Overtake

Woofie

The way so many have defended this dangerous driving' date=' I take it you are all roadies smiley4.gif [/quote']

LOL

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Woofie' date=' if you really want to do something worthwhile with this pic, take it to the police station in the area with details of place, date and time. Posting it on the hub will give you a nice warm fuzzy feeling inside but that is all. [/quote']

Actually thinking about it, maybe I should take the pic to the PPA........

They are pretty effecient with the whole white line thing........ LOL

i stand corrected but i think you're allowed a small margin of speeding when overtaking as this is actually safer.

once you've completed the maneuver you reduce speed back to the limit...

i stand corrected but i think you're allowed a small margin of speeding when overtaking as this is actually safer.

You are corrected. The speed limit is the limit. If the guy in front of you is doing 120 you cannot pass him.

I know you have been corrected already, but seriously, OMG.... No wonder...Confused

Williedog, I'm coming to squat in your backyard...

That doesn't look very dangerous to me. In a few metres time the line becomes broken to allow the overtake.

I'm guessing you used your phone to take the pic?

James

LOL

clearly two wrong don't make a right.

agree, theres no danger here and the line is soon to be a broken one. In all likelyhood the photographer was jealous that they were over taken. can't see any harm here....unlike the bunch of 10 that cruised through Fish Hoek, KalkBay's red Traffic lights this morning..

LOL

but the truck is the first one in the wrong. You are not allowed to drive in the yellow lane. I like the trucks that have the stickers on the back "GEEL STREEP SE MOER". Want to get one for my car aswell.

The mountainbiker would have overtaken on the lefthandside in some kind of fourwheeldriving thingie, thats the way to do it.

And if your from the east rand you would have sommer filled up with petrol when passing the tanker.

You are corrected. The speed limit is the limit. If the guy in front of you is doing 120 you cannot pass him.

I also had it that you can only be caught for speeding in the lane you are travelling towards, in other words not when "speeding" in the right hand lane to overtake...   Guess not then Confused

but the truck is the first one in the wrong. You are not allowed to drive in the yellow lane.

Visibility is good for more than 150m, there appears to be nothing in the yellow lane and the truck has moved over to let someone overtake. He's not doing anything illegal.

Edman2009-12-08 09:15:31

Correction - the vehicle being passed may, if the conditions permit him to and the action is safe, move over into the yellow line in order to let faster vehicles pass.

BUT you have to get back in the normal lane after the vehicle has passed, otherwise you are continually driving in the yellow lane, which is an offence.

Read below...

Passing of vehicle

298. (1) Subject to the provisions of subregulation (2) and (4) and regulation

296, the driver of a vehicle intending to pass any other vehicle proceeding in the same

direction on a public road shall pass to the right thereof at a safe distance and shall

not again drive on the left side of the roadway until safely clear of the vehicle so

passed: Provided that, in the circumstances as aforesaid, passing on the left of such

vehicle shall be permissible if the person driving the passing vehicle can do so with

safety to himself or herself and other traffic or property which is or may be on such road

and--

1. the vehicle being passed is turning to its right or the driver thereof has signalled his

or her intention of turning to his or her right;

2. such road is a public road in an urban area and--

1. is restricted to vehicles moving in one direction; and
  2. the roadway is of sufficient width for two or more lines of moving vehicles;

1. such road is a public road in an urban area and the roadway is of sufficient width for

two or more lines of moving vehicles moving in each direction;

2. the roadway of such road is restricted to vehicles moving in one direction and is

divided into traffic lanes by appropriate road traffic signs; or

3. he or she is driving in compliance with the directions of a traffic officer or is

driving in traffic which is under the general direction of such officer, and in accordance

with such direction:

Provided further that in no event shall any passing referred to in paragraph (a), (b),

© or (d) be done by driving on the shoulders of the roadway or on the verge of the

public road concerned.

(2) The driver of a vehicle shall not pass other traffic proceeding in the same

direction on a public road when approaching--

1. the summit of a rise;
  2. a curve; or
  3. any other place

where his or her view is so restricted that any such passing could create a hazard in

relation to other traffic which might approach from the opposite direction, unless--

1. he or she can do so without encroaching on the right-hand side of the roadway; or
  2. the roadway of such road is restricted to vehicles moving in one direction.

(3) The driver of a vehicle on a public road shall, except in the circumstances

referred to in the first proviso to subregulation (1), upon becoming aware of other

traffic proceeding in the same direction and wishing to pass his or her vehicle, cause his

or her vehicle to travel as near to the left edge of the roadway as is possible, without

endangering himself or herself or other traffic or property on the roadway, and shall not

accelerate the speed of his or her vehicle until the other vehicle has passed.

(4) When about to pass oncoming traffic, the driver of a vehicle on a public road shall

ensure that the vehicle driven by him or her does not encroach on the roadway to his or

her right in such manner as may obstruct or endanger such oncoming traffic.

(5) The driver of a vehicle intending to pass a stationary bus on a public road shall

do so with due care for the safety of persons who are approaching or leaving or may

approach or leave such bus.

Prohibition on driving on shoulder of public road, except in certain circumstances

298A. (1) Subject to subregulation (2) and regulation 298(1)(e), no person

shall drive a motor vehicle on the shoulder of a public road.

(2) Notwithstanding subregulation (1), the driver of a motor vehicle may, during the

period between sunrise and sunset, drive such motor vehicle on the shoulder of a public

road which is designated for one lane of traffic in each direction--

1. while such motor vehicle is being overtaken by another vehicle; and
  2. if he or she can do so without endangering himself or herself, other traffic,

pedestrians or property on such public road; and

3. if persons and vehicles upon a public road are clearly discernible at a distance of at

least 150 metres.

also note that it is NOT illegal to "undertake" (pass to the left) if: On the freeway, passing a right-turning car, or under the direction of a Plod - Unless you drive in the shoulder and are not told to do so by Plod.

Who's to say that the police car isn't reversing in the right hand lane...My question is why wasn't he driving forwards...It's common knowledge that it's much easier to pull a trailor driving forwards than to try push it driving backwards...what nextErmm