional long training rides- its not cloyingly sweet, and it will satisfy your need to spend some money on expensive stuff.

And I have in interest in these products because I work for a sugar factory and some of my sugar probably ends up in these products.Big%20smile 
[/quote']

Just a question. Isn't Duratrain for recovery?

I think Carbotrain would be more appropriate for your long rides. On the website the show how to mix it for very long and longer rides.

Yep. FiT Duratrain is for recovery (as I said, post-ride), Carbotrain is for training, and Carbo Supreme is for racing.

Funny story- for the Amashova I took down my tub of Carbo Supreme for the race, got to Durban opened the tub and found I had brought with me the tub I had used to store a load of pecan nuts.Embarrassed So I had to prep my race bottles with Game instead.

And my result for the Shova? A PB by more than 20 minutes (3:10)- go figure!

seems the fitter you ger, the less you need.  500mills of carbomax is fine for a sub 3.  Cheaper to get fitter.

• 2 months later...

I just used usn cytopower for a race this and for the first 4 and a half laps, i was feeling leka but tpwards the end the last 2 and a half laps, i cramped. Iv'e never cramped to badly in my lifetime and i dont usually cramp that much.

Rather than the Coco pops try a quality Muesli instead. Some like the ones I use from Woolies have honey coated grain which is far better than highly processed sugar. They also have different raw nuts which help with the protein intake. Also fat free youghurt works very well as a substitute for milk.

I love to ride with 50% coke and 50% water and in my second bottle energade.

Safe cycle

coke? Confused only problem is people are likely to mistake you for Tom Boonen...

The ding is so... Cytomax is a colored thing, we suip it cause its kwaai. And its kwaai cause we had to put the ding op buget opie kaartji.

It goes with the sidi's and the 'special' bikes...

Exercise physiologist Lynne Kammer of the University of Texas and her team studied 12 trained cyclists -eight male and four female. In contrast to many sports nutrition studies' date=' however, the exercise protocol was designed to reflect a typical exercise session. After a warm-up period, the subjects cycled for two hours at a comfortable work rate, rather than the more frequently seen test-to-exhaustion."Our goal was to compare whole grain cereal plus milk?which are ordinary foods?and sports drinks, after moderate exercise," said Kammer. "We wanted to understand their relative effects on glycogen repletion and muscle protein synthesis for the average individual. We found that glycogen repletion, or the replenishment of immediate muscle fuel, was just as good after whole grain cereal consumption and that some aspects of protein synthesis were actually better"."Cereal and non-fat milk are a less expensive option than sports drinks. The milk provides a source of easily digestible and high quality protein, which can promote protein synthesis and training adaptations, making this an attractive recovery option for those who refuel at home".The researchers concluded that, for amateur athletes and moderately physically active individuals who are trying to keep in shape, popping into the kitchen for a quick bowl of whole-grain cereal with a splash of skimmed milk may be a smarter move than investing in a high-priced sports drink.[/quote']

AMEN! Real food is the way to go, as unprocessed as possible.

As for energy drinks; the key is to stay hydrated and maintain your bodies mineral balance, as soon as that goes you start to lose the ability to metabolize glycogen . Ideal energy drink should contain no more than 6-8% carbs for it to be absorbed as easily as water and contain essential electrolytes. We import a product called ZYM; no carbs pure electrolytes; I've been using it for the last 3 years along with bars and occasionaly gels when running and have never hit the wall or cramped since. But as the saying goes find what works for you, just don't by into all the unverified claims that are put out there by many of the big nutrition companies.