Conti Gatorskins vs Black Chili

MCDreyer

Can anyone tell me the difference between the Gatorskins and the Black chili's.

I know the Black chili's are a more 'race specific' tyre, but would a rider like myself (PPA B-index) really note a difference between the 2 tyres? Training and racing on the same tyre? I have Black chili's on at the moment but if I put on Gatorskins would that have an effect on my time in a race at all?

Not much of an effect that you will notice.

The black chilli tend to puncture less though....personal experience....

Black Chilli is the Conti trademark for the rubber they use in their tyres, the gatorskins have Black Chilli rubber, I think you mean the GP4000? If so then the differnce is huge, the GP4000 is lighter and has a more supple ride to it being a foldup tyre whereas the gatorskins normally sold (you can get GP 4 seasons with gatorskin) are a wire bead.For all the info go to http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/de/en/continental/bicycle/general/home/index_en.html

It should have all the answers and models of tyres

Most makers of tires have to create a "niche" for themselves. Why you should buy their tire and not the tire from the competition. They invent names for their "patented" rubber compounds. Like "Stick-E" or "Black Chilli" or "C3 compound". Words like these look fancy on the walls of tires. Also consider other magic words like "For racing only" and "Extreme conditions". What you should read is the hardness of the compound. A harder 70a compound will last longer with less traction and the softer 60a or less for more traction but at a possible reduction in tread life.  

I have the GP4000 Black Chili's on at the moment and very happy. Never had a puncture also.

They are just really expensive and am looking at buying the Gatorskins rather but don't want to "downgrade" really. Or to such an extend where I will start noticing it.

I have a set of Gators on my training wheels and a set of GP4000's on my race wheels, best of both worlds, then the GP4000's last forever...