Licenses for Cyclists

EZRider

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Agteros
Good call Agteros... Make the vehicle licenses so excessive' date=' no one can afford to drive. Oh, wait, how many un-licensed cars are out there already? Sorry, nevermind, I'll crawl back under my linces and keep quiet... [/quote']

TNT1, that same principle of steeper licensing fees for bigger vehicles are in place already... Confused They use GMV to determine licensing fees...

Good call Agteros... Make the vehicle licenses so excessive' date=' no one can afford to drive. Oh, wait, how many un-licensed cars are out there already? Sorry, nevermind, I'll crawl back under my linces and keep quiet... [/quote']

TNT1, that same principle of steeper licensing fees for bigger vehicles are in place already... Confused They use GMV to determine licensing fees...

Doesn't seem to be helping then, is it? Seems like there are far more accidents involving trucks, busses, whatever than regular cars, let alone bicycles...

Guest Agteros

Doesn't seem to be helping then, is it? Seems like there are far more accidents involving trucks, busses, whatever than regular cars, let alone bicycles...

Paying licenses will NOT prevent accidents... attitudes will prevent accidents. But that is not what this whole thread is about. It is about cycling licenses (being some kind of certificate showing cycling / road usage proficiency)
Agteros2009-12-09 06:28:47

For those of you proposing that cyclists get licenses' date=' pass exams and riding tests and pay the government money in order to be able to ride a bike I have a few questions:

Are you so arrogant that in your elitist, little world you assume that you are the ALPHA and the OMEGA of cycling?

Being a farmer I live in a rural community and work with illiterate and semi literate folk who have no, absolutely NO, chance of passing a written learners test and have neither the time, the logistics, nor the money to take a practical test.

Would your self righteous, quick fix approach not deprive them of their only means of transport and possibly even their income?

Would you initiate yet another grossly mismanaged and corrupt government institution to reap in kick backs from driving schools and force our youth to resort to bribery in order to avoid long, multi day queues in front of dingy offices?

Do you think that our current motor vehicle testing and licensing system has drastically reduced the number of road fatalities? Has it made our roads safer for motorists, pedestrians or cyclists?

Many of the cyclists killed on our roads are killed while obeying the laws of the road by LICENSED motorists.

On a more selfish note: I already have a drivers license so I know what a STOP sign means. If your actions do indeed force me into a beurocratic nightmare and possibly off my bicycle for good. Then a POX on you!
[/quote']

AGREED

SHEEEESHHHH

WTF....

A BICYCLE F F S ( YES FOR F*(&%%$) SACKES)

IF U OWN A CAR U HAVE A LIC TO USE THE ROAD....

Our police and metro police should do there jobs and fine the few dudes causing theproblems -

Geez

IF U OWN A CAR U HAVE A LIC TO USE THE ROAD....

Just by owning the car? Not quite, and besides, why did I have to get a separate motorcycle license?

Does having a driver's licence stop people from disobeying road law? No. So what makes anyone think that having a cycling licence will make some cyclists suddenly obey all traffic laws?

Agteros - good points and I agree with you.

How the hell are these rural cyclists going to afford the bribes. Refer to the extract below:

Dear Colleagues<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Stop corruption

Our chairman, Laurie Dippenaar, sent me this story, which was written by a concerned lady:

?I had the honour of being stopped by SAP in a ?roadblock? yesterday afternoon.  My car license disc had expired, but I had my new one as I had just been to the licensing department to renew it.  I wasn?t given an opportunity to show it but was asked for ?colddrink? money by the policeman concerned. 

I declined to assist him and called the Anti Corruption Hotline.  His colleagues decided to get involved and with much shouting, finger pointing and gesticulating at me told me just to go.  I refused to be intimidated, despite their best efforts and explained that I was waiting for the Anti Corruption Unit who had promised to send a car immediately.  I noted that none of the people doing the stopping carried any form of paperwork so I am not sure how they would have actually issued the fine they used as their bargaining tool.

In the 20 minutes I was parked on the side of the road they did not stop any other vehicles.  When I was first stopped, there was a car per person.  None of them (6 in total on my side of the road) were wearing their name badges. 

They realized I was not going anywhere and so decided to pack up their little scam and move to greener pastures.  When the Anti Corruption Unit contacted me, I provided them with the license plate number of their marked minibus.  I have been given the investigating officer?s details and have been promised that I would be given feedback.   The Anti Corruption Unit was great and the call centre did call me back with progress on where their response vehicle was etc.

My mother experienced a similar situation outside Leeukop Prison the day before, again with SAP and not Metro.  When she refused to pay the colddrink money and asked to be given the promised R700 fine, she was just waved off. 

If everybody keeps the Anti Corruption number handy and reports any similar incidents, we can collectively help stamp out this practice and, at the same time, help support the efforts of the thousands of honest and hardworking SAPS members who must be incredibly frustrated by those of their colleagues that let the side down.

The number is 0800 203 712.?

I have tested the number and it works. Like Laurie I now have it in my cellphone.  May I suggest you do the same?   With a small effort we can make a big dent in corruption. 

I agreee with the fact that we don't need to have licenses for cyclists. If you have a drivers license (and got it legitmately) then you have passed a learner's exam and the actual driver's test and therefore you should know what all the road signs mean and how to obey then.

For those of use who were in primary school before the 90's we were also subject to road safety education and this included how to cycle on the road as well.

We are also at the most risk when we are out cycling cause a car hurts when you hit it (ask me I know) and I am sure we all take relatively good precautions to ensure that we obey the rules of the road and have a safe ride.

We should be looking at the bigger problem here and that is that a lot of motorists (cars, trucks, taxis and even SAPS) do not have any respect for cyclists and think that they should not be on the road. I stopped cycling because of this and am now looking to start again but this time on a MTB

We should be looking at the bigger problem here and that is that a lot of motorists (cars' date=' trucks, taxis and even SAPS) do not have any respect for cyclists and think that they should not be on the road.

[/quote']

I know! Make them buy a license - that will teach them to respect cyclists!

Make them go through a test, no wait, make that two tests (make one a practical) and then that will teach them to respect us!

And then as an aside, when we come across someone who cannot read or write, teach them that a part of the process!

If I had a single shock Cannondale I would sell it and use the money to uplift the community!

stevenvj, I actually agree with what you say. I just could not stop myself responding to other members of this community.

If I had a single shock Cannondale I would sell it and use the money to uplift the community!

Hi Gasping, while community upliftment is a good and necessary task, it would be a waste to sell such a masterpiece of a MTB (If you had one of course LOL)

wanna by mine? The LEfty is not for sale of course.

I would have to change my email if I sold and thats just too much effort

So I live outside of SA, does that mean when I come to SA for holiday I need to get an international bicycle license?

Upyours! Thumbs%20Down