Cramps discussion

SeaBee

Very interesting discussion(s) on cramps last night on SuperCycling with Dr Swart.

Some observations from my side:

I definately agree with the research done on this. It's not hidration/nutrition/pills that stops cramps - it's the state of the muscle. I used to cramp badly and easily despite being hydrated, taking anti-cramp pills, the works. As my training has improved, my cramping decreased. On top of that I no longer take anti-cramping pills.

I have felt the initial twinges of cramps on a couple of training rides of late, but that was when trying to do high-cadence work for a continuous time - something I am not used to doing (and obviously working on). In those unfamiliar stressed situations I get calve cramps - or the beginning of it. Apart from that, nothing in ages - touch wood!

Table is open for discussion - what's your findings?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I have to be honest and admit it, my worst cramping moments are when I don't have the required training done ahead of the aspirations in the race I overload in.

I have to agree with you SeeBee - i used to cramp a bit, especially during longer races where the muscles are not used to the continous expansions / contractions but since i have increased mileage / training i dont suffer from cramping anymore.. I have found that regular stretching also helps to prevent cramping..

One question: if you cramp during a race, what is the best thing to do??? A physio told me that the best remedy is to ice the affected area, but this is not feasible during a race..

The best thing to do while still riding is pour water over the affected area drop down a few gears and spin for a couple of minutes. After about 10 minutes or so I find I can usually pick up a couple of gears and then suffer to the end

cramped on day one for the first time in years at this years to hell and back.

Spin it out. this is the unfittests I have done the ride as well

one theory is that cramps are caused by tetanus which is a constant firing of the muscles from a nerve stimulus. As a result, the best prevention and "cure" is stretching the afflicted muscle

Still cramp after prolonged hard riding - usually at a pace not used to, or too familiar with. Always the same spot in the left hammy. Even using crampstop etc. After listening to Dr J last night, I now know why it doesnt work.

Happened recently in Telkom @ 86km's, went away quick though, and I was fine up Hekpoort - unfortunately on my own, cause bunch dropped me when I tried to stretch and recoverEmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassed

water works well, but find it must be very cold to really work.

news year's resolution - start stretching!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Same problem with the intensity. Aspirations versus training....Confused

When I cramped hammies and quads on the Shova, a very kind lady gave them a good rub. But not like our usual physio students who go in too hard. Finished strongly on that leg, while the other was a bit shaky.

Bottom line, race like you train, and train like you race and cramps should not feature.

Regular sports massge is a great way to get the extra stretching in.

Agreed - stop, get off, give it a good stretch (and apply something cool if you have something handy) and then go on. You'll loose more time "soldiering on" than with the stop.

The way not to do it: 2 years ago, Td Stellenbosch on a wet day... Crampstop tabs dissolved in my pockets because of spray from road. (Kiepie the village idiot always kept it in his middle pocket.) Started cramping badly in calves at 60k's, soldiered on trying to ride around the problem. My knees was so eff-ed that I could not unclip at the end of the ride - and walked like Frankenstein for 3 days after. 

Iv got the triple challenge this weekend in KZN ( 20km run, 58Km mtb then a 22Km canoe) and I just know im gonna cramp as I get in the boat. It happens to me all the time in the build up races. I have come up with my own conclusion as why this happens now. After 4 plus hours of using your legs then jumping in the boat to use your shoulders/arms, your lower body starts to "relax" and sort of "recover". Add the splashing of the cold water to the mix and the cramp hits hard.

Im thinking about these cramp stop pills but now im confused? Anyone got some sort of useful advice?

Cramp stop actually helps to cramp more I've tried them and cramp even more .This year on the Crater Cruise I started to cramp badly in the muscles in my upper leg from about 65 km I took a Norflex tablet and it seemed to work for a while But I couldnt walk properly for a few days felt if I ran the Comrades.

Cramp stop actually helps to cramp more I've tried them and cramp even more .This year on the Crater Cruise I started to cramp badly in the muscles in my upper leg from about 65 km I took a Norflex tablet and it seemed to work for a while But I couldnt walk properly for a few days felt if I ran the Comrades.

Norflex tablet - what is that?

Painkiller?

As far as i know Norflex is an anti inflamatory....

Its for muscular pain. Checked it this morning. Must stop it Cry Has anti inflamatory