New and interessted

wentzew

Hi guys,

I have been directed here by a colleague and am newly registered as you can see by post count.

I'm looking for some advice on which hardtail MTB I should be looking for?

The plan is to buy something 2nd hand for now and see if I like MTB'ing.

I need something that will support a big oke like me packing 120Kgs of boep.

I'm looking at the R6-R7K price range, and don't want a hard pressing salesmen to advise me.

Any advice out there please?

Many thanks

I can't advise you on which MTB to buy but will ask is 6-7K for the bike only?

Have you also considered that you need kit, helmet, bibs, shirt, shoes, pedals and so on. Add in at least another 3K here, so maybe scale down on the bike a bit.

Also personally I think 7k is a bit much to be spending on something you are not sure you are going to enjoy. I would rather look at a low range MTB for about 3.5K try the sport for a bit and then move onto bigger things if you enjoy it.

just look at the biggest bang for your buck. look at something with at least a deore/slx/xt mix, decent air shock, good solid wheels. 

I can't advise you on which MTB to buy but will ask is 6-7K for the bike only?

Have you also considered that you need kit' date=' helmet, bibs, shirt, shoes, pedals and so on. Add in at least another 3K here, so maybe scale down on the bike a bit.

Also personally I think 7k is a bit much to be spending on something you are not sure you are going to enjoy. I would rather look at a low range MTB for about 3.5K try the sport for a bit and then move onto bigger things if you enjoy it.[/quote']

don't need 3 k for gear.

you can cycled with old running shoes, t-shirt, flat pedals. you need a good helmet and some cycling shorts. the cheaper capestorm cycling shorts will do - you can upgrade to all the fancy things once you go over <whatever goal you set yourself> .... e.g. once you managed 100 kays in 1 week for the first time, or after your first visit to teal place, or after your next bonus - or as soon as the bug bit you! (which it will)

Thanks for the advice so far.

Been looking around for 2nd hand and not really finding a lot out there.

Went to a Cycle shop yesterday and they have the following:

New for R8K I have been

shown this one:

http://www2.giant-bicycles.com/en-GB/bikes/model/talon.1/4901/39104/

And for R9K this

one:

http://www.orbea.com/en/bicis/modelos/satellite/ficha_tecnica/

Then there?s also

a cheaper Giant for R6K with a Preload shock,Deore Gears, and non-hydraulic

Heinz Brakes. 

I'm Still looking around before I make a purchase though.

I would say R1500 - R200o for gear. But for a start maybe not necessary to buy dedicated cycling gear.

Anyway. R6-R7k can buy you a brand new mtb, but if you have to sell it again you will loose more on a new buy than 2nd hand. So going 2nd might be worth it.

Giant XTC

Merida HFS1000 or anything above HFS500

Silverback Sierra

Giant Talon

Scott Spark 40 or 50

There are plenty of kick-ass options.

Thanks for the advice so far.

Been looking around for 2nd hand and not really finding a lot out there.

Went to a Cycle shop yesterday and they have the following:

New for R8K I have been shown this one:

http://www2.giant-bicycles.com/en-GB/bikes/model/talon.1/4901/39104/

And for R9K this one:

http://www.orbea.com/en/bicis/modelos/satellite/ficha_tecnica/

Then there?s also a cheaper Giant for R6K with a Preload shock' date='Deore Gears, and non-hydraulic Heinz Brakes. 

I'm Still looking around before I make a purchase though.

[/quote']

Don't look on the UK site. Giant has different sites for different markets/regions. We currently import the International range of Giant bikes so please look at that site for the correct spec and colours.

I would say go for Giant rather than Orbea. I got a great Gary Fisher Marlin Hardtail for about R6K. Deore components. I have been very happy with it!

My story:

Started MTB-ing in 2006 on a second hand Giant Boulder that I got from a mate. Weighed 115kg's at the time. Went to Jonkershoek on my first ride for the 10 km circular route. Thought that I was going to die from a heart attack! Stopped at the river crossing 1/2 way and looked around me. Then lost 20 odd kg's in the following months by altering my diet slightly and exercising. Was soon able to do 20 and 30km rides and started on the shorter race routes. Bought a road bike in 2007 to compete in the longer road rides and upgraded my MTB to a hard core race snake hard tail (fake it until you make it, I say). I love every minute on the bike and cannot imagine a weekend away without exploring the nearby mountains on my bike.

Start small and reward yourself with a better bike when you reach your goals (losing weight, riding a certain time on your training route, number of races completed) You'll also have a much better idea of what you want and you would have met some awesome people to assist you with making decisions on important things like duel sus bikes, groupsets, etc.

