Licenses for Cyclists

EZRider

For those of you proposing that cyclists get licenses, pass exams and riding tests and pay the government money in order to be able to ride a bike I have a few questions:

Are you so arrogant that in your elitist, little world you assume that you are the ALPHA and the OMEGA of cycling?

Being a farmer I live in a rural community and work with illiterate and semi literate folk who have no, absolutely NO, chance of passing a written learners test and have neither the time, the logistics, nor the money to take a practical test.

Would your self righteous, quick fix approach not deprive them of their only means of transport and possibly even their income?

Would you initiate yet another grossly mismanaged and corrupt government institution to reap in kick backs from driving schools and force our youth to resort to bribery in order to avoid long, multi day queues in front of dingy offices?

Do you think that our current motor vehicle testing and licensing system has drastically reduced the number of road fatalities? Has it made our roads safer for motorists, pedestrians or cyclists?

Many of the cyclists killed on our roads are killed while obeying the laws of the road by LICENSED motorists.

On a more selfish note: I already have a drivers license so I know what a STOP sign means. If your actions do indeed force me into a beurocratic nightmare and possibly off my bicycle for good. Then a POX on you!

TZmtb2009-12-10 01:04:34

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally agree with you.

Well said.

The animosity and rage towards cyclist on the roads was caused by a few cyclists. Now we all are branded as unlawful road users by motorist.

I hear that daily at worked from my colleague?s. Especially when they were forced to take evasion action because cyclist does not adhere to the laws of the road

1. you will wait 6 months before you can get an appointment

2. that moegoe that tests you proberbly can't ride a bike himself

3. I just added a point three to make my list look better

4. You still reading this?

some good points there' date=' TZmtb. i would, however, like to see more traffic education for youngsters.[/quote']

I agree holy. Something needs to be done and traffic ed for kids would help.

My kid's school does that, having bicycle days with the local law and fun rides.

I am not against a solution. I am just against a solution that has dubious merit at best, poses insurmountable problems at worst and will seriously inconvenience me, you and many other prospective cyclists.

dont foget to address the drunk oaks on bikes in the rural areas in Limpopo.... How da cops gonna cope with that? 

the same 'class' that will never pass the test, will have it revoked on the way to the testing ground....

Good point(s)!

You know, when you put it the way that TZmtb has, it makes perfect sense. While it would be a good idea to have some form of licensing of/for cyclists in place, the logistics of this causes the argument to crumble into nothing.

I think the idea put forward by HR and seconded my TZmtb makes  about the most sense.

It is only through education that things changes. ANYTHING.

I'm with the Farmer chap! This is super ridiculous, If and  when the police catch the cyclists that is obeying the law, then fine them and act according to the law. But to just come out and want to ban this and that..........!

Come on man, go get a life or some more prozac or something! Angry

TZmtb,

So youhave illiterates in your community.

Why are they illerate?

What have you done to lift the literacy rate.

Chcild education on rules of the road is an excellent idea and should be part of the school curriculum. When I was in primary school it was. then somewhere in the 80's it dropped away. Too expensive or something or the traffic police no longer had the competency time.

No onw wants to be inconvenienced by have to follow a licensing process and sure licenses don't solve road deaths, a change of attitude does.

Starting education at grassroots is wonderful but waht about all the adults on push bikes who have drivers licenses yet can't understand what a red light means or even then big red and white hexagonal board with a 4 letter word on it?

You want to educate them? Just try it and see what the response is.

If you feel that licensing is an inconvenince then don;t bother with your drivers either. I mean why the heck should you have a drivers license if your old man taught you to drive a bakkie on the plaas?

What's a "Linceses"? Doesn't sound to great. Do I have to stop being a cyclist if a don't take one?

Chcild education on rules of the road is an excellent idea and should be part of the school curriculum. When I was in primary school it was. then somewhere in the 80's it dropped away. Too expensive or something or the traffic police no longer had the competency time.

You must be referring to Danny the Cat! Danny the Cat says "look left, then look right, then look left again..."

Quick search on the net and I see he still exists (link), although not as cool as when I was at school!

What's a "Linceses"? Doesn't sound to great. Do I have to stop being a cyclist if a don't take one?

Suppose so but for now you can continue being a muppet without a licence - I will smiley1.gif

Suppose so but for now you can continue being a muppet without a licence - I will smiley1.gif

Sweet! No licence, and definitely no Lincese on the horizon for meBig%20smile

Guest Agteros

<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

TZmtb' date=' quite right on all points. SAPS / Metro / Provincial police do not even have enough resources to enforce existing legislation. Cycling licences will just add another beaurocratic nightmare (and financial black hole). The easiest way to educate road users (pedestrians / cyclists / motorists / etc) will be to do it from school age. This has to happen in primary school as not everybody is lucky enough to attend high school. (sad, but the reality of the world we live in).

GoLefty, you seem to want to pick a fight.  Remember the saying about people in glass houses? Well, please provide us with your 'upliftment' credentials and success stories.

I agree, as above, that this education should start with children. It is sad, but sometimes you have to look at what you can salvage, and with a lot of things the current generation might be too far gone. There are just to many 'bad habits' entrenched. Creating laws to criminilize these behaviours might seem like a easy answer, but these same people will still ride their bicycles (even though he might be doing it "illegally" now). Instead of solving a problem, there are now two problems to solve...

Hordes of pedestrians are killed on our roads every year, should we have licenses for pedestrians to walk next to the road / on a foot path / on the pavement? 

Surely we should adopt the attitude that the road belong to the most vulnerable user (pedestrian, then cyclist, then motorcyclists, then car....) and with each higher (motorised) category additional licensing burdens being imposed?

What's a "Linceses"?

Some of use can write lysdexic, but other cannot read dyslexic Wink Tongue

Good call Agteros... Make the vehicle licenses so excessive, no one can afford to drive. Oh, wait, how many un-licensed cars are out there already? Sorry, nevermind, I'll crawl back under my linces and keep quiet...