New RST Suspension Forks

Justin

Is anyone using one of the new RST forks? www.rst.com.tw

RST always used to make entry level forks, but they are now trying to take on the big guys. Obviously a lot cheaper also.

I would like to know how these forks actually perform.

Anyone?

Yeah, I know.

I'm currently torn between getting a second hand Recon Race or a new RST First Air. Roughly same price.

I would like to hear from someone that is riding with one.

I had a top end RST about 10yrs ago and it compared well to the (then) Rockshox Judy's which were the top end forks then. The RST range has always been bubbling under the major brands - the same as suntour forks they are actually quite good for the price you pay...

Justin, the forks are still lower end than Rock Shox and Fox. Big guns like Manitou, Magura and even Specialized's own brand have been battling for years to compete with the big two, so I can't imagine RST getting it right for at least another couple of years.

Having said that, they offer much better value for money.

I have found that some of them are okay once worked in, but they don't give the same performance for as long as a Fox or RS.

Justin' date=' the forks are still lower end than Rock Shox and Fox. Big guns like Manitou, Magura and even Specialized's own brand have been battling for years to compete with the big two, so I can't imagine RST getting it right for at least another couple of years.

Having said that, they offer much better value for money.

I have found that some of them are okay once worked in, but they don't give the same performance for as long as a Fox or RS. [/quote']

Can you perhaps be a bit more specific? Which part of its performance started to deteriorate and what were the symptoms?

Ya me too as Manitou has never been battling, maybe in this country, but internationally not, as well as Magura forks they are huge in europe!

RST started the same time as Rockshox, and like suntour and spinner forks the reason they haven't made a huge impact is because they manufacture a lot of forks for other companies....

...and RST manufactures some excellent low and mid tier forks.

One of the best damped forks I've tried out was a RST

I know a little off-topic here... but that little flash video at the site is funny as hell! What an excellent intro to the web-site!

So, I have R2100. Do I go for the new RST First air, or a second hand Recon Race?

I am certainly leaning towards the RST...it's new, it seems like the same technology as all the rest and it's not like RST is new to bicycle forks.

I know a little off-topic here... but that little flash video at the site is funny as hell! What an excellent intro to the web-site!

That's one of the worst animations I've seen in a while. Looks like it was done by a first-year graphic design student.

Back on topic though:

I don't know if the forks are any good, but I would go for the RST. I like supporting the underdog and I like having something different.

Emailed my buddy to get the fork's name so I can give specifics, but here is the just of it: A guy who rides with me from time to time bought a new Reba for his bike. Wife moaned a bit so he started shopping for a Reba for her. But cause she doesn't MTB that often he decided to go either 2nd hand or RST. Not sure if he was weighing up other options as well. If I remember correct he bought a RST First. It?s an air fork with Rebound, Compression and Lock Out. Setting the fork up was a bit of a chore as the R & C had a very small tuneable range. In the end we battled so much to get it almost there that we left it somewhere between a host of settings. Out on the trail it was okay, but not close to his Reba. Which was expected as it?s a lot cheaper.

She was happy enough to have new fork that was better than the "mobile anchor" the bike came with. Like I said she doesn't ride that often so we were quite surprised when the fork started giving issues. A seal went, then the fork lost about 40mm of its 100mm travel. In it went to the LBS. It managed to get most of the travel back, but his wife complained that it was harsh. So we started set-up from scratch and found it even harder to get it to a workable setting. Compression range was almost non-existent.

Managed to get a warranty replacement, but it leaked oil straight out of the box. He was offered another replacement, but in the end he decided to ditch it and buy a Reba for her as well. If I remember correct it was from a fellow hubber.

To make thing worse somewhere along the line he bought one of their 130mm forks for his Felt Virtue. In his defence it was in while his wife was still happy with hers. He doesn?t ride the Virtue as often as the Anthem so it didn't seem like a big risk.

The fork felt harsh no matter what we tried. LBS stripded and rebuilt it, but it didn't help. Bike would blow through the first 40-50mm then go all stiff. Usable travel was only around 110mm. And we tried everything. Even running it as soft as soft serve in summer it still wouldn't give more than 110mm. Setting it at normal sag made it unridable and would only yield 90mm?s travel. He popped a seal taking the small jump between the two trees in Majik after the first bridge. Something a HT will handle with ease!

So that was it for him. Took it off and replaced it with a 32 Talas. I can tell you in detail how much effort we put into the set-up of the forks, but I will bore you.

Another fellow rider fitted a RST to Meta Ltd and replaced it after three months, one replaced a Coil RS with an Air RST and complained that the Coil RS hadled better than the Air RST. Even though the RST had R & C settings.

Yes, I know they are budget forks and yes I know you can?t compare them with a RS or Fox. But for me I would think that would mean feel and ultimate performance. And weight. Not travel, seals and ultimate performance. It would be okay if it wasn?t as plush the competition, but not if it?s harsh.

To be fair a lady friend had one fitted to her bike and she loves it.

Maybe not fair to base judgement on five forks, but four out of five unhappy customers does tell you something.

Interesting feed back Crow. We started importing RST late last year and we haven't had any problems with the forks, could be earlier models? I know Dragon was the importer previously. Worst I've seen was seal that needed a bit of lube on it.