Which Headlight to buy

WGoosen

Please advise on which headlight/ and or front light for mightriding to buy. i would like buy a good product with relation to strength and batterly life

Headlight in combination with a bar mounted light is very nice for XC and road (if your riding road after dark or early mornings)

Best head light is Petzl Tika XP - long bat life and very good light

A cheapish good bar lite is the Sigma Karma light - small and enough for XC

i'm not doing downhill single track stuff at night so works for me. Can also be used on road bike - but with 2 or more red rear lights - one helmet- one back and one on seatpost - extra safe

Do your homework and make your own comparisons, but you can't go wrong with the Magicshine bike light.

Its affordable (R1 400)

Very bright (+/- 700 Lumens)

Lightweight (650g)

And has excellent battery runtimes (3hrs on high mode & 5 hrs on low).

It mounts directly onto your handlebars but also includes a helmet mount bracket, so you can run it in either setup.

For the ultimate combination, run one on the bars, and one on the helmet.

More info here: www.magiclight.co.za

bradjackson2009-11-17 07:11:45

Please advise on which headlight/ and or front light for mightriding to buy. i would like buy a good product with relation to strength and batterly life

[/quote']

Goosen, stop looking around and buy the Magiclight from Brad!

I just recieved mine and the light is amazing - really. no headlight/front light combo will come close

Busy palying around with the light in the office and you can see the magiclight against a wall 10-15 meters away under office lighting - crazy!

Can't wait to go and ride with them tommorow . . .

Are you riding at Delta Park? - If so i will c u there tonight and check it out WGoosen2009-11-18 06:55:32

Got  my magiclight today - AWESOME thanks for the advice I am really happy - from all the lights I saw this is the best

• 7 months later...

I have a set of Ay-Up lights.

I have the V4 adventure kit which comes with 2 lights & 3 battrys. I've been cycling for 20+ years and these are by far the best lights I've ever had. In 2008 I did the Transbaviaans with a set of "Brighter-lights". And Last year with the Ay-Ups.

I can honestly say the Ay-Ups are the best lights on the market.

At 70g you can't even feel it on your helmet and in the night training rides they are always the brightest lights in the group.

Of all the lights I've ever had they also have the most sturdy mount. Do not move at all even in the worst conditions.

The charge time is also relatively quick (about 3hrs)

I comfortable get 9hrs on full beam (they only have one setting - no dim)

I ordered mine directly from Australia and got them in 8 days.

I am in the process of getting a second set for my daughter.

• 2 weeks later...

But you can get 3 magic lights for half an AYUP.

Most riders are using Magicshine (good for them) but i use an iBlaast

Magicshine for bike, ledlenser for headlight.

DUE SOUTH have the ledlenser H7R for R499. bought one this morning... seems to be pretty cool. will test it 2morrow morning when its still pitch black

DUE SOUTH have the ledlenser H7R for R499. bought one this morning... seems to be pretty cool. will test it 2morrow morning when its still pitch black

Use my ledlenser's for night hikes/mountain climbing. price/performance, I haven't seen better.

Got  my magiclight today - AWESOME thanks for the advice I am really happy - from all the lights I saw this is the best

Glad you like it. If the battery gives problems after the 3 month guaranty period, send it to me. I'll rebuild it with reliable electronics. If you're looking for longer burntime, I have Lithium-Polymer batteries that will double your high beam burn time for only R700-00.

post-3074-043026800 1280242111.gif

Use my ledlenser's for night hikes/mountain climbing. price/performance, I haven't seen better.

Agreed - half the price of the equivalent Petzl and works like a charm. Go Ledlenser!

I have a set of Ay-Up lights.

I have the V4 adventure kit which comes with 2 lights & 3 battrys. I've been cycling for 20+ years and these are by far the best lights I've ever had. In 2008 I did the Transbaviaans with a set of "Brighter-lights". And Last year with the Ay-Ups.

I can honestly say the Ay-Ups are the best lights on the market.

At 70g you can't even feel it on your helmet and in the night training rides they are always the brightest lights in the group.

Of all the lights I've ever had they also have the most sturdy mount. Do not move at all even in the worst conditions.

The charge time is also relatively quick (about 3hrs)

I comfortable get 9hrs on full beam (they only have one setting - no dim)

I ordered mine directly from Australia and got them in 8 days.

I am in the process of getting a second set for my daughter.

But you can get 3 magic lights for half an AYUP.

Most riders are using Magicshine (good for them) but i use an iBlaast

Hi Guys

Chappies - I also have a set of AYUP, by far the best value for money, awsome mounts, well designed they thought of everything you need in one kit. If you are looking for a seond set, try www.easygis.co.za , i see that they now sell them in South Africa as one of AYUP registered dealers. It works out cheaper to buy from them locally than from Australia now.

Nobody - If you take a look at www.easygis.co.za you will see that the prices have now come down and are very competitive, 2 x Magiclights at R1499 = R3000, 1 x AYUP V4 at R3999, more mounts, 6hrs + more battery time, well designed and a very important 5 year warranty.

Anyway thats just my view, used them both and if you can afford it AYUP is the way to go.

Otherwise Magicshine is well worth it.

I have a tikka XP, used it as a safety 'blinking' before when going on late training rides, but you'll need a strong bar mount light if you want to use that as well for looking around. I found it too weak to use on its own, and that was just riding home in the street with street lights.

If you have a high power tactical type light, look at one of these mounts from fenix, about R250 and you can use about any light.

untitled.bmp