Barloworld: On Supercycling

Orbeadc

Smile

Did you guys watch supercycling last night they showed a insert on the Barloworld cycling team from inception till the withdrawal?

It was excellent!!!!!!! Some great memories.  I think they did a great thing for SA cycling and of course their brand. Robbie's TdF win probably being the greatest. 

If I had an ideal ending for the team it would have been the whole team participating in the 2009 94.7 and absolutely dominating the race (and they would have).

But anyway well done Barloworld, great job.

ClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClap

Jip was great to see how they climbed the laddr intrnationaly in 7 years. Some good & bad memories. Just do not know how/what will keep SA riders commited to do their best for a spot in one of the international teams ie: Daryl, John Lee, Robbie

Them wining two stages of the TDF and the Polka dot jersey in one year - you realise now what a brilliant accomplishment it was.

Barloworld did a lot for SA cycling and deserve big acolades for that, they also gave exposure to many cyclists and help put them on the world map.

I know all good things must come to an end, but it still feels as if Barloworld dropped cycling and should they really be thanked for that?

He spoke about the massive return they got and the huge publicity, so why withdraw? 

Lets hope that MTN takes over from Barloworld and puts an SA team back into the TdF.

Jip was great to see how they climbed the laddr intrnationaly in 7 years. Some good & bad memories. Just do not know how/what will keep SA riders commited to do their best for a spot in one of the international teams ie: Daryl' date=' John Lee, Robbie[/quote']

Daryl - Radioshack

John Lee - Sky

Hunter - Garmin (shot #7....)

(ps, good move by Hunter... Reckon we'll see the best of him under JV's instruction...)

TNT12009-11-25 04:46:36

What I meant to say, is SA pro's shouldn't need an SA team to make it. Hunter didn't. If you are a good rider, and think you can go and do.

(lets be honest, Cox, Kannemeyer and others went to Europe, got noticed, and were offered rides on other teams before signing with TBL)

Hunter to Garmin Slipstream.

The saddest part was the interview with Ryan after winning SA s in Pretoria. What a really tradgic loss to cycling in South Africa.

TNT1, hunter is going to Garmin. He will have to work for his win as he is there to lead out their other sprinter.

Guest colonel

The team was up and down when Robertson managed it with no real structure and it got only worse for SA Pros when Corti took over. His reputation as dirty is unreal and it showed with the positives at the TDF also closed the many doors for SA Pros to get onto the team as he wasnt interested in SA talent as it became a mainly Italian team.

Pity thou it couldve done huge for SA cycling.

Guest colonel

(lets be honest' date=' Cox, Kannemeyer and others went to Europe, got noticed, and were offered rides on other teams before signing with TBL)
[/quote']

Well said and very true.

What I got from the show was that Barloworld was in it for the return, they have maxed their return and extended their strategy from 5 to 7 years in the sport.

While the spin offs exceeded their expectations, they couldn't let sentimental or emotional reasoning cloud the business decision.

Lets hope that another SA team is willing to go this route and I was impressed with Barloworld for the open invitation for other teams to chat to them about the process of becoming a successful pro continental team.

Barloworld is not dropping SA cycling if you listened, they only stop to sponsor a pro team still in the cycling scene, toyota academy will still get support from Barloworld

Barloworld is not dropping SA cycling if you listened' date='

[/quote']

I didn't listen... I couldn't.... My screen isn't connected to any broadcast service. Sorry.

O' date=' and they will still bring the TDF to our screens[/quote']

Not mine... I stream off the web...Wink