RIP Alan van Heerden

rory21

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have just told Colin of Alan's death and he was upset , as he said Alan was his hero as he (Colin) grew up , and likewise to many of the young members of the S Tvl Schools Cycling Association. Colin now lives in Australia ,does anyone know how to contact Alan Dipple ?

Our condolences to Wendy, Vanessa .Shaun and Tyrone.

Ann Sturgess

Hi All,

Please note that Alan van Heerdens memorial will be held at the Fourways Memorial Garden on Saturday the 19th of Dec 09 at 10am-12pm and there will be lunch served afterwards.

If you would like directions please follow the link: http://www.fourwaysmemorialpark.co.za/docs/map_to_fourways_mem_park.pdf

All are welcome to celebrate the life and success of the idol. Im sure he will appreciate it.

Thank You

Tyrone van Heerden (His Son)

RIP old friend.

A true gentleman who I met as kids racing the old top star route on saterday afternoons and was fortunate enough to race against him in the 50+ cat this year.when we heard he was coming back we all crapped ourselves because we knew the hurt he would dish out once he was back to full fitness.

Condolences to Shaun,Tyrone,Wendy and Vanessa

He will live on in our hearts forever

Condolences to the family. very sad indeed

I had a Alan van Heerden T shirt as a kid and was proud wearing it everywhere!!

I remember him during the Rapport Tour in the heydays coming through our little town.

You were me and my brother`s childhood hero.

RIP Alan.

I will remeber him as a no nonsence straight talker who was willing to put his money where his mouth was when co-sponsoring a few teams I rode with in the early days. A man who had a reputation of being tough on and off the bike , a legacy that will make him an idol, ... very few in SA cycling history. 

A true legend, RIP Alan you were a great idol for everyone to look up to No matter what everyone said when you were alive

Just to fill you in. I have been a cycling nut since about 1968 as a little boy (but never took up riding till the late 80's) and followed Alan's career since the early 70's.

I met Alan on the road about 3 years ago. At the time he came to live in Gordons Bay for a while to re-focus on his live after he sold his business in JHB. I was going up Helshoogte one Sunday morning (at the time I could manage a 3 1/2 hr Argus) and about a kilo from the top he came flying passed me. I said "At least I don't feel too bad being passed by the great Alan van Heerden". He slowed down and said " I will go a bit slower, just take my wheel". The best kilo I have done in my life. Legendary stuff.

I was sorry to hear of the death of Alan Van Heerden , I met him in Belgium in the summer of 1980 , a sound guy.

Have there been any books written about A Van H ?

I am especially interested in the Rapport Toer wins and his time with Peugeot.