Help needed with 3G connection

Kobie

< ="-" ="text/; =utf-8">< name="ProgId" ="Word.">< name="Generator" ="Microsoft Word 9">< name="Originator" ="Microsoft Word 9"><>

Recently I've been experiencing many problems

with my 3g modem with regards to download speed. It starts of with a very good

signal, but the download speed drops from 4-10kbps to 0bps and then stays there

for a while. Ramps up again but drops to 0 within a few seconds.

20091201_135059_29112009262.gif20091201_135651_29112009261.gif

Is this due to bad reception. Then why does the signal shows to be strong.

20091201_135244_29112009261.gif

There are a number of factors that influence a 3G connection. The Vodaphone modems are also notorious for dropping packets mid connection. It all depends how many people are sharing the connection during that particular time. If you are in a busy area if could be due to the contention ratio being redunce because too many subscribers are online. If you are continuously having the problem then it could be a faulty modem. The only way to really test this is with another modem using your same sim card. It is a wireless connection after all so the reliability will never touch an ADSL connection for example.

Thanks, maybe it is time to get ADSL. In the beginning it was super fast, but now it is more a frustration than anything else. It took me more an hour to compose the message!!

Thanks' date=' maybe it is time to get ADSL. In the beginning it was super fast, but now it is more a frustration than anything else. It took me more an hour to compose the message!!

[/quote']

If mobility is not an issue go ADSL. In need you could always use your mobile to connect.

Hi Kobie

Been struggling with connection issues for 6 months. In my area it is known by network suppliers that i should expierence problems, go to your network provider website and see whats your main signal in the area (looks like you have vodacom and they show it pretty clearly), set your settings to it and you might expierence slower connection, but more consistant. I also see that you are in MP, try rather network like mtn in those regions, get far better signal.

Then you also get network enhancers, they help a lot. You get ones for home use and companies...but the ones for companies is very expensive.

It has nothing to do with your modem, just the quality from your network supplier.

Try to isolate the problem: is it the modem, the network, ?the time of day / month or what?

Try another modem

Try another way to connect: you can even use your phone via bluetooth, generally it wont be HSDPA but GPRS or EDGE connection which is a bit slower but okay for checking your email, and more reliable but will help isolate the problem.

Could also be signal degredation: an antenna booster might help even though your bars look good. You do get external antenna to boost the gain in marginal areas.

Our experience has been HSDPA needs optimum conditions to work and its easily overloaded and fall apart under load: thus its way overmarketed and a lot of dissapointment and time wasted by many. Dont believe the hype.

iBurst might be a bit better if you are in range and needs wirelesss broadband. Thats a different wireless system to GSM/HSDPA. Otherwise for regular high speed and generally reliable connection for fixed location ADSL is the only way to go.?