Which Front De-Railer - MTB??

Spearo

I have finally ordered my new Zaskar Team frame smiley4.gifto go with my Rear XT derailer (Can't afford the fancy XTR stuff like BigBen, besides seen two broken RD XTR's now). After the Argus decided I would also need to change the Front DR since it is rattling much better nowsmiley7.gif (after setting it just before the race), it is an LX.

Thought it would be a quick easy order and done, however, there are many types of XT and not sure which one to go for. It would be for the GT Zaskar Team frame.smiley5.gif

Does anyone have an idea?

Any ideas for handle bars, gear shifters and brake levers, and V-Brake....So many types, not sure which to go with.

My MTB buddies are all going for SRAM. First one guy went for it, then another, now the whole crowd! They say it is more reliable, performs better and costs less.

Ok, then can you mix SRAM FDR with Shim RDR, do you need to have different shifters etc. for SRAM. Got the XT RDR for a good price, that's why I got it. Have heard SRAM RDR is good as long as you get top of the range, but heard nothing about the FDR.

Your buddies must be smoking their socks !smileys/smiley5.gif . Mixing SRAM with Shimano smileys/smiley11.gif , why mess with a good combination . The SRAM FRD has not been around for to long , you usually get SRAM with a LX/XT FRD . The big diffirence between the LX/XT/XTR/Sram FRD are in the price and weight , they all work the same . Smooth changing on the front get's determent by the chainrings mostly .

I have SRAM on my Specialized FSR (X9 shifters, X7 RD and LX FD), I am very very happy with this combination. Great shifting, very predictable and little maintenance!

On my Fuji I am now running that 'upside down - back to front' XTR rapid rise RD and still make the wrong shift now and then but it's getting better. I have XT trigger shifters with an SRAM FD and the FD shifts very nicely, better than the LX I had on there!

Some issues to think about. You can't use the SRAM FD on all bikes as it is top swing and so some FS frames cause problems with mounting (hence the LX on my Specialized FSR FS). If you want to use the XTR RD then you must use the SRAM 'Rocket' shifters and not X series. This is because the X series and it's accompanying RD's have a 1:1 shift actuating ratio whilst Shimano has a 2:1 ratio.

Hope that helps a bit!

My son's birthday is coming up and he is going to the MTB XC nationals in Pietermaritzburg next weekend so I will be getting him some upgrades for his bike (FOX Terralogic Fork and Avid Juicy 5 hydraulic discs, yes the ones with the 'wavy' rotor!) this in turn means upgrades for me as I will get his hand me downs i.e. Magura Julie hydraulic discs for the Specialized, the one with the 210mm front rotor and the Rock Shox Tora fork he is taking off will replace my old Manitou elite on the Fuji which will also now get the Avid BB5 mechanical discs from the Specialized!

And just because I can I will replace the 'X-Fusion' coil over unadjustable shock on the Specialized with a FOX Float R with propedal !

Whooohoooo can't wait, should all take place by the weekend all things being equal!

Hey, Spearo, I fitted an SRAM X-9 (but with the appropriate shifters) rear some time back and I cannot see myself ever going back to Shimano. I've had an LX front derailleur all along though and will probably also replace this with SRAM. Although, having said that, the front shifting is not nearly as critical as the rear and they do tend to last much longer, so I wouldn't stress toooo much over it.

I just think their stuff is engineered beautifully and is superior. In fact the only Shimano stuff on my ageing mtb are my pedals and front der.

Big Ben, wish I had a dad like you! Are you riding in the Nationals? I'm in Vets B.