MTB novice

Hi there everyone,

I recently started mountain biking...ok!!! let me be honest...this was my 1st time on a bike...I've only done a few short and medium routes thus far...

what would the ideal training program be to get fit and comfortable on my bike.

I ride a kona blast...

thanks

Yup, gotta go with that pearl of wisdom!

Where do you stay in WC? Find a local bike shop that deals with real MTBs and ask them to help you hook up with some local riders

Your body has to adapt to the physical jerks, and that takes time! In general, riding 2X/week will only help you to maintain your fitness level. When doing 3X/week you start gaining fitness. There's a corrolation between time and physical impact, eg. lets say 60 min equites to 50%impact on fitness, it doesn't mean 120 min = 100%! Optimum time to start with per session is +- 40-60 min. Also important, impact starts deminishing the day after training session, to that extend that after +-36 hours you've lost nearly everything. Bottom line, 1) start by doing 40-60 min at a comfortable pace 3x/week, spread over the whole week. Soon you will find it very easy, then you 2) start going an extra day until you can do 5days/week (now you've settled on quantity). 3)When doing 5days/week comfortably you start going a bit faster 2x/week (you start working on quality) until you can do this for each of the 5 days. 4) Next step, go 1 day further than the others.

Imperative, write everything down in a log book (Excel works fine!).

Set yourself a target, and more important, if you don't enjoy it, don't do it!