Hope you like the sport and well done on taking a step towards a healthier lifestyle.

You are in good hands here on the hub.

My story:

Started MTB-ing in 2006 on a second hand Giant Boulder that I got from a mate. Weighed 115kg's at the time. Went to Jonkershoek on my first ride for the 10 km circular route. Thought that I was going to die from a heart attack! Stopped at the river crossing 1/2 way and looked around me. Then lost 20 odd kg's in the following months by altering my diet slightly and exercising. Was soon able to do 20 and 30km rides and started on the shorter race routes. Bought a road bike in 2007 to compete in the longer road rides and upgraded my MTB to a hard core race snake hard tail (fake it until you make it' date=' I say). I love every minute on the bike and cannot imagine a weekend away without exploring the nearby mountains on my bike.

Start small and reward yourself with a better bike when you reach your goals (losing weight, riding a certain time on your training route, number of races completed) You'll also have a much better idea of what you want and you would have met some awesome people to assist you with making decisions on important things like duel sus bikes, groupsets, etc.

Hope you like the sport and well done on taking a step towards a healthier lifestyle.

[/quote']

Nice post...!

I could not agree more...went from a Schwinn Mesa LTD 17kg to a (currently in box) Rocky Mountain Element in 2 years....

oh yes.....I dumped a 17 year smoking habit soon after I managed the 10km Jonkies loop in one go....

but yes....that first Jonkies loop ride took 3 hours...LOL...thought I'd die....and we slept for almost the whole sunday thereafter....LOL...

As mentioned you do not need to spend thousands on kit and other than a good helmet and decent pair of cycle shorts the rest can be obtained later, i cycled off road for about a year in takkies before changing to cleats.  2nd hand bikes to look at are Merida (produced in same factory as Specilized), Schwinn or even something like a V brake Trek 4500. A good specced v brake bike will be almost as effective and cost a lot less than a disk set up and some V frames such as Merida LX HFS can be disk fitted

I'd suggest a GT avalanche 2.0 It's supposed to be a lekker entry level bike, but it's got some cool components and the hydraulic disc brakes gives you a bit more confidence on the drops. They go for about 5-7 grand.

And gear schmear, I did a 3000km tour in the states with regular shorts and t-shirts, I only wore cycling pants underneath my shorts about every third day and I cycled in my birkinstock sandles most of the way. That was on tar tough, on mtb I just use takies with stiff soles and flat pedals.

Get a good helmet and buy the rest of the stuff as you feel you need them.

I'm not cycling competatively, so that might be the reason for my lack of gear, but neither will you in the first few months, so again, buy as you need it, you will also have a better idea of exactly what you want.

My story:

Started MTB-ing in 2006 on a second hand Giant Boulder that I got from a mate. Weighed 115kg's at the time. Went to Jonkershoek on my first ride for the 10 km circular route. Thought that I was going to die from a heart attack! Stopped at the river crossing 1/2 way and looked around me. Then lost 20 odd kg's in the following months by altering my diet slightly and exercising. Was soon able to do 20 and 30km rides and started on the shorter race routes. Bought a road bike in 2007 to compete in the longer road rides and upgraded my MTB to a hard core race snake hard tail (fake it until you make it' date=' I say). I love every minute on the bike and cannot imagine a weekend away without exploring the nearby mountains on my bike.

[/quote']

Thanks for the great advice and indeed a nice post!

I'm still looking around, and hopefully will be sorted soon with a bike.

Welkom Werner!

Doen nou iets reg van die begin af en moenie jou tyd mors nie.

Koop vir jou 'n Morewood Zula!

20091209_102406_Morewood_Zula.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Frame and rear shock = R17 000

Die res van die bike is custom built (bou jou huidige komponente oor op die frame of gaan kry presies wat jy wil he)

Dit is een van die aspekte wat my aantrek na die Zula: Ek hoef dan nie 'n "stock standard" fiets van die vloer af te neem nie.

My droom Zula (in wit natuurlik)

Rock shox SID Team Dual air 100 mm pushlock

SRAM gripshifts

SRAM X0 dereulleurs

Manatou louise brakes (white with carbon levers)

FSA stem, FSA K force XC bar en FSA K Force 25mm setback seat post

Chris King BB en Headset
Race face Turbine chainrings

FSA Carbon Cranks

Crank brothers candy pedals

SRAM red casette

Fizik Tundra seat

Mavic SLR wheelset
GEAX Saguaro front and back