RIP Alan van Heerden

rory21

Alan was a huge part of me and my family's life for many years and we are deeply saddened by his sudden departure. May his soul rest in peace. My thoughts and prayers are with Wendy, Shaun and Tyrone through this difficult time.

Romy Schneigansz

smiley19.gif

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am deeply saddened by the news that Alan has passed away. He was a very important part of my life and was deeply loved and respected by me and my children and I will always remember the good times we shared as a family.

May his family know he is now rested and at peace.

My prayers are with Wendy, Shaun, Tyrone and Vanessa & family.

Anita Schneigansz

Guest Frail4Life

To All

?

Thanks so much to all of you for your kind words to my father. We are greatly appreciated to all of you and may we all rememebr the idol for the great man and father he was. He will be greatly missed and will remain with?love in our hearts forever.

?

Love you dad and will miss you

?

Shaun van Heerden

Dear Shaun

You and your Family are in my prayers. Keep strong and have faith. God Bless.

David

I started cycling in the 80's - when Alan was THE cyclist to admire and respect.  Was in awe when I met him once when doing a race in CT.  A real gentleman.

RIP Alan.  My thoughts and prayers to his family.

Cycling is part of me and my life.  Alan, thanks for your contribution in making this happen.

Frans Hansen

Guest Frail4Life

To all' date='

Thank You for all the support and kind words. He was loved and always will be. He was a legend and as humble as he was kind. He was an Idol and there will never be another "Idol" like he was.

We love you dad and you will live on in our hearts.

Tyrone van Heerden[/quote']

Dear Tyrone

You and your family are in my prayers. Keep your head strong and have faith. God Bless.

David

About a month ago I was stuck in late afternoon traffic in Crowthorne when a rider passed the long line of traffic next to the shoulder. I just thought - "Brave person to be commuting in Jozi".

A couple kays later on the Main Road extension back to Lonehill I managed to catch up to the rider. From the back the style was just great - big ring, hammering, fluid, graceful. When I came alongside and saw Idol I just felt contented. He looked super. At work.

I've known Idol for many years. Always was, always will be Idol. I am saddened at the prospect of not being able to share words with him.

To Wendy and the boys - condolences on your loss.

He was a man.

RIP Alan,

To Alan's boys my thoughts are with you in this trying time, may you have the strength to cope with the lose of your dad.

Your in my prayers!!

RIP. Let's remember him for all the good times he gave us. Please keep us informed about the mass ride for Alan. Our prayers are with you Tyrone van and the rest of your family and friends.

I bought from Alan the C40 on which he won the World Vets Championship in Austria in 1995.   I still have it...

Hi All' date='

Yes there will be mass ride for him Early nexy year.

The family will be getting through the tough time and we will arrange it after the December break.

I will keep you all up to date.

Tyrone van Heerden (His Son)[/quote']

What about some local guys organising their Ride' to start, finish, or run-by' the  Fourways Memorial Garden on Saturday the 19th of Dec 09 at 10am-12pm?

Cheers Al

Condolences to Wendy and your sons (who I never met) and Vanessa.

From our Junior days in Pepsi Rand Roads with Tony Impey and the Southern Tvl Track teams, through to the Rapport Tours and your racing in Peugeot in St Niklass -

Al had a great spirit and Gave (not sold - gave) me my first true racing bike back (his white Grand Prix that he won the Junior tour on in 1972!) when he worked for Grand Prix Cycles and Ronnie Jones.

We knew then how good you were and the world is a sadder place not having you here. Rode Amashova with him last year and caught up on old times.

The rider with the greatest style and sheer self - belief

RIP boet!

Have just told Colin of Alan's death and he was upset ' date=' as he said Alan was his hero as he (Colin) grew up , and likewise to many of the young members of the S Tvl Schools Cycling Association. Colin now lives in Australia ,does anyone know how to contact Alan Dipple ? Our condolences to Wendy, Vanessa .Shaun and Tyrone.Ann Sturgess

[/quote']

Hi Anne.

Had the good fortune to meet Alan Dipple in Sydney at the Master's worlds in 2007. He lives in Sydney and looks very fit and well. Mail him on Alan.dipple@daltonpackaging.co.au

Bruce Samuel ,who rode with VC Rand in the 80's has asked me to post the following message.

"My condolences to the van Heerden family . I was very saddened to hear of Alan's death.

I raced with VC Rand in Johannesburg in the 80's and was very fortunate to have been able to race and train with Alan many times over the years and enjoy the great service I received from his cycle shop.

I'm grateful for the chance I had to have ridden with with a rider of Alan's calibre and the other SA Pros and I will never forget those times.

I can only agree with so many of the  comments that have been posted:a sad loss for SA Cycling

Sincere regards to Alans family, "Boy" Bruce