Advice on garmin?

crasher

I would like to be able to plot my MTB rides and print them out

I would like to be able to print a route profile for the same ride

I want to see altitude/descent and ascent of my ride

I want all the standard features on my normaal computer

I have heart rate monitor but if I could have data on heartrate compared against profile of ride that would be nice

Basically I want to get home load this on my pc so I can keep records of my rides and compare them over time

If this can be user friendly to upload print etc that would be a bonus.

What is my best option to give me this data any advice would be appreciated

PS I dont have unlimited budget so should I say cost effective would also be nice

You can plot your rides

you can print out the profiles

it gives you altitude/accent/decent

you can compare heartrate/speed/cadence/profile

I am not sure what your question is here, but you can use Training Center, MapSource and SportTracks to do all you require and much more. You can even use google maps if you like. Transfer data from one user to another, exchange maps ect.

SportTracks is free to download, do that so long and play around with it, you can enter data manually until you have a downloadable unit.

Agreed with Tankman, you get all these features. If you want cadence and HR, don't go for the 205 or 605 (depending on whether you go for the older or newer models).

I use all the software he mentioned, plus there's also (web-based) Garmin Connect, which is still improving, but at least an off-site store for data. And eval-ing CycliStats.

If you're asking about Edge models rater than software - like I said 205 and 605 don't do HR and cadence, but everything else. 305 and 705 includes HR and cadence (some packages have them as optional extras.

Edge 500 has been announced - not 100% sure of prices, availability and features.

Tankman what are you using?

to my frustration the edge 305 (unit no 4)

before you make up your mind on which unit, do a search on garmin edge 305 sucks, then you'll now!

i find SportTracks much better than Training Center, more userfriendly, much more customizable!

From what i've read the edge 500 has the same features as 305, but with power meter compatability. If you dont need power meter or need to have detail mapping (705) then a 305 would do.

Plotting your ride will be fun for the first couple of rides, then you'll find the poor battery life a ballache. Rather get a Polar!

Tankman what are you using?

to my frustration the edge 305 (unit no 4)

before you make up your mind on which unit' date=' do a search on garmin edge 305 sucks, then you'll now!

i find SportTracks much better than Training Center, more userfriendly, much more customizable! [/quote']

touch wood i am also on the edge 305 , had download problems and are now using sport tracks. my friend is using a polar and can do miracles with the softeware...... AngryCry

Plotting your ride will be fun for the first couple of rides' date=' then you'll find the poor battery life a ballache. Rather get a Polar![/quote']

I've been plotting routes on my Garmin for 4 yearsw now and am

still having fun!

I presume you only have a Polar (Shame... LOL)...

Avoid the 305.

The Garmin is really cool as it gives you mapping, profile and lots

of other stuff while you are riding. You really don't need any of it

to be honest, but it is fun...

Battery life on the 305 is short and I found it a problem for full

day rides (8+ hours). The 705 has twice the battery life and I've

never had a problem.

I also use my 705 on my motorbike as it navigates, too...

Plotting your ride will be fun for the first couple of rides' date=' then you'll find the poor battery life a ballache. Rather get a Polar![/quote']

That is exactly what I was thinking. 

I will be playing around a bit with sportstracks and see what it gan do.

The older 305 units have got a history of bad battery connection cutting out but i heard this does not occur on newer models, as far battery life goes BigBen got over 10 hours with my 305 on the Sani2C non stop with HR and cadence switched off.

The older 305 units have got a history of bad battery connection cutting out but i heard?this does not occur on?newer models' date=' as far battery life goes BigBen got over 10 hours with my 305 on the Sani2C non stop?with HR and cadence switched off. [/quote']

yea battery life has improved, originally a software problem, software warned of low battery long before battery died.

But the switching off problems not, my last unit (9months old) still switched off, and i was told that the newer units should not do that... man i have been through all the growing pains of this unit... smiley7.gif

polar has its own unique problems too.

I have used both, now using garmin 305 only. downloaded the patch, and the switching off problems have gone away for now. I hope it keeps working...