Am I missing something ??

duckcoza

There seem to be numerous hardtail mnt bikes 4sale in the second hand section for around R10000 . All with similar part sets ??

Yet you can buy a Silverback Sierra brand new full XT with rockshox Recon for just over R10000 if you talk nicely to your LBS . They are listed at R11600 full retail , less 10%??

Have prices come down ??? Surely a secondhand bike is worth less ?? Or am I missing something ?? Are the Ally frames that different ??

It's not just the frame it's the fork,wheels, brakes,tyres and all the rest to.

Carbon is lighter than Alu but i personally don't like it to much.Maybe i am just old skool but i like the ride of steel and aluminium frames.

carbon is for roadies ....

Some Roadies.Wink

There are some of us who know what to do with our  money....

Some Roadies.Wink

like taking certain men for a time of pleasure and call it business?

Some Roadies.Wink

Wink

I agree, I am happy with my mostly aluminium RC9000.

The plastic bits are the pieces that cause me to worry the most.

Jumped, dropped, railed & bermed my Carbon Mojo on every single ride and didn't have a single issue.

My buddy broke a rear tri on Alu bike though...

OK lets not get into the "carbon vs alu" discussion guys and give the man adviceLOL.True that there are many pieces of equipment that make up the price/value of a bike. It really depends on what you need and at what level you are riding.Remember your LEGS do the talking above all.I'v done fairly ok in some small mtb races with my 2001 Schwinn Moab with V brakes.Spend as much as yout pocket comfortably permits.

Geoffro (Tull?), you are correct.

Here is my advice - buy what you are comfortable spending. My comment is always the same (bear with me for the Roadie analogy). I would rather be riding a Raleigh and pass a guy on a Pinarello than be the guy on the Pinarello.

Ask Lance (not a fan, but anyway) - it is not about the bike.

Now for my comment about second hand bike prices - DO YOUR RESEARCH! It is your money (or daddy's Wink) so watch out. Not all Hubbers have scruples (some got vaccinated!) Any seller wants to charge as much as possible and any buyer wants to pay as little as possible.

WindblownPE also has a valid point. My bike originally came out with 105 but when I got it it had Ultegra on. Big difference in functional spec and price.

Look at the package that is being offered not just the name of the frame.

To be honest, a 2nd hand bike for R10k should have a better fork than a Recon, and as mentioned above, the wheels/saddle/handlebars etc. can make a huge difference to the value of the bike... the new bike will probably be more reliable and cost less initially to maintain, but the used bike should be a better spec (if it isn't then don't pay R10k for it!).

It depends on what you're looking to use it for, if it's just for fun I'd say buy the new bike as you then know exactly how it's been maintained. If you're looking to race then used might be better for the higher spec...

And about that LA story, can someone please tell me how much it would cost to ride the same bike he rides and at the same time say it's not about the bike! The bike makes a big difference (I mean in terms of comparing a R10k bike to a R30k bike, not so much for only slightly better bikes - it's all about getting the balance across all the components).

Shanun231, it is not about the bike for me. I am no racing snake - for of a plodding hippo.

When you get into the rarefied atmosphere that these guys operate in, then I am sure there is something to it.

Conversely, would you back yourself if you and Lance swapped bikes for a friendly little race?

And about that LA story' date=' can someone please tell me how much it would cost to ride the same bike he rides and at the same time say it's not about the bike!
[/quote']

I seem to remember that Bicycling had an article on Lance's Trek before the last Tour de France and they estimated the cost at R98k.

Agreed Gasping, Comfort goes a long way to an enjoyabe ride. Components can always be upgraded and I guess thats where the additional cost comes in to it.

firefox2009-12-18 03:46:22

I would rather be riding a Raleigh and pass a guy on a Pinarello than be the guy on the Pinarello.

I do get a kick out of passing the Cervelo's etc on my little Toyota Corolla (Raleigh RC3000).

When I get 30 grand legs, then I'll get a 30 grand bike.

When I get 30 grand legs' date=' then I'll get a 30 grand bike.
[/quote']

Absolutely.

Unless of course I win big on Tata ma Chance. Then I too will give you joy as you pass me